Looking at new tool boxes, need opinions

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well, I have been using my bench top and a shitty handled bin for tool storage. It is getting pretty annoying when I go to find a tool and have to comb through all of my crap to find it. Got a chance to cash in on a birthday gift here.

I am looking for something new b/c I won't be able to get my mom or old lady to get me something already used. I would like to get something I could build on. I have been looking at roll-away drawers and boxes so down the road I can get a chest to sit on top of it.

I was originally thinking craftman, but went to Sears and to say they are cheap and crappy is being nice. The drawers didn't roll for shit and they were wayyyy to thin. We don't have shit at our Lowes stores, so that was out of the question. I haven't been to Harbor freight tools though...might get somethin there.

What I have found is this-----> http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com...category&activeCategory=0&activeSubCategory=2

This has a lifetime warranty and the drawers are fuckin solid, the 5 drawer one only has a 10 year warranty though. Heavy construction, nice rugged finish and ball bearing drawers. Didn't even know these existed, but as soon as I got done playing around I knew it was pretty crucial.

Thoughts or ideas on other options would be greatly appreciated, also opinions on this one. Chances are I am going to splurge and get a 309 piece or bigger mechanics tool set from craftsman to fill this bitch up. The tools I currently have are too thinned out and I have been borrowing Danny's tool box for my current project. any ideas on tool sets would also be greatly appreciated. I can't afford a nice ass 1k box though. Really 500 bucks is the max on this one. Thanks and discuss.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/tls/2349772596.html

dont know what size yer looking for for a roll around but that bugger would work perfect and easily handle tons of tools, for a long time and you can put others makes of mid/upper boxes on it...my old coworker had one similar for a roll around cart....at least a couple times a year we'd drop and whole cradle/motor/trans down on top of it and the fucker would still roll around just fine

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
you impatient fucker! i told you i would give you my tools back after i put the trans back in. lol

but really, the box you posted looks pretty nice. as for ball bearing drawers, some craftsman boxes have them also. my box has the BB drawers with the locking handles which make you have to life up to open.

as awesome as it sounds to drop a motor on to a car and still allow it to roll, damn, snap on is expensive. or im to cheap.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Do a quick search, I had a thread just like this not too long ago. Lots of people agreed that the MasterForce boxes were pretty sweet and a decent price.

I ended up buying one myself! :)

2011-03-02%25252021.30.52.jpg

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Take your time in looking for a box that's going to fit you/your needs. Even a crappy box can last a long time if you take care of it.
Will the box stay in one place or roll around a lot? Keeping in mind anything heavy that you will be putting on top of the box while rolling it around.
Along with checking the casters and wheels look/feel the bottom of the box. Good wheels will still be crap if the base is crap.
Ball bearing drawers are nice but the basic sliding drawers are just fine if nicely lubricated. This really depends on a persons budget.
If you think you're going to roll it around from place to place. I highly suggest getting the type with self locking drawers. \
I got my craftsman box when they just came out with ball bearings but no self lock and i have to lock it with the key every time i roll it around the shop or else some of the drawers start to slide open. It's very annoying.

My .02

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well, I looked around at every store in springfield that sells tool boxes and decided to go with the Masterforce special edition one that was on sale at Menards. I got the lower roller cabinet only, but it is huge on its own. Definitely the nicest one that I looked at and it was a good price. It is a nice black finish with green handles. The drawer mechanism is very nice and sturdy. The casters were rated for 400 more lbs than any other one as well. The old lady was nice enough to get me a 309 piece Craftsman mechanics tool set to help fill it up. That should allow me to take some things apart and assemble them back together. I will post up pics later when I get it up and rolling. thanks for the input fellas

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info