Realistic pricing question on built fox body mustang hatchback

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
so we have this 1990 fox body mustang hatch (LX 5.0 version so none of the gt body stuff on it) -- body is from Texas, not seen chicagoland winter so not rust rotted away.

It was originally built to be an autocross warrior and has been to several autocross events but not since 2006.

The motor alone has over $5000 invested with less than 1000 miles since completed (stroker motor with goodies I don't have good knowledge about because it was my husband who built it and knows all the details) and it is currently very detuned to only about 350 hp (very conservative running rich because no dyno time yet to properly tune it)

It has other mods including:

5-bolt conversion
cobra brakes front and rear
painted to match roll bar (car is maroon)
cobra race seats w/6point camlock belts

..and probably tons of other stuff I'm forgetting....

currently sitting on 17x9 cobra wheels with 275 40 17 Avon techR race tires still almost new (Car has been to Road America, Waterford Hills and Grattan since completion)

My thought is we could easily sell the car for around $6k but my hubby thinks it would be best to just part it out, sell the engine alone for around $4000 and get plenty from parts and then just sell the shell with title in the end and says he thinks no one will pay even close to $6k around here especially with the economy.

We have been just letting this car sit in storage and driving it once a year (along with oil change once a year and it starts every time as if it hasn't even been sitting --- optima battery in trunk btw and car is mostly gutted)

thoughts anyone?

I'm guessing we really won't do anything for another year or 2 but wanted insight.

I still think he should daily drive it in summer but it doesn't have A/C ....it rumbles the house when it starts and there just puts such a huge smile on my face when I hear it (sitting there idling it just sounds so damn good --- 5.0 FTW!)

I don't know what fox bodies go for but $6000 seems like a pretty damn good deal for a car with that much money not only in the suspension but the engine too. Not to mention it's rust free which yes is a rarity around here for most fox bodies. Of course parting it out you'll get more money, but I don't think you would have a problem getting $6000. Personally though I would part it out. Sell off the engine and trans and then sell the shell with the suspension setup to an enthusiast. The fact that it's rust free you could get a pretty decent amount for it depending on the cars mileage.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
..he promised the rear end to a good friend so it won't even be discussed until after that swap what the plan is for the rest of it but I thought part out would be the better way to go as well.

My thought is to part it back as close to stock as possible and sell a rolling shell maybe?
Sell the motor, since you can probably get a good chunk for it. Then just list the car on various forums, with various options. Sell it as a complete roller with the suspension set up on it for X dollars, sell it with stock suspension for X dollars, etc. Or list it as a parts car and someone can buy the whole thing, or the parts they want.

That said, I might be interested in the seats... :rofl:

whats all done to it? what kind of heads? what intake? injected or carb? what trans? what gear? what suspension?

all that plays a roll.

exactly. all that is playing a factor.

saying " oh there is a ton of money in the motor" will never sell for 4k for a engine alone. id like to see this supposive 5000 dollar motor build list. mustang motors are a dirt cheap. hate to say it.

id try to sell it as a whole, with everything its got. could you make more parting it , maybe but all depends what all this motor modification is and the supposive "detuned" power is.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
exactly. all that is playing a factor.

saying " oh there is a ton of money in the motor" will never sell for 4k for a engine alone. id like to see this supposive 5000 dollar motor build list. mustang motors are a dirt cheap. hate to say it.

id try to sell it as a whole, with everything its got. could you make more parting it , maybe but all depends what all this motor modification is and the supposive "detuned" power is.

you've clearly never built an all out windsor based motor. not saying that the motor in question is all out but from the 5k price tag i'm assuming AFR heads, 331 stroker, trickflow intake and either a boss 302 or a CNC'd 302 possibly with support system and fully studded.

hell...AFR comp cnc'd heads alone are 1600+ for the pair
300 for cam
1400 for a good forged stroker kit
at least 700 for a basic cnc'd block if its still a windsor based, more if its a cleveland based
thats already almost 4k. figure main girdle support, valley support, studs all around, head bolts, pushrods, rockers, timing cover, timing chain, SFI dampener, oil pan, pickup tube, injectors, maf, chip and a tune with ignition you are well over 5k.

and thats if you do it all yourself.

but in all reality. that motor wouldn't go for more than 3k unless you got lucky, which can happen. they ARE a dime a dozen. and with folks going 10s on stock bottom end windsor based foxes...the need for a full out built motor isn't too great.

6k sounds like a good deal for a complete car.

if you guys part it out, let me know if the rotating assembley is 28oz balanced, if so, i'd like the dampener. and what kind of oil pan/ pickup tube are you guys using? i'd be interested in that as well.
and ignition system lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yeah, I have over $5K in my short block alone. But that is with an aftermarket block to support more than 500hp. A stock roller block 8.2" deck height motor is limited to about 500hp.

OP, If the motor in the car cost $5K to build I would say you will be lucky to get $2500 for it. Most people will go with the "For used stuff I pay half of what it cost new". Which is a good rule of thumb.

I would say list the car as a complete running car for one price. And also list it as a roller for another price. And of course the motor, trans and what ever else piece meal. See what you sell first and go that route.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, I have over $5K in my short block alone. But that is with an aftermarket block to support more than 500hp. A stock roller block 8.2" deck height motor is limited to about 500hp.

OP, If the motor in the car cost $5K to build I would say you will be lucky to get $2500 for it. Most people will go with the "For used stuff I pay half of what it cost new". Which is a good rule of thumb.

I would say list the car as a complete running car for one price. And also list it as a roller for another price. And of course the motor, trans and what ever else piece meal. See what you sell first and go that route.

ya. dart blocks can get kinda pricey :p even the boss 302 are pricey.
the worst part is...how much fucking bolts/studs cost. 500 dollars in that alone. argh.

op post some pics! i can look around see if anyones lookin for a built fox

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
ya. dart blocks can get kinda pricey :p even the boss 302 are pricey.
the worst part is...how much fucking bolts/studs cost. 500 dollars in that alone. argh.

Yeah, Tell me about it! haha I have to upgrade the rotating assembly in mine. I will have close to $10K in the new short block. :picard: You mention "light weight" and "billet" and things get REAL expensive! haha Hopefully this will be the last short block I need. Ever! lol

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Some more info on the shell and suspension stuff would be nice. Maybe some pictures of everything? I kind of threw around the idea of building a fox as an autocross warrior, but didn't know how viable that was. Wouldn't be interested in the motor as I would rather go with a fairly stock motor (or if I really wanted to go crazy aluminum block, but I wouldn't want to drop a ton of coin, to have stockish power) realistically I don't know what i want.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, Tell me about it! haha I have to upgrade the rotating assembly in mine. I will have close to $10K in the new short block. :picard: You mention "light weight" and "billet" and things get REAL expensive! haha Hopefully this will be the last short block I need. Ever! lol

lmao. its a lot of money but theres something about picking up a billet crank with one hand and rotating it around as if it weighed nothing....

oh god i love billet.

mywallethatesthatilovebillet!

i'll stick with basic forged internals on the fox. still slowly learning about them, don't want to go nuts out and blow shit up

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
lmao. its a lot of money but theres something about picking up a billet crank with one hand and rotating it around as if it weighed nothing....

oh god i love billet.

mywallethatesthatilovebillet!

i'll stick with basic forged internals on the fox. still slowly learning about them, don't want to go nuts out and blow shit up

Yeah, cool stuff for sure. But at about 1200 crank HP and more left in the turbo I think an upgrade would be a good idea. I don't want to break some thing and destroy the rotating assembly, can, block, damage the heads, etc. I see it as a insurance policy. lmao

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, cool stuff for sure. But at about 1200 crank HP and more left in the turbo I think an upgrade would be a good idea. I don't want to break some thing and destroy the rotating assembly, can, block, damage the heads, etc. I see it as a insurance policy. lmao

hahaha yeah at that point you're way too far in to be worrying about an extra 1k here and there

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Thanks for all the input guys.

We are toying with the idea of buying a nice 'daily driver' 94 or 95 'shell' from AZ to put this motor into and sell off the rest of the car in pieces and parts (no final decision made yet and right now we have ZERO time to do anything with it anyway)

I'm not sure what people define as a 'roach' but although this body isn't perfect, it isn't rusted anywhere since it is from Texas. To be much nicer it would need proper wheel arches to cover up what the previous owner did to allow 10" wide rims to fit :( (about the only really bad part of the car IMHO) but we already have replacement painted front fenders to get rid of the mistake in front and rear could just look 100% better with proper wheel arches installed!

maybe I can get around to taking some pics in a few weeks at least... lol

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
I'd sell it as a whole. My friend just sold his Foxbody with fresh paint and I think 65k on the clock for like 5200 bone stock besides exhaust. If it's a clean body and has a built motor, you can easily get 6k for it. Your husbands right about the economy thing though, a lot of people don't have 6k cash to spend on a car right now, they usually finance

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
yes, nothing is for sale now (not even my townhome where we are storing the mustang in my garage) thanks to the crappy economy so we wait to make a decision later (this wasn't a FS ad so my apologies if someone thought it was --- but that wasn't the intent here.. just trying to get a gauge for 'future' decision.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info