Learn me on stereos

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
The display on the stock deck in my GTP doesn't turn on sometimes, and I'd like to put an MP3 disc player in it anyways. But, I haven't bought a deck in 4 years or so.

I scanned thru crutchfield's website looking at decks. I see some that are bluetooth compatible, and some that will stream Pandora, and some that say Iphone/Ipod compatible. If it works with bluetooth, can you link any phone to it and play whatever off the phone? Can all decks be used with the steering wheel controls with an adapter, or do they have to be specific?

What are the good brands these days? I always used to have Pioneer, are they still decent? I like the look of Kenwood, and the prices seem decent.

:rofl: I feel like these are all dumb ass questions, but I really didn't see any of the answers where I was looking.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Kenwood, Alpine, and Panasonic are all decent. Most new aftermarket radios come with an input for a steering wheel control module.

If it has Bluetooth you cab stream Pandora, Slacker, or just about anything off your phone to it. Most all have similar features. Just a matter of finding one that fits.

If you install yourself make sure you have lots of heatshrink and patience with the steering wheel module. I think I covered everything.... if not let me know

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

In a GTP you're going to have to get an interface if you want to keep the steering wheel controls.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN8002/GPOTHER/PAC+SWI-X+Steering+Wheel+Audio+Control+Interface.html#moreinfo

I would recommend Kenwood. I bought my Kenwood head unit 3+ years ago and it's still going strong. They are pretty cheap too. Mine was under $150 and has a USB plugin, AUX cable, iPod ready, Bluetooth ready, plays MP3 cd's, etc etc. Now it is obsolete but at the time it had good features for the price. Look through this site, they have some decent deals:

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-8-cdmp3-players.aspx

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Anyone every use/hear of Nakamichi? When I was looking into head units, I found that this brand is always rated the best for sound quality. Their head units do not contain any bells and whistles (ipod,bluetooth support ect) but the sound quality is sopposed to be the best. My brother had one in his old car with quite an impressive stereo. I think that this is the brand they use in many high end sports cars (lamborgini, GT40), as I recall looking at these cars and they had a Nakamichi head unit. Sounded great.

Check em out:
http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/Car-Electronics-/3270/i.html?_nkw=nakamichi&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
http://www.google.com/search?q=nakamichi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Yjo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=nakamichi+head+unit+review&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=af48742de8854925&biw=1920&bih=908

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Anyone every use/hear of Nakamichi? When I was looking into head units, I found that this brand is always rated the best for sound quality. Their head units do not contain any bells and whistles (ipod,bluetooth support ect) but the sound quality is sopposed to be the best. My brother had one in his old car with quite an impressive stereo. I think that this is the brand they use in many high end sports cars (lamborgini, GT40), as I recall looking at these cars and they had a Nakamichi head unit. Sounded great.

Check em out:
http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/Car-Electronics-/3270/i.html?_nkw=nakamichi&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
http://www.google.com/search?q=nakamichi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Yjo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=nakamichi+head+unit+review&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=af48742de8854925&biw=1920&bih=908

You know your high end sound quality head unit if you know of nakamichi. Their shit is super pricey too. Zero bells or whistles. Straight sound quality competition shit right there.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
As stated above unless you upgrade your speakers and add an amplifier sound quality isn't going to show a big difference. Kenwood are really great headunits, and many of them have all the features you want.

Actually this past weekend I installed a whole new setup in my friends 350z. Kenwood headunit, Nertz front speakers (had to install door pods to fit), 2 JL Audio amps, and an almost identical steering wheel control module as shown above. Took about 8 hours but that included building the sub box, amp rack, running all the cabling, and programming the module.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Pioneers suck now, stay far away. Unless its last years or older. Alpines aren't bad, although the 4v and 2v preouts are grossly fluffed ratings, Kenwoods IMO have been holding the lead in my book, not too many issues to report there if you put some money into it, same with JVC, Sony, they have gotten a bit better in quality, Jensen = trash can, Dual = trash can [cleaning guy at Dekalb Best Buy tried stealing one of the cheaper Dual headunits we carry *facepalm*], Panasonic, no direct experience, my roommate had one and had issues with the faceplate, but my other installer loves his...

There's some of my $.02

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
How is the stock head unit w/ bose speakers compared to aftermarket HU (mid range) and stock bose speakers? I think stock it sounds pretty good for what its worth.

The Bose in my vette and tbss all suck IMO. Highs are ok, mids poor and low is non existent. If you add subs and tweak it just right the sound is better but not great.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
My pioneer avic z2 has been awesome. Nav,hard drive,iPod,DVD,Bluetooth,mp3 you name it it does it. Looking for another avic for the tbss.

You know, I don't think I installed any of the new Pioneer DDINs yet, so IDK the quality. The interface looks sweet but I think the navi looks cheap. Last year and before kicked ass though.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Pio's this year, the wires in the harness are like doorbell wiring.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
If you are going for SQ...get a headunit, and run seperate amps, with a crossover to a sub on a seperate amp. Everything will run cleaner and clearer. Avoid headunits with all the DSP crap. It goes through mulitple paths of digital to audio, and car audio D/A converters kind of suck. If you are playing MP3's that probably won't matter, since the source resolution is shit anyway.

Basically, keep it simple, but allow the amps to breathe by hi-passing to induvidual amps if you have a sub. It'll be louder too.

You don't have to go nuts on wattage unless whatever speakers you get have a low sensitivity. I ran a really nice system with 35W x 4 + 125W x 1...it's all about CLEAN power, not exaggerated ratings.

The interior of a car is probably the worst environment to try and get decent sound quality out of, but it can be done. Just use your head while shopping, and avoid the bells and whistles you don't need.

Also, remember to spend the most on your front speakers/amp...or at least put the best components there. If you were watching a band, it would be in front of you...so to get a good soundstage you need the most clarity and phase coherence between drivers. Try and mount your tweets as close to ear level as possible as they carry the most directional information.

Before you buy read, read, read every review, and generally inform youself as much as possible. You will get blind suggesstions from people that have never heard good hi-fi, and you have to read between the lines to decide what's really good.

Sorry for the long ramble, but sound is a passion of mine.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Pioneers suck now, stay far away. Unless its last years or older. Alpines aren't bad, although the 4v and 2v preouts are grossly fluffed ratings, Kenwoods IMO have been holding the lead in my book, not too many issues to report there if you put some money into it, same with JVC, Sony, they have gotten a bit better in quality, Jensen = trash can, Dual = trash can [cleaning guy at Dekalb Best Buy tried stealing one of the cheaper Dual headunits we carry *facepalm*], Panasonic, no direct experience, my roommate had one and had issues with the faceplate, but my other installer loves his...

There's some of my $.02
My 92 SHO has an Alpine deck that I believe was one of the top of the line models in 07/08, sounds good, but it doesn't have the buttons on the bottom of the faceplate, but a slide bar. Its really annoying when trying to drive and change mp3 folders.

All good info here tho.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info