bodyshop guys step in.. issues wuh freshly painted car

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
bodyshop guys step in.. issues with freshly painted car

Hit and run... filed ins claim... bought a primer hood and dropped off car for paint. They had car for eleven callender days and while it was there, they needed to get a new bumper approved because the one on the car was too bad to keep.

Total bill: $1500

Once I picked up the car, I told them the hood needed alignment. They said come back Tuesday. After looking at it tonight, I found more issues...

A. Hood alignment is off. Hinges appear to be silver when my car is gray and the bolts holding the hood are black from the black primer hood I brought them.

B. A new bumper was approved through the ins. There's nicks in the corner of the bumper and you can faintly see scuffs. Its not 100% perfect.

C. Whole front clip needed to be blended I was told. There is a dent on fender of passeside fender and a scratch on driver side fender. Neither were repaired. You can still see touch up paint on scratch that doesn't match it. (From previous owner) shouldnt damage have been repaired before it was "painted"

D. Factory GM badges are misssing from fenders.

E. Isn't there a time frame the car can't be waxed after paint? There's residue allover the front of the car.

My take on this is... hood was painted and matched really well. They were prepping fenders for paint but never painted them, hence why the badges were removed. Bought a used bumper, maybe already gray and threw it on the car and waxed and buffed everything to appear too be freshly painted.

What's your take? Am I crazy? This isn't what I expected from a $1500 job.

Ill try and take picture in the morning.

Last edited:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
they don't usually put new parts on old cars. its most likely a used "quality replacement part". hood + front bumper + paint + labor should be right around 1500. that sounds about right for a body shop price.

either way, hope you get it all fixed. accidents suck.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
this is confusing to me, YOU bought a new hood and brought the car to the shop, why??
everyting you stated depends on your insurance company, what insurance company do you have??

insurance copanies only pay to blen a panle not repair dents, not repair scratches, only remove the parts on the door and blend the panle for color match thats it nothing more nothing less

the bumper sounds like a aftermarket piece, which if it is a keystone bumper those are repaired bumpers and come to us in primer, again that issues the painter or the tech should have seen the imperfections in the bumper before the painter did his part

the mismatched color on the hood hinges could simply be that the painter was painting the under hood color, which we do if the car has that underhood color and most gm cars do

the mismatched bolts well thats on the tech for not putting the bolts back in and he used the bolts from the hood

misaligned hood well was the car swayed over swayed down, frame rails buckled, core support fucked up primary latch replaced i make it a rule of thumb i alwaqys replace a latch in a front end collision, but still misalgined panles is shitty work it doesnt take that long to make nice gaps, but read this paragraph

everything stated is on your insurance company the dents scratches as it is all considered "prior" damage and not part of the collision, you want that fixed you pay extra to have it fixed

if the shop has a baking booth clear can be cut and buffed after cool down, if no baking booth then 24 hours before cut and buff, do not wax for 60 days and use a show car glaze or hand glaze no wax!!!!!

if ya dont want to deal with the shop bring me the car, or drop it off with me at the shop i work for and i personally will make sure you car is perfect

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
we do paint the whole panle, but thats all we do its on the customer to pay extra if you want a dent or scratch fixed on that blend panle, and if there is a dent or a scratch towads the rear of a panle then we have to go into the panle next to it for blending and then thats more money

the bumper and poor alignement of the hood is on the shop since they didnt bother taking the time to fix the car the right way and what shop is doing all the work

my offer stands on fixing your car, all ya gotta do is complain to insurance company and they will pay for the fuck ups from old shop i work for gerber collision on cicero and belmont

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
The foglight piece that isnt mounted is the part I bought from Rock Auto :ugh:.. it doesnt really fit in there. The hood on the passenger side is touching the headlight, and the gap on the driver side I could put my finger in between the hood and bumper.

IMG173.jpg

IMG175.jpg

IMG177.jpg

IMG174.jpg

and the scratch and dent...

IMG178.jpg

IMG171.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
See this is why my dads business is shitty right now. I am going to take a guess that you wrecked the car and got a check from insurance. Now this depends on what insurance company this is going through. But this check might be to fix the car to the correct way (as they see it without taking it apart) with new OEM parts. So you might be able to fix the car considerably less going aftermarket or buying own parts. Example -Why buy a $300 fender from GM when you can get one for $30 on eBay? Now you go out and find the cheapest parts possible and you probably went around looking for the cheapest labor estimate possible. So now you are mad that the car didn't turn out as planned? Did you get a bit of cash in pocket after this is all said and done?

My advice if this happens again take it to a shop you can trust or that others have had good luck at. Going with your insurance company's own body stop also isn't the best idea because they will most likely hack shit to make more money. Do not bring the body shop the parts unless you are willing to take the risk of them not fitting right or other issues. A body shop knows what parts work well and what is junk. I don't know what is it about aftermarket shit but its just not the same as OEM. I know my dad will not warranty any work done if he does not supply the parts. Example you bring him a hood you want painted that is already prepped by you. I was in the same boat as you about a ago I needed a hood for my grand prix. It had a dent on it, a rust bubble, and it had hacked up bodywork from previous paintwork before I owned the car. My dad did not want to fix it and told me just to buy a new hood. I could have got a $35 aftermarket hood but I sacked up and bought a new GM good because it would fit better and is better quality. I had a VFN aftermarket WS6 hood on my trans am. We test fit it on the car and then sent it back to VFN for modification. After the modifications the hood got painted and put on the car. A few more tweaks and it looked perfect. He was very impressed with the quality of the VFN hood and has purchased hoods from the again.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I bought a new aftermarket capa certifed hood and brought it to them. The only problem I see with the hood is that they didnt align it at all. It fits on the car but its their error for not aligning it. The bumper, they had to get it approved through the insurance. I left them a message I would bring them a bumper once its approved and I would buy it from the same place I bought the hood. A few days later I call them and he tells me they ordered the bumper themselves and Im not sure from where. I do know the paperwork says non oem. I took the car to Patrick Collision next to Patrick Cadillac in Schaumburg, not some ghetto ass shop... and I didnt make money on the deal

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
once again i dont know what your not getting from what me and the other guy are telling you, heres a example, if you as a customer bring me AFTERMARKET parts, and after pulling the core support, the insurance company pays us a certain amount of time to install a part, but like my self i dont care and will make the hood fit anyway........................

the bumper is probably a keystone aftermarket bumper which that company takes damaged bumpers and repairs them, they never fit, they always come in damaged, so we either reutrn for oem or we fix and again depends on insurance company i would like to know what you have some dont pay so we have to do what they say

capa certified or not its a aftermarket part!!! they will never fit right never look right no matter how good we are, just today im working on a 2011 mazda, insurance pays for aftermarket front bumper with oem grill and fog light close out panles

bumper is horrible, we fixed what had to be fixed but oem grill in a aftermarket repaired bumper it looks like one of jerry kids installed it, and now we have to wait for insurance to approve a oem bumper

once again your complaining about the BLEND panles, and it looks like prior damage to your car and a dent in your fender, could be prior i dont know but all we do is blend color and re clear the panles

or was this a out of pocket repair, because you may have a low ball insurance, and didnt want to make a claim......you buy parts, with a insurance check.......and all you see is the exterior damage, how bad was this car hit, bad enough to move the coresupport??? tech opens up the hood removes the bumper oh noes more damage!!!!

contact yoou oh noes!! no more money!!! its ok just do your best to fix it

something just sounds fishy, but like i said contact your insurance comany complain your ass off bring it to me and ill make it right

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Speak up smug. If I'm crazy. Tell me.

All I brought to them was my primer hood. After they adjusted it today. I'm happy with it.

They mounted the missing badges. Thanks.

They remounted the plastic fir the fog lift cover. Thanks.

They put the gray bolts on instead of the black ones. That thanks.

But! To order me a bumper like that, that's shitty, and to tell me that's how they come? No thanks. He said they could wet sand and buff it, but that was it. I shouldn't have to beg to have my car done properly. I'm the customer and unhappy with their work and how it was done, poorly.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I am not saying your crazy, and I dont know exactly how the money situation worked out and why you bought the hood and did not just let the shop take care of it is beyond me. Using aftermarket parts of any kind, CAPA or not is asking for trouble because they just do not fit the same. It sounds like the shop you took your car to just did not give a shit and hacked your car out. Another thing is when a shop get paid to blend a panel they do not get paid to fix dents, scratches and other prior damage. The bumper cover is a piece of shit reman or aftermarket probably from keystone. We get their garbage all the time because that is what insurance companies want to use because it is cheap. Also that is really the way they come and I have to sand the shit out of them and re-repair them to make they look decent. A lot of your problems are on the shop but buying an aftermarket hood to start with is just asking for problems.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
ok and if your unhappy then go else where, i have offered my services now 4 times already, but why have you not explained the whole situation how was the car hit?? why didnt you make a claim?? why did you bring a hood to them??? and the big one what insurance company do you have???

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
I am not saying your crazy, and I dont know exactly how the money situation worked out and why you bought the hood and did not just let the shop take care of it is beyond me. Using aftermarket parts of any kind, CAPA or not is asking for trouble because they just do not fit the same. It sounds like the shop you took your car to just did not give a shit and hacked your car out. Another thing is when a shop get paid to blend a panel they do not get paid to fix dents, scratches and other prior damage. The bumper cover is a piece of shit reman or aftermarket probably from keystone. We get their garbage all the time because that is what insurance companies want to use because it is cheap. Also that is really the way they come and I have to sand the shit out of them and re-repair them to make they look decent. A lot of your problems are on the shop but buying an aftermarket hood to start with is just asking for problems.

i have been saying this the entire time dan but something just doesnt seem right,

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
i have been saying this the entire time dan but something just doesnt seem right,

I am not trying to call him out but is sounds like he got a check from the insurance company and tried to save a buck or two but buying his own aftermarket hood. I dont blame him if he is in that situation but you really really do get what you pay for in a body shop.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
It was a hit and run. I filed a claim through my insurance American Family.

Yes. I tried to make money on the deal and bought my own hood for $120 instead of paying $450 through the shop, but I don't have a problem with the hood. Now that the hood is aligned, it looks much better than it did when i picked it up. I have a problem with workmanship of the shop.

My deductible is $500. After everything was said and done, I ended up paying $200 out of pocket.

Bodyman, I appreciate the offer, I really do, but I'm not going to let the bodyshop skip out on this and not let it go. After going there this afternoon, I feel much better about how the car turned out. After I talk to the insurance, if they say they can't do anything about it, then it is what it is.

I need a good bodyman friend. Want to be my friend smug? Lol.

And yea, with shops you really have to go to ones you know do good work. Anytime I need anything done I go to this one near me that I have gone to in the past. They are a little pricey but get the job done the best way they can. They only cut corners if I tell them to.

So I can def. feel your pain on the bad work. Sometimes these things happen. Glad you got some of the issues resolved. Next time, try and go to a place (if you can) that you know or have seen their work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info