Track day today.

Malakaone

Addict
Feb 17, 2011
So as most know I have a Lotus Elise, but my cars header and exhaust system is not up for a track event I signed up for so I am taking my 2003 Mazda6i to the track. :rollpicard:

I have some experience on setting my Lotus up for the track (road course) but none for the Mazda. I was looking for some input.

So far I have replaced the oil, coolant, rotors, brake pads, brake fluid with Super Blue, and tires. I set the front tire pressure a little higher so the sidewalks do not crush. I also plan on taking the spare tire out. Oh and I have already taped her up at the rocker panels, headlights, tail lights, etc.

Anything else I should do for our car? Thanks for the help!!!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I've been instructing since 1999 and the best advise I can give you is to work on your driving skill (the nut behind the wheel).

Find someone to give you some pointers at the track (use an instructor if available).

Even though I w2w race and instruct myself, I am always learning and welcome input from better drivers so I can improve. After all, I'm only at a hobby level and not a pro-driver! I've taken 2 pro-driver classes and will be taking another this year (will be getting some coaching from Randy Pobst) so I'm looking forward to always learning and improving.

What I like to do is find someone faster then me and try to follow them to see the braking points, etc (even more helpful if someone in the same exact car make and model)

Lotus is a lot like a Miata so if you find a Spec Miata driver in your run group, try to follow that he or she is doing!

....as far as car safety, sounds like you got it covered other than just making sure nothing is loose inside that can come hit you (along with removing the floor mats)

If you plan on going the the MVP event June 6th, feel free to stop by and say hi... My husband and I are 2 of the instructors... #50 Spec Miata is me :)

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
^ once upon a time long long ago I used stock brakes and then they melted away in 1 session.. then I learned why track brakes are necessary once you get past a certain point.... and then even hawk blue's were poo after another year (especially at Blackhawk) so now we use HAWK DTC60 on the g20, Hawk HT10 on front of the Mustang and Hawk Blue still on the spec miata at all 4 corners....

Malakaone

Addict
Feb 17, 2011
All in all a success. Did not lose control and learned some good lines.

Someone above asked....I was at the Autobahn, South Track, with SCCA.

Brakes are much more important than horsepower. I am also a late barker so really important.

Next event July 1. This time with the Lotus.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I just saw this thread since I was at work all day.

Glad you had a good day out, weather would have been perfect!

Brakes and tires are probably the biggest, and best thing you can do to open track any car, next to experience.

Also good to see more people getting into open tracking

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my first track day was gingerman with bmwcca. my instructor had a track prepped m3 with a euro motor in it, and he was good. riding with him we ate the fuck out of everything during the instructor session. one of the instructors trailered a c5 z06 there and i was just guessing we wouldn't catch him. ate the fuck out of him too! it was sweet. headers come down on the passenger side, when he was topping out 4th i was just covered in this inescapable blanket of heat though. was probably cooking :p

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
_02-40b.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info