Are MOOG parts all theyre cracked up to be?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I bought a kit on Ebay for $135, Worked great for the year after I installed them (Kit had upper control arms with ball joints and bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints and endlinks.) Name brand stuff doesn't make a huge difference when there isn't huge strain on the components all the time IMO.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
moog is the only company to ever offer the "problem solver" line where they re-engineered the parts to make em better than the oem parts.

if you plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off, buy moog, if yedr gonna flip it in a year or two buy cheepo's.

i cant say as to them outsourcing shit but its likely with the way everything goes nowadays.....they are still a suporter of nascar/etc... and the racing world dont take to kindly to crap parts so id guess at least some of their line is still made over here.

hell they still have the manufacturing/distribution center on kedzie dont they?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
They're quality parts made in the USA (I believe). I've always replaced with moog parts if I can get them.

Your upper ball joints or lower ball joints?

Sadly not any more.

Moog used to be made in the USA. They also used to be the standard for good parts. In the past few years they are sourced off shore. The quality went down the toiles also, so much that they are not sold by CarQuest any more.

Although the quality has suffered I do think they are still one of the best options out there. They still offer upgraded units and, like mentioned, their problem solver line.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Thanks for all three help guys, I went ahead and ordered thee moogs
I just replaced some uppers on a del sol and the originals are non replaceable. I got the full arms from rock auto for $70 for both. They were dorman brand.

I got the uppers and lowers out with a BFH, the haynes manual claims the uppers aren't replaceable but I intend to prove them wrong

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Thanks for all three help guys, I went ahead and ordered thee moogs

I got the uppers and lowers out with a BFH, the haynes manual claims the uppers aren't replaceable but I intend to prove them wrong

You got the upper ball joints out of the control arms?

The replacements I bought have replaceable ball joints but the originals looked welded in

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
You got the upper ball joints out of the control arms?

The replacements I bought have replaceable ball joints but the originals looked welded in
yea I got them out with a hammer, they r pressed in, I thought they were welded too, but it didn't make sense because they sell replacement uppers

Just replaced my wheel bearings with moog. I couldn't tell you about quality because they have only been on the car for about 1500 miles.
I can tell you they are very expensive though. I got them for almost half price and there are still more expensive then some of the other brands.

I went with timken bearings, I run those in the pacer and they have performed great

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
If quality is a draw, buy the lifetime warranty jobs at a Autozone or Advanced. It like free parts if you ever get another one that needs them.

ive put 2 sets of upper and lower ball joints on our 97 e150...and its due for round 3.....fuck them things... unless your looking to sell it in less than a year....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info