Car audio experts......

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
In the 01 GTX the stock bose system blows asshole and sounds like crap so it is in need of an upgrade. I have had a Pioneer Permier headunit in this car forever and it still works great but I may decide to swap that out for my AVIC Z2 navigation headunit that I took out of my GXP. The AVIC Z2 is a double din and the GTX is a din 1/2 dealio to thats going to take some work. I added a Infinity Kappa sub and a JL 250X1 mono amp and the base sounds nice now. I plan on upgrading the speakers and running them straight off the headunit to bypass the bose amp that is beyond useless and I really dont want to add another amp for many reasons. I have 5 1/4 and a small tweeter in the front doors, 6X9 and 4" speakers in the rear deck. I was told to look for speakers that had a higher sensitive rating, 93 db, because that would work better with the lower wattage the headunit is going to out put. I had Infinity kappa speakers in the GXP and they sounded awesome but the highs were a little bright at times. I was recommended Polk, MB Quart, and Alpine. What the best speaker to go with in this situation?

and GO

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
when i did sq+ i went from alpine to MB quart components, was a pretty good difference. though i used the alpine passive xover and when i upgraded i tossed the MB xover for using the amp outputs directly since i had the alpine DSP/EQ/xover

btw the HU amps fuckin suck even on higher end units, just put in a good 4 channel... far better clarity

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
....But I run only 2 front speakers with a 2 channel amp and then a 10 or 12 inch sealed enclosure. Never felt like I needed music coming from behind me.

yeah i never understood people with a rear stage...not like i go to a concert and put my back to the stage. mid bass from behind sucks too so thats not an excuse

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I loved the Polks I had in my Regal.

The double din radio will fit in the GP. Mike (superchargedgp) did it in his 97 GTX. I dont know if the pics are still there since I cant see photobucket at work, but here is his thread.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28015&highlight=double+din

I know he said the radio itself will fit in the hole, but the plastic dash will need some work. Shouldnt be that hard for you.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Cause you can't have 16 speakers all up front, NEWB.

but you can have your more directional freq speakers like midbass, mids, highs/horns up front with a nice sub to finish the freq range out... in the back.

its not just about the amount of speakers you have, they have to be staged properly or you end up needing a sound field processor to delay the signals for proper sound/sync at the listening position.

lotsa $ back in the day...prob a ton of new tech out there nowadays
i still have alot of my crap from my imperial somewhere in some milkcrates

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
but you can have your more directional freq speakers like midbass, mids, highs/horns up front with a nice sub to finish the freq range out... in the back.

its not just about the amount of speakers you have, they have to be staged properly or you end up needing a sound field processor to delay the signals for proper sound/sync at the listening position.

lotsa $ back in the day...prob a ton of new tech out there nowadays
i still have alot of my crap from my imperial somewhere in some milkcrates

Yup give me even just a 6.5 inch mid and a properly placed tweeter on the front stage with a simple 100 wattx2 amp over most anything else these days. I just have never been able to use pods as the clutch gets in the way for a proper midbass driver up front. Nice and tight 12 inch infinity perfect with only about 300 watts rms out back and it sounds pretty good for the budget I had. Once I had the timing/crossovers setup right with the alpine 9815.

Also to the op, if you are getting components for front you can usually pick between a metal or silk tweeter. I prefer metal for that brighter feel for the music I listen to, but silk might suit you a little better. Still though the HU is only going to give is 20-25 watts tops, so your sub should overpower your front stage.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
I have the kappa in the camaro. I would go with polk. Lol. The polk have a very balanced sound.

I vote for Polk as well. Very balanced sound and they use 4.5K for their crossovers which is a good crossover freq for a vehicle. They also use soft dome tweeters which eliminates the over-brightness of the highs.

I have polk speakers and a rockford fosgate sub in my car. (I have done numerous installs/setups on many cars over the years.)
You can see what I installed here: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/installs/view.php?id=13

You should always set it up as front stage/rear fill for the best sound. Also mixing speakers brands for the front and rears can lead to some horrible sounds if the crossover points are different.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I like JL's stuff myself, I just did a stareo in my boat a set of 7.7 componets in the front a set of 6.5 coaxes in the back and a 10 under the bow and a 600x6 amp with one channel bridged for the sub and the thing rocks for what I have into it. when I used to do stareo comps I used dimond audio it was good stuff too

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Going to bump this thread because I still have not replaced the speakers in the GTX and it needs to be done. I would buy Infinity Kappa components that I had in the GXP because they were awesome with a amp but I like to try new things and I am really really leaning towards Polk components.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
ehhh leaning towards slightly higher end stuff... Polk, Infinity Kappa, MB Quart, ect.

BTW I am running the AVIC Z2 navi headunit now

I actually like the sound out of the kicker speakers better than the infinitys, I haven't tried out a set of polks in a long time though so that I'm not sure on. I've just always loved the way the kicker speakers sound nice and pump out good bass at the same time. Don't even really need subs imo, but then again I'm not one of those people that likes to have my bass rattling the car.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Right on, I know it is all about personal preference so I really need to go to a shop and listen to the speakers for myself. When I think of Kicker, Alpine, Clarion, ect all I think about is being 17 and thinking that was hot shit because I was broke as fuck. $150 Pioneer head unit, $100 no name amp, a pair of used 12" Kicker subs and you were hot shit.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
x091165KRX2-f-1.jpeg

/thread

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Started hacking up the stock speaker brackets for accept 6.5 inch speakers and it will be a very tight fit. Stock front speakers are some crappy 5.25 things. Ill bring the brackets to work tomorrow and panel bond the spots that I need to.
Also I was using some Infinity coaxial speakers to test fit, dropped one on the floor, and is now broken FML

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info