Problems to look for on an 07 Civic Si

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So my brother may be picking up an 07 4door manual Civic SI and they wouldn't let him bring it home to have it looked over. May head up there tomorrow to look at it. Any known problems with these things?

2 biggest ones that come to mind is 3rd gear and oil burning.

The trans is known for Grinding/Popping out of 3rd gear.

Most high revving honda's like to burn a spec of oil high up in the RPM's, some just do it far more than others.

I'm not aware of any super common things a mechanic would even be able to see/tell until its happening honestly.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
They're awesome cars all around, super smooth and quiet. What you can do is take it to any Honda dealer and they'll do a 1xx point inspection for I think $100. Might be a tad bit more, but they'll go over everything before he buys it to ensure you know he's getting a good car. You never know, some kid could have owned it before and beat the hell out of it at the drag strip. :dunno: To me it would be worth the inspection.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've been shopping for these recently. Seems the third gear problem is a big one. Honda has a TSB on it and some dealers will do the fix out of warranty if the car is within the official vin spec, which is all 2006 and 2007 with some 2008s. I'd shop for a certified used one, but for 2007 you don't have much of the warranty term left depending on it's in service date. I've been searching for 2008 and up.

Hit up 8thgencivic.com and the 6th gen Si forum. Lots of good info there.

Valve covers seem to be a problem as well. There's also a recall for rear suspension parts on some years.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
To be honest I didn't have mine long enough to find out about long term problems. I had an 07 2 door SI navi. And the only thing that ever went bad in that thing was the navi unit needed to be replaced 2 times due to it scratching discs internally. Other than that it was perfect. From reading forums I have heard about the typical oil burning and blown motors but you have to take that with a grain of salt considering your typical civic customers driving style. The general consensus seems to be that if the motor makes it past 20k you should be in the clear as far as it burning oil or blowing up. The trans 3rd gear issue was really well known in the RSX but less common in the civic. Likely some have this problem, but it's so well known and documented that any non-shit dealer will goodwill the repair

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
He's looking at Biggers Mazda in Elgin. They sent it to McGrath Honda and that inspection showed a dirty air filter, burned out interior bulb and the valve cover leak. My mom just got off the phone with the dealer, and i guess the sales manager is being a bit of a dick and said that since they went down 300 dollars on the price (15,900 to 15,600) they won't fix shit. I doubt the gasket is that hard to fix but it still seems like a dick move, it's not like they flexed a ton on the price.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Gasket is like $25 and half an hour.... I can't imagine they are willing to lose a sale over that....

Stupid question... I assume they are financing it? his/your parents co-signing?

Don't most honda dealers offer like 0.9% Financing?

May be close enough in price that I'd just recommend buying a brand new one... They updated the styling and they got a bigger, torquier K24 motor.

16K Financed at like 6-7% will be awfully close to 21K of a brand new one at 0.9% if they have any offers like that (Unless they are buying it cash in which case disregard what I said)

(edit)

They start at 22,400 for the sedan, but that includes sunroof etc, etc, etc. they look WAAAAY better IMO, and again, like 40 more torque, better mpg, etc.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-sedan/

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
"He's" paying cash. The kid has 0 credit whatsoever, so it's being financed through the bank of mom and dad at some laughable interest rate i am sure.

Gotcha... I'd still try and sway them to the brand new one... it is a much better car honestly, and he will have a warranty for if/when he melts the motor and/or clutch.

KBB for an 07 sedan SI with 35K on it is 19,800, which doesn't make a damn bit of sense..... (I learned my lesson about buying a car traded in just before the warranty expired with my cobalt SS...)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I also saw the blue book value on the car. Lots of that year on cars.com for 15,900 ish though. I would like to do that as well, but they are out of their minds to be helping him get this car in the first place.

I understand/agree, The new one JUST came out, so I didn't know if you/they were aware of it. It should be a solid form of leverage on price honestly "the new one just came out!" That, and they are a solid bang for the buck.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I can't believe it is that low under BB value. Apparently it was a one owner lease.

Like I said, I'd imagine the new ones coming out should impact the price of these pretty heavily... they are better cars in literally every single way... Look better, more power, more MPG...

granted, if they are already shopping outside of warranty, they might as well buy an 06, you can find one with under 75K on it for like 12K

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Used car prices are high and Honda can get away with it even if it wasn't a trend everywhere. I bet you won't see prices drop that much even with the new one out. There aren't many good incentives on 2011s with the 2012 on sale now and CPO interest rates are non existent on the Civic.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And the 2012 isn't a huge improvement over the 2011. I just wracked up a bunch of time in the 2012.

I thought it looks far better, some interior tweaks, and the upgrade to a K24 engine family up from the K20.

a face lift, new power plant, and interior changes I think would qualify as quite alot (I should have phrased it differently, not a "huge improvement" but numerous changes/improvements/etc)

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Has he driven it yet? One if the managers just bought an 08 si coupe and I felt cramped in it.....which is weird because in my wife's 06 sedan I feel like with the seat all the way back I can't touch the pedals. Maybe I'm crazy; maybe the coupe/sedan are slightly different, maybe they're not.....either way I wasn't a fan of the seat position with it all the way back.

We bought a certified 06 EX with 33k miles for $14.2k and that was one of the lowest priced in the area.

The guy at work bought his 08 si coupe (non cert) with 38k for $15.8k

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
You made a huge spelling error, my mind was blown.

He drove it yesterday and said it was nice, not bad for a kid who learned to drive stick 3 weeks ago in a VW bug. I am changing the valve cover gasket once he gets it and learning to drive stick in return.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
He's looking at Biggers Mazda in Elgin. They sent it to McGrath Honda and that inspection showed a dirty air filter, burned out interior bulb and the valve cover leak. My mom just got off the phone with the dealer, and i guess the sales manager is being a bit of a dick and said that since they went down 300 dollars on the price (15,900 to 15,600) they won't fix shit. I doubt the gasket is that hard to fix but it still seems like a dick move, it's not like they flexed a ton on the price.

Is Pete still the sales manager over there?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info