NEWB WARNING: can someone explain fairladyZ's???

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
i searched, all i got was that was what the 350s were called in japan. but what i'm really trying to figure out is if they are sold here

why?

overnight pharmacist at my work rolled up in a beautiful cherry red 350, or so i thought. i walked around it and it said fairladyz, and the panels didn't look the same. it looked shorter too.

is it just a visual difference? or are there performance options? looking online i saw that it came with a 3.7l v6? 6 speed manual or 7 speed auto with manual shift option, 100mm shorter wheelbase.

can those be bought in the US?

any help is appreciated

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/173-nissan-350z/59770-fairlady-z.html

you're lucky you posted this on tech and not my350 because you would've gotten flamed for this question.

It would make sense to ask it if you were considering importing a Z from Japan, considering those are Fairlady Zs, but any US 350Z is just that...a 350Z because it is left hand drive. Fairladys are right hand.

Any "Fairlady Z" you see in the US is the same for 2003 in regard to power. What you need to decided is whether you want a base/enthusiast/touring/ or track.

My car, and thousands of other Zs, have "Fairlady Z" on the rear hatch, but it is just an imported JDM emblem intended for use on a real Japanese Fairlady Z.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
yup, some of my fellow 300zx people have fairladyz emblems also. Any of the Z's have the fairlady badging over in Japan.

Are you sure you weren't researching/looking at a 370z? As those have the 3.7 liter, look a bit different and are a bit shorter in wheelbase.

i'm not sure WHAT i was looking at. i am not too familiar with imported sport coupes...that is my downfall. i'd love to learn more about them but the fact that there are american versions vs overseas versions is a bit of a hurdle to overcome.

hell, i have a hard enough time remembering GM domestic and GM over-seas models and specs. fuckin holden.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
JDM YO

ny9rfd.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
i'm not sure WHAT i was looking at. i am not too familiar with imported sport coupes...that is my downfall. i'd love to learn more about them but the fact that there are american versions vs overseas versions is a bit of a hurdle to overcome.

hell, i have a hard enough time remembering GM domestic and GM over-seas models and specs. fuckin holden.

Same cars engines everything for the most part just different names.

Z car lineage is pretty simple

240z,260z,280z- Similar design and the classic design. Inline 6 design with a 4 speed although most people swap in a 5 speed.
IMG_2388.jpg

280zx - First one to have the option of a turbo motor. Interesting note is that they used a T-5 borg warner transmission in these also which I think is the first time they used an American transmission in their cars.
280ZX.jpg

300zx(Z31 from the 80's)- First car in the line to switch to a V6 configuration in the VG30DE with a single overhead came
Brians-300ZX-front.jpg

300zx (z32 from 90-96 in the USA 90-99 in Japan), - Most expensive Z car they made, came with the VG30DE engine with dual cams, had the option of a twin turbo. More of a GT touring car than a real sports car at this point
IMG_2451.jpg

350z, (G35 is the same engine/chassis, called the Skyline over in Japan) - Comes with the VQ35DE motor which has won a lot of of awards. Twin cam and aluminum block. Goal was to make an affordable sports car compared to the 300zx.
350Z.jpg

370z - My favorite new Z so far, they shortened it up, gave it more horsepower and made the interior not look like junk (sorry 350z guys) Only problem is the cost went up.
IMG_2443.jpg

In Japan they are just called the Fairlady Z for all of them much like the Camaro is the Camaro no matter what generation.

Some other fun datsuns that I like

2000 roadster.
IMG_2417.jpg

Datsun 510
510.jpg

I won't get into 240sx's as that is a completely other can of worms.
I

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info