The brand-new $150,000 Camaro rat-rod

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
http://jalopnik.com/5800415/the-brand+new-150000-camaro-rat+rod

There are hot rods. There are rat rods. Then there's this: A new Camaro SS that's been speed-rusted and deglossed into junkyard condition while getting a 1,000-hp supercharged engine — and it only cost $150,000.

Long Island hot rodders Dave Sherer and Anthony Musilli often show off their well-restored rides during Hot Rod magazine's annual Power Tour. For this year tour with the 2010 Camaro's owner Bill Rombauts, Sherer said they wanted something no one would expect.

"Because no one else has the balls to do it," Sherer told Jalopnik. "Everyone else is making them clean."

The exterior took about a week of non-stop labor to transform from showcar state to Craigslist concours. Beyond just grinding off paint, the team rubbed salt on the open metal to speed rust, repainted and sanded some areas for better colors, and kicked dents into the trim for that put-away-wet look. The hood is slightly misaligned, the badges are off and the grille's broken.

Rombauts' Camaro already had a tuned engine under the hood, but Sherer said that was insufficient:

"Everyone has Camaros now that make 650. We don't want to be like everyone."

View the gallery Starting with a GM Performance Parts block bored and stroked to 485 cubic inches, the gang ordered up special heads, exhaust and cams, topped with a Bell supercharger that makes the unit good for at least 1,000 hp. (Monday will be its inaugural trip to a dragstrip.)

This will enrage some fans of the 5th-generation Camaro, but it's also yet more confirmation that GM's revived muscle car is quietly becoming America's favorite art canvas.

xlarge_img_3800.jpg

xlarge_img_0223.jpg

xlarge_img_0221.jpg

xlarge_img_0222.jpg

xlarge_img_0220.jpg

xlarge_rod3_01.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
:bowrofl: :bowdown:

That is so badass. It looks like one of the Camaro engineering cars that just sat inside the GM proving grounds for way too long.

Edit: Oh, I guess that's what they're going for with the test mule badges. Missed that. :io:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
150K LOL. How did they come up with that price?

I think Jalopnik pulled that out their asses. That article doesn't give a lot of the details from the original piece. The original says $100k, and has a bunch of more stuff like coil overs, Baer brakes, Ford 9-inch rear, roll bar. I'd say $100k is feasible with 485 cu in block, big heads, Kenne Bell and all the other goodies.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I think Jalopnik pulled that out their asses. That article doesn't give a lot of the details from the original piece. The original says $100k, and has a bunch of more stuff like coil overs, Baer brakes, Ford 9-inch rear, roll bar. I'd say $100k is feasible with 485 cu in block, big heads, Kenne Bell and all the other goodies.

I was figuring 75-100K, but 150K is high.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry

That's just plain UGLY. Too bad the Trans Am is gone; because they could've swapped out a few parts to make it look like a GEN-U-WINE redneck Cambird or Trans Camaro. Why not paint a fender green, the hood and spoiler yellow and deck lid black too? All you would have left to do then just swung a hammer at it a few times and presto. At least it would authentic looking?

Performance stats are: :bigthumb:
Who ever did the "paint" should be :slap: or :rl:
Nice try, but BIG time FAI !
I left off the last "L" in "FAIL" because it doesn't deserve it in my book.
Ya know, they could have just $#!T on the dashboard.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Hmm....looks like they did swing a hammer at it (if you watch the dyno and check out the top of the pass. front fender arch). 804 hp & 760 tq. That's just sick, but I can't get over the body.

The car is probably an AWESOME driving and definitely a STELLAR track car...just not much to look at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info