"There are fewer compelling reasons to buy a Japanese car..."

http://yankeedriver.wordpress.com/

Morning in America

Posted on May 3, 2011 by yankeedriver

If you haven't driven the 2011 Grand Cherokee, you haven't driven an American car.

There are fewer compelling reasons to buy a Japanese car than at any point since the early 1970s.

March’s devastating earthquake, ensuing tsnumai, and surreal nuclear meltdown in Japan are all beginning to have real and lasting impact on the automotive industry there and here. Parts are becoming scarce. We just heard from one customer that certain paint colors on Ford products are backordered because the supplier is Japanese, but that’s third party hearsay, and I wouldn’t bank on it as fact.

But even before then, the Japanese auto industry was in dire straits. Toyota had major issues thanks to what was once considered its halo car, the Prius hybrid. The Tacoma – a vehicle that was once synonymous with quality and longevity – was being crushed at a rate of thousands a week with frame rust that rendered running trucks with low mileage completely unusable.

Even more shocking, in a way, was the December 6, 2010 cover story in Automotive News: “The Threat to Honda’s Mojo: Year of opportunity goes in reverse for brand.” It was a scathing indictment. After decades of grand slams, home runs and standup doubles, Honda found itself whiffing at the plate. The Crosstour, for example, is a fine automobile, but its styling is nearly as reviled as that of the Pontiac Aztec. Just under 26,000 had found owners by the end of 2010, a dismal failure in comparison to Toyota’s Venza which had sold 43,000 units. The hybrid Insight found itself subjected to rebates and special offers. The Odyssey minivan was plagued with transmission and steering rack issues. The CR-Z hybrid — which was billed as the return of the car that built Honda’s reputation for beating Europe at its own game, the CRX – was stillborn, with just 4,300 sold, and over 3,000 in inventory, a wide gulf from the expected 15,000 units a year.

This last two years should be a reality check for the Japanese auto industry. For the better part of 20 years, Japan was an automotive Field of Dreams, with customers coming simply because they were building it. For customers like my 80 year old mother, there wasn’t even a consideration. When it was time to turn the old car in, only a Japanese car would do.

That mentality completely ignored that throughout the late 1990s and 2000s, American car companies were building better and better cars all the time. By mid-decade, Ford and GM, at least, were building cars that not only competed with Japan, but in many cases, beat it soundly. Japan had fallen for the same lure of the full-size truck that America did, only Toyota and Nissan weren’t building trucks as good as the Americans could. And while pundits were still pointing and laughing at GM and Ford for building full-size trucks and SUVs, a lot of the refinement and engineering that went into those trucks was beginning to filter down into the passenger car line. Look no further than the 2008 Chevy Malibu to see the improvement in design, quality and engineering inside, that came directly from the truck division.

Nevertheless, American car companies still had a bad reputation. Every time I mention that I drive a Buick (I have two now, actually, a 1996 Roadmaster and a 1968 Riviera. I’m probably one of six families in America with two Buicks in the driveway), the standard response is “I don’t buy American cars because in 1980, my aunt Sally bought a Citation and it was a shitbox.”

American car companies built lousy cars in 1980. But guess what: So did everybody else. Only I see a lot more 1980 Olds Omegas still running around than I do 1980 CVCCs, because the Honda products couldn’t make it through half a New England winter. The Honda might have had a more refined engine, but rust quickly took hold, to the point that I haven’t laid eyes on a daily driven Japanese product from the early 1980s in New England in at least 15 years.

Korea built shittier cars 25 years ago, but for some reason, we’re willing to give Hyundai and Kia a pass. The early Excels literally fell apart on the showroom floor in the late 1980s, but in recent years, American consumers have bought into the brand, at first because they offered a great warranty, and now because they actually build a compelling product.

Now is the time to shake off the blinders and look at American brands. The products are great, offering innovative features, excellent fuel economy and outstanding quality, nearly across the board. No matter what the stooge from the Detroit News had to say, Chrysler’s products have come a long way from just a few years ago. The 200 is a nice car, the 300’s even better, the Charger (which I hated) is truly an awesome vehicle, and the Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango will completely change your opinion not only of Chrysler, but of the American car industry in general.

My challenge stands, as it did a half-dozen years ago when I started noticing how good American products had become: Drive one. Then tell me how much better the Japanese counterpart is.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It seems the Japanese are mimicking the US by starting to slip on quality while still increasing prices.

The crosstour was an obvious rip off of that BMW x6m or whatever it's called. The crz is a cool concept....except it's boring and expensive. The crx was light and agile and also got comparable mpg's to the crz.

I hope they learn that they're down a slippery slope. I love Japanese cars...always well thought out and smart. They better get back to their roots.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I will not buy a Japanese car. I would rather give my money to a company here in the US giving its jobs to Americans, and building it's cars here. And i know i know, toyota, honda, and the lot have factories here in the US, but where is that money ultimately going? Back to Japan, a company that allows maybe 1 car to be imported to their country from the US for every 100 they export here. Seems real fair to me.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Until maybe 4-5 years ago when GM and Ford pulled their collective heads out of their asses in regards to interior styling I wouldn't touch one. Now, I would take a regal as a daily driver with the stick option. Or a focus/fiesta if I needed a small hatch which seems to be the better trend for me with my commute and need to move wheels/tires/engines on a more regular occasion.

But really what small hatch has GM offered to compete with the yaris,fit, etc. If you mention the aveo I will burn you with fire as that has to be one of the shittiest cars I have ever driven in or ridden in. I think that is probably GM's biggest fault so far is just because people want a small hatch, it doesn't always mean they want an interior as hard as a rock and designed by a 3 year old. I think the buick version of the cruze will be nice to see once I can sit in one.

Yet again they bring the malibu or the impala to try and compete with the Camry/Accord option and until the most recent refresh of the malibu there was no question on which was better. The new impala, while it is nice I just find it even more boring than the camry/accord/altimas which takes a lot these days.

Don't get me wrong I have found the newer accords/camrys to be snoozeville, the civic has become way overpriced for what it used to be. But I am a nissan guy who only buys cars once they are used for a couple of years.

And the where the money goes debate.. meh. I am just happy they build them here now and employ a lot of people. Visiting the nissan plant down near Nashville it just seemed like they were really happy to be working beyond the lets put up a front for people visiting.

Actual japanese quality has fallen quite a bit since the mid 90's where they seemed to really take that leap ahead of the american companies. They have had to cheapen quite a bit on components and such to keep themselves above water as at least nissan was overbuilding cars at the time.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
My mother-in-law bought a 2011 Altima yesterday. She looked at Fusion, Malibu, Jetta and Optima as well but she bought the Altima because she liked it better than the others. Personally I would have bought the Optima...because I like it. However, if I can justify the extra amount I'd want the new Regal...because I like it.

You buy something because you like it. If you let some right-winged nationalist sway you under the whole, "Buy American" bullshit then you deserve to drive a Chevette. The lines surrounding "American" have been so blurred over the last few decades that it no longer exists as a whole.

Be American, buy whatever you damn well want!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
:io:

What Are the Top American-Made Cars?

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0710

Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts come from and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. We disqualify models with a domestic parts content rating below 75 percent, models built exclusively outside the U.S. or models soon to be discontinued without a U.S.-built successor.

Rank Make/Model U.S. Assembly Location
1. Toyota Camry Georgetown, Ky.;Lafayette, Ind.
2. Honda Accord Marysville, Ohio; Lincoln, Ala.
3. Ford Escape Kansas City, Mo.
4. Ford Focus Wayne, Mich.
5. Chevrolet Malibu Kansas City, Kan.
6. Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala.
7. Dodge Ram 1500 Warren, Mich.
8. Toyota Tundra San Antonio
9. Jeep Wrangler Toledo, Ohio
10. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
You have to look at Toyota and Honda's WHOLE lineup. While Toyota has the car with the highest Domestic part content, it also has more than 3 cars that have 0%. Here is another graph that shows that breakdown of their entire lineup, which gives a much better indication...

Domestic Part Content
GM: 69%
Ford Motor Co.: 64%
Chrysler Corp.: 60%
Honda/Acura: 58%
Toyota/Lexus/Scion: 44%
Nissan/Infiniti: 31%
Mitsubishi: 25%
Subaru: 20%
Mercedes-Benz: 16%
Suzuki: 12%
Mazda: 11%
Volkswagen/Audi: 9%
BMW/Mini: 5%
Jaguar/Land Rover: 3%
Porsche: 3%

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's not only about domestic parts content. An extreme example, but if a car has 100% domestic parts content and they only make four of them, it's not going to have as big of domestic impact to the people who make those four cars compared to the thousands who are employed assembling, selling and servicing a car with 75% domestic parts content that sell 20,000 a month.

And just because a car has high domestic parts content doesn't mean it's assembled in the U.S.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info