Evo of hell

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
ok so long story short, old buddy has too much $$. bought an evo when he was 16, 2004 EVO 8. we used it up good. he had some boost issues so him and a few took some stuff off , they thought it was the wastegate, but ended up being the boost controller. so he was dumb and lazy so while the Evo was broke he bought a GTO and has been driving it ever since. the Evo has probably sat and hasnt been ran for a good 3 years, before that last starting it probably sat another year or so. so im assuming there is gonna be alot of problems.... rust cylinders, all the bad gas and fluids that have been just sitting.

so hes finally motivated since moving to TN to want his evo back up and running. so we are going to slowly piece it back together. since its been so long hes looking to put in some $$ and add some goodies to refresh it.

my question, what should we look over extensively on this car, since its been sitting for a good 4 years without being ran.

we are trying to talk him into a 2.3L AMS stroker kit, rehone the cylinders, valve job, and some larger turbo.

he was going to do the rediculous GT35R kit like 5 years ago when it came out but that never happened, but he'd like a little bigger turbo now but dont need any 35R shit.

any suggestions are great. money isnt an issue but hes not looking to have a rediculous racecar. just a quick street car. only has intake, clutch, and boost controller i think.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
If money isn't an issue I'd do a built trans (get rid of those open diffs), the gt950r turbo kit, race front mount, 272 cams and a nice set of coil overs like the kw variant 3's.

I the longblock is fine I'd keep it till it blows up; even if I had the money to replace it. What I listed will probably be like $15k. :rofl:

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Find out what "He" wants first. I'm not sure what you mean by freshen up. To me that just sounds like change all the oils and belts including timing belt.
For a bit more power you can go bigger turbo, inter cooler, 272 cam and maybe a stronger transfer case and better suspension.
If you want you can also call Devin. I can give you his # if you want.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yes monies not an issue but if he wantd to blow 20k on it he'd take it to ams but he just wants it freshened up and a little more power. Ams sells the 2.3 kit I can buy for like 2k and install

I think it may cost more then $2k to stroke his engine out. Just sayin'.

I'd just get it running as is then mod it. Did you figure out the initial problem ever?

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Tell him to build his GTO and sell it to me for dirt cheap :)

Honestly this probably isn't the best way to do things but I've done this with few cars that have been sitting for quite some time with no problems. I'd charge the battery/Get a new one and just start the thing up as is. Drive it around for a bit until all that old gas is gone and when it is, do a quick tune-up. Plugs, oil, tranny fluids etc. Was it sitting outside or in his garage? My talon was sitting for 3+ years before I got it and after swapping in a new battery and doing a tune up it's running pretty good

its been in a garage. before that it probably sat out side for a good year or so then started once and drove it to his house and then been sitting ever since.

im just wondering, liek some said, just start it up. or take the time and pull the motor and rehone the cylinders, redo seals and shit in the head since it been sitting so long or will it all still be okay.

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
did he leave the plugs out of it while it was sitting?

there's no reason to tear it down and redo everything if the engine was together (plugs in, manifolds on, etc). i'd say give it a fresh battery, oil change, and go from there.

Ditto. I'd just start it up man. If he has the money to rebuild it anyways, might as well take a shot of driving it and seeing if everythings OK (which it should be). That way he saves couple of bucks, I'm 90% positive that if he stored the car with no problems, it will still be fine now

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
:fy:

I'm not a fan of running any old gas period. when it breaks down it forms acids. just drain as much out as possible and add fresh go juice.

change fluids. any light rust in cylinders (which will really probably not exist will clean itself out by running it.

do 2 oil changes. one with cheapass autozone oil, 10 minutes of run time. change to better stuff with a new filter. done. maybe some fuel injector cleaner in the first tank.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info