Mixing brake pads?? (Ceramics front, semi-metallic backs)

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So my fronts I did about 8 months ago with Duralast C-max ceramic pads and couldn't be happier with them. Now it's time to do the rears so I look at Autozone and of course for some reason they don't have C-max pads for the rears listed. Called and confirmed as well. They have the Duralast Gold pads though but they are semi-metallic.

So my question is, would it be fine to use semi-metallics on the rears with the ceramics on the front? Or should I go find some wagner ceramics from Advance? (they are like 76 bucks for the rears as opposed to the semi-met going for 34 dollars.)

I'm also getting new rotors for the rears as well, and usually have had good luck with Autozone rotors and they are 76 bucks a piece, but I saw that Advance has there "wearever" rotors for 52 dollars... Anyone have any experience with those?

Thoughts?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
mixing brands/types is acceptable as long as they are the same on a single axle

my opinion of ceramic brake pads is that they are not good on a DD type vehicle though. they suck when wet or cold and are more prone to squeaks in my experience. they are great hot though, but they also tear through rotors, particularly cheezy autozone rotors

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Yeah they'd be on the same axle (both being on the rears).

Sounds like I'll probably just get the Semi-Metallics then for the rears. Ryan any reason why you say the AZ rotors suck? I've had AZ replacement rotors for the GXP (come factory drilled) now for almost 12,000 miles with those Cmax pads and they've been great. (rusted of course, but good so far). Plus I love buying with that replacement warranty of 2 years on the rotors. I laugh at the lifetime on the pads because I'll abuse that ha.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
your lucky then...most of the time the bastards are "folded" from being stored on edge vs flat...at harry's anything other than napa got cut before use as the rotor wouldnt pulsate but the fold would cause calipers to move in their slides back and forth as the rotor turned causing all sorts of sqeaks/grunts as the pads moved.

wanna know what i like? seasoned OEM/aftermarket rotors with a fresh cut on em...
cast iron is far more dimensionally stable after being stress relieved
btw im with boosh, seen plenty of ceramic pads sqeak...couple of em the only fix was OEM ceramic pads...i will say though this was back in 02ish when ceramics were starting to become std equipment

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info