How much can I get for my car? Thinking about getting another one :)

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I love my GP but Ive got an itch for (actually always had an itch for) something manual. Before the GP I picked up a 96 trans am stick (big mistake). Had to take it back to the dealer yadda yadda yadda and wound up with the GP. Ive been looking at cars for fun lately and I keep looking at the 300zx's. They seem to be priced around $4K to $10K (and up for pristine condition ones). I definitely need to research more about them though. They are old and generally have over 100k on them. Really the last thing I need is a car that's going to be breaking down on me. The GP is really reliable and runs great. The last thing I want to do is repeat my mistake last time and sell a perfectly good car and purchase a nickle and diming car.

So, idealy I would like to keep the GP and put the 300zx in a garage or vise versa. But, the GP is paid off and if I could get around $5K for it, then it would be much easier to get a $8-$10K car. So I dunno what to do. I would rather not go out and sign another $5K-$8K car loan, but this might be a safer idea so I can keep the GP.

So my car. No thrills. A very clean 01 silver GTP with about 98K on the clock. Stock stock stock. Rebuilt trans about 10K miles or so ago. New tires (less that 1K miles). Id like to get $6k, but in all reality I would assume it would go for $5k or even $4K. Hell, in a shitty market maby even $3K.

So should I sell privately? Carmax? Trade in at a dealer (yeah right prolly get ripped off)? What do you think if this whole situation? And comments and or suggestions are much appreciated.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
300zx is not that reliable as a dd. I used to be in the z community a fair bit and it always seemed like the guys that liked and owned those cars had to constantly fix things. It's a great car don't get me wrong. So I'd say keep the gp and save for the 300zx

The other problem is trying to get a car loan for a car that old is going to be like pulling teeth. I'm sure someone will give you a loan at 10+%, but a traditional car loan is unlikely.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
My experience, keep the car and save up for the fun toy car. If something break on it(which will happen) you still have your DD car. When you wanna do mods to it, depending on how extensive of a mod you are doing the car might be down for a day or a week, you still have the DD to get around or if you have to run and get a part that broke when taking something off you have a car to go get it.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Plus you've also said that your car is paid off! So that's a nice headache to not have to worry about. Plus if you really want, pay yourself 400$ a month like if you had a car payment and insurance payments and see how you can handle it. Within a year 400x12 months you'll have 4,800$ saved up to use as a down payment or find a car within your budget.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Kevin is totally right. It's great having something reliable and paid off in addition to a "fun" car. I'm so less stressed knowing if I need to do something major it can be down for a long time and if it breaks I've got a way to get to work.

Car payments SUCK by the way

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Kevin is totally right. It's great having something reliable and paid off in addition to a "fun" car. I'm so less stressed knowing if I need to do something major it can be down for a long time and if it breaks I've got a way to get to work.

Sure do. I got ripped bad at Bob Roahrmans Schaumburg used Honda. Bought the trans am there (biggest effin mistake). Took it back and after a ton of bitching and visits they gave me the GP for like $8k three years ago with 60K on the clock.... But the loan was a 3yr at 16% apr. Every payment $40 was going out the window... Shitty situation. Fuck bob roarman.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Yeah, I can't recommend a 300zx as your only car. I can't think of more than maybe 1-2 younger guys who daily drive theirs. Most of us have Maxima's or subarus as the daily drivers. Mostly because for me to get a lot of parts I have to order them online as most of the local available stuff is just junk imo.

I have my paid off nasty old maxima as my daily. Putting a new clutch and she better last another 30-40k miles before I buy something newer.

I couldn't agree more with thisentire statement

Sure do. I got ripped bad at Bob Roahrmans Schaumburg used Honda. Bought the trans am there (biggest effin mistake). Took it back and after a ton of bitching and visits they gave me the GP for like $8k three years ago with 60K on the clock.... But the loan was a 3yr at 16% apr. Every payment $40 was going out the window... Shitty situation. Fuck bob roarman.

Yeah, I generally avoid dealers like the plague. That massive parcle of land and pretty building is paid for by people like getting rolled. Shop forum boards, Autotrader, Hemmings, Craigslist, etc. And someone said it already, pay yourself that 400 a month and in years time you will have 5 grand to drop! And if you have a well sorted very reliable DD, why rock the boat with that?

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Plus you've also said that your car is paid off! So that's a nice headache to not have to worry about. Plus if you really want, pay yourself 400$ a month like if you had a car payment and insurance payments and see how you can handle it. Within a year 400x12 months you'll have 4,800$ saved up to use as a down payment or find a car within your budget.

Stop saying things that make sense.......lol

Stop saying things that make sense.......lol

LIKEBUTTON.jpg

transmaxed

TCG Elite Member
Jun 23, 2008
Palatine
Real Name
Matt
You got owned by bob rohrman too? I bought a maxima from him (not my current one) with blown airbags. After owning the car for a couple weeks I noticed the passanger airbag cover was loose... looked under there found a duct taped blown airbag... Couldn't believe it. Shoulda sued the guy or something. He offered to give me another car, I refused it, and they eventually took the car back and gave me all my money back.

As for the actual topic, idk anything about 300zx's, other then they look bad-ass. But I also am a fan of owning 2 cars. I have 2 right now, my TA and my Maxima. I dont wanna let the maxima go because I've owned it since 2005, and I have kept pretty good care of it, so I dont wanna sell it, esp since its worth so little. Also think of this, having a 2nd car gives you an option for a winter car. That way if you buy something real nice, you can store it in the winter time! Thats my primary reason to own the Maxima.

Oh also, you def wont get a loan for a 1990 car, the bank would not even give me a loan for a 2002 car. Seems the general rule is 8 years old.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
You got owned by bob rohrman too? I bought a maxima from him (not my current one) with blown airbags. After owning the car for a couple weeks I noticed the passanger airbag cover was loose... looked under there found a duct taped blown airbag... Couldn't believe it. Shoulda sued the guy or something. He offered to give me another car, I refused it, and they eventually took the car back and gave me all my money back.

As for the actual topic, idk anything about 300zx's, other then they look bad-ass. But I also am a fan of owning 2 cars. I have 2 right now, my TA and my Maxima. I dont wanna let the maxima go because I've owned it since 2005, and I have kept pretty good care of it, so I dont wanna sell it, esp since its worth so little. Also think of this, having a 2nd car gives you an option for a winter car. That way if you buy something real nice, you can store it in the winter time! Thats my primary reason to own the Maxima.

Oh also, you def wont get a loan for a 1990 car, the bank would not even give me a loan for a 2002 car. Seems the general rule is 8 years old.

wow that is not cool! A blown airbag?? I can see maby sawdust in the trans (lol figure of speech) but knowingly selling a car with a faulty airbag? No class.

Im going to give my car loan company a call right now for shits n giggles. Can't hurt to try :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info