First, Reverse, or Something Else?

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
So, here's a little brain teaser for you all:

Now, like me, I'm sure most of you who have been driving manual transmission vehicles have at one time or another been instructed how to properly park your vehicle on a hill. So, here's a little scenario for you.

Pretend for a moment that you need to park your manual transmission vehicle, but the parking/emergency brake has failed and you have no steering wheel lock.

Question 1:

If you park facing uphill on a steep incline, which gear do you park in? Why?

Question 2:

If you park facing downhill on a steep decline, which gear do you park in? Why?

Answer each question with a thorough explanation of why you chose that gear. Take a moment to think before you answer, you might be surprised by your own, and other peoples', reasoning.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
If facing downhill, I'd put it in reverse to hopefully have the transmission keep the car in place, if facing downhill backwards I'd keep the car in first for the same reason. In reality, I probably wouldn't take the car anywhere but the dealer to get that fixed asap.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Id pick 5th because of the lower mechanical advantage. I'd also cut the wheels into whatever is near. I got a brick in my trunk for such occasions.

If you park in 5th, wouldn't that actually have the opposite of your desired effect? Instead of the engine normally driving a small gear, driving a big gear, you now have gravity driving a big gear, driving a small gear; making the vehicle easier to roll.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
If facing downhill, I'd put it in reverse to hopefully have the transmission keep the car in place, if facing downhill backwards I'd keep the car in first for the same reason. In reality, I probably wouldn't take the car anywhere but the dealer to get that fixed asap.

Why would putting the car in reverse, when facing downhill, keep it from rolling any moreso than putting it in first when facing downhill?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
First, every time, unless it's backwards, then Reverse. Putting it in a gear that will turn the motor the opposite direction is crazy. I would never do that, because the motor WILL turn if the hill is steep enough :rofl:

How about just parking sideways? Leave that bitch in N

Ninja Edit.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Why would putting the car in reverse, when facing downhill, keep it from rolling any moreso than putting it in first when facing downhill?

It woulden't really make a difference, unless the gear ratio is different between first gear and reverse (not really much lol). I've actually tried this quite a bit because my driveway is very steep, and alot of my manual transmission cars have had weaker parking brakes. If parked downhill I always put the car in first because 1) It's got the highest gear ratio, so will be hardest to spin the engine (as previously stated) and 2) because if the car does roll, the engine will spin in the direction it normally operates in. Same reason for reverse if parked uphill, the gear is about as tall as first (give or take), and if the car does roll, the engine will spin in is normal direction. (winding back an engine is bad IMO lol)

With automatic transmission vehicles, I put the vehicle in neutral, apply the parking brake, release regular brake to be sure the vehicle will not roll, and then put the vehicle in park. (To reduce wear and the possibility of "park lock" on the transmission)

Just my .02 explained as best I can.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Steep Incline:
I use reverse gear for reasons already stated.

Steep Decline:
I use 2nd gear for the simple reason that (to me) it's easier to push it out of gear when you get back in and less of a reach. (Ya i can be that lazy)
I don't think that ratio of gears between 1st and 2nd makes too much of a difference because the pressure in the cylinders will still stop the car from moving.

In both cases i would turn the wheel away from the street with or without steering lock

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info