i need to borrow a high speed buffer

ScottyB

Mar 4, 2010
anyone willing to lend me their buffer for a day or 2? i need to do some wet sanding and my orbital just wont cut it. i have all the waxes and compunds, just need the buffer and a couple pads. i can leave some collateral if needed. cash, license, anything you would need from me to be able to take it for a few days. i can come pick it up.

scott
708 299 7067
[email protected]

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora

why is it so expensive and why is it described as a random orbital?
They are $150 or less everywhere else and the one you posted a link to is the older verson that barely works. You can get a whole kit with the porter-cable, pads and polishes for what they are charging.
Are you using this to sand or to buff the sanding marks?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
why is it so expensive and why is it described as a random orbital?
They are $150 or less everywhere else and the one you posted a link to is the older verson that barely works. You can get a whole kit with the porter-cable, pads and polishes for what they are charging.
Are you using this to sand or to buff the sanding marks?

You act as if I'm the retailer selling it or something. I just posted the link to the same unit that I have.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I don't remember what I paid for mine, I like it a lot though. I rarely use it cause I'm a firm believer that polishing adds more scratches than it takes out, but I have used it on certain areas to get rid of deeper scratches.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I don't remember what I paid for mine, I like it a lot though. I rarely use it cause I'm a firm believer that polishing adds more scratches than it takes out, but I have used it on certain areas to get rid of deeper scratches.

Wtf? You are removing scratches when you polish properly. Then you seal the paint. Washing improperly instills more scratches

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Polishing properly??? You remove the scratch by scratching the paint and removing it with fine scratches, am I incorrect in my thinking??? It's funny that you always have to "seal" the paint afterwards to hide all the fine scratches that the polishing just added.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Polishing properly??? You remove the scratch by scratching the paint and removing it with fine scratches, am I incorrect in my thinking??? It's funny that you always have to "seal" the paint afterwards to hide all the fine scratches that the polishing just added.

You are removing very thin layers of clearcoat. You have enough on the car to do this multiple times if you do it right. I can gaurantee you that I can polish a car and then strip the paint of all waxes and oils and it will not have any scratches. The wax that you apply after the polishing is to protect th paint from uv rays and so that contaminants don't bond to the paint as easily.
You probably just take your car through automatics and then use wax with fillers to make it look better.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Remember when we polished Jon's hood, where those scratches were? We got rid of them 90%, but we also added many small surface scratches. The hood looked a lot better after we polished it, but you can't deny it didn't add small surface scratches.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Remember when we polished Jon's hood, where those scratches were? We got rid of them 90%, but we also added many small surface scratches. The hood looked a lot better after we polished it, but you can't deny it didn't add small surface scratches.

What pad and compounds did you use? Do you guys have experience with a polisher? You probably needed to follow it up with something less aggressive.
Also the true test is to look at the panels in the sun.

Check out the paint before and afters on this thing..
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/33279-aston-martin-detail-barry-theal.html

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

I cannot remember what we used, but if it was clean orange cutting pad and a good compound it would have left the surface virtually swirl free.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info