Turbo Manifolds and Turbos

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So I'm curious:

My hatch is gonna get boosted, but I was curious about all the different types of turbo manifolds, and what are the pros and cons?

I know there are "Log style", "Ramhorn", and something that resembles and 'equal length' type of thing for 4 cylinder hondas. (I have no AC or PS so fitment isn't an issue with any kind)

Also, I'm curious "What type of turbo would be most advantageous to use with this engine and transmission?" The cars powerband is pretty fat for being a small displacement 4 banger and the trans is pretty wide, but its rev limit is only 7K RPM. The PSI goal would be 8PSI or less, and for it to spool by 3-3.5K RPM initially as the stock MAP will only register up to 8PSI, and the internals can only handle another 3-4lbs before you're pushing it.

so the question is:

What type of manifold and turbo do I buy for my B18B1 that will be the best bang for the buck without blowing up my engine.

Another question is:

What type of fuel management can I use that I can learn to tune on my own *No dynos even remotely close to me*

Xx CHOPPZ xX

R.I.P Chris "Crazy Chris" Beckmann. I will Miss U!
Feb 29, 2008
Chicago
Go with a Full Race manifold and a 35R turbo with an AEM tuning system. Run 880 to 1000CC injectors with a 255 fuel pump. Make sure you get LSD for the trans with stage 3 clutch. Full 3" turbo back exhast. 3.5" thick intercooler with custom piping done. The motor needs to be all done up also. This is a good start:bigthumb:

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Go with a Full Race manifold and a 35R turbo with an AEM tuning system. Run 880 to 1000CC injectors with a 255 fuel pump. Make sure you get LSD for the trans with stage 3 clutch. Full 3" turbo back exhast. 3.5" thick intercooler with custom piping done. The motor needs to be all done up also. This is a good start:bigthumb:

shut the fuck up!

i got my turbo setup for sale (the one thats running on my 4door right now) 1000.00 o.b.o. with intercooler, turbo, mani, and all lines. direct swap for you my friend!!!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

See, I wanna start off with just a SMALL turbo, and stock internals BEFORE I do that. I wanna learn how to get it all working well, and learn how to do it all with a $800 turbo kit before I drop $5000 on a race turbo setup and built internals.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
1000.00 is the best deal you gonna find - its a small turbo - good mani - good intercooler and ify piping - good setup for what you want

save another 200 and call me its ready to come off - i just dont want it anymore and need money seeing that i got huge plans for the neon!

I know $1000 is a good deal... but you didn't answer my question :rofl:

What are you using for fuel management? what injectors/fuel pump you running? what kind of manifold? what kind of turbo?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
well if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black....

that turbo'ed civic actually beat me in a run at byron by like a tenth of a second (damn top end). I have the time slip somewhere...

I didn't mean it in a bad way, I just know Das was aiming for low 15's before and if that turbo set-up could hit him high or mid 14's ( which I know it did on another car...), it's a good thing. I wasn't being negative at all.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Id go for the setup from Rodger. Its made to fit the car, has proven to put an otherwise stock car in the 14s, and its relatively cheap. If you dont buy that, Id just go with some cheap ebay stuff minus the turbo. No need to spend big money if you are staying lower boost, and a bolt on only motor right now. Im sure you agree that there are other parts of your car that could get some attention before dropping over $1k on the turbo shit.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
that turbo'ed civic actually beat me in a run at byron by like a tenth of a second (damn top end). I have the time slip somewhere...

I didn't mean it in a bad way, I just know Das was aiming for low 15's before and if that turbo set-up could hit him high or mid 14's ( which I know it did on another car...), it's a good thing. I wasn't being negative at all.

Thank you for the positive comment! But my hatch is worlds different from SRT's sedan, I'm gutted (a gutted hatch is a solid 300lbs lighter than a full sedan), with a larger displacement motor *more torque, less hp*.

A big problem he has currently is that he has a transmission that is geared terribly for his motor, if he had the correct transmission for his power plant, he could net a low 14, high 13 I'm certain.

Im sure you agree that there are other parts of your car that could get some attention before dropping over $1k on the turbo shit.

Oh god yes, Lol. Suspension/rims/tires are the next thing on the list before boost. No point trying to put down power when the car handles like a wet rag and has model-T width tires.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
exactly.... thats why you should really consider picking up the kit from him

I am considering it, but I still wanna learn about it all, I'm curious what kind of turbo it is, what RPM's does it spool at, how does it all work (I know the basics of HOW it increases HP, but I am more interested in turbo to motor efficiency, and tuning)

TURBOC1

Addict
Oct 23, 2007
Marengo,IL
if you just want a cheap turbo kit go with rodgers kit. I was the one driving it at the drag strip. It will go high 13's or fast with no changes to the kit. The day at the track the car had two bad axles, 17" rims, LS trans, and a rev limit set to 7,000. it is a 14b, ebay main, steel intercooling piping, and on crome. you will have to retune it for your motor and get injectors. just get a set of rc's 550 so they grow with you down the road. for the $1,000 you cant go wrong.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
my kit is the most basic it can get - im running chrome (most places can tune it and sell it cheap) dsm 440's (id spend the money and get RC's) my car is running the dsm 14b and only running 8psi - turbo is good to around 20psi so even that turbo setup there is plenty of room to grow. plus the intercooler piping might not be the greatest but it will fit you car and you can modify/fix when you get a chance...ive put 12,000 miles on this setup so far with no major problems at all....and the tranny issue isnt really a issue cuz you finish the 1/4 over 100mph and still in 3rd gear plus you get the great gas mileage

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info