Talk me out of (or into) a Porsche 911 996

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My uncle just sold his... I think he bought a GTR :hsugh:

If you know of anybody, I'll sell her right now for $33,000.00 and $36K in the Spring.

2003, Midnight Blue Metallic, Metropol Blue top, Savanna Biege Full lether interior, Power seat package, Xenon's, Tiptronic, Heated seats, 18" Lt alloy Carrera wheels, wheels caps with colored crests, PSM, HiFi sound, Lumbar support for Left & right seat, Porsche Windstop, Supple leather front & rear, Savanna Biege floor mats, Center consul painted Ext color, Porsche crest in headrest, Aluminum shifter/brake.

Original Total sticker for above was - $98,440.00

Vin# WP0CA29913S650794

Also included is:
Porsche car cover
Removable Hardtop
Porsche cover for hard top
Stand (on wheels) for hardtop

Equipped with:
(2) 225/40ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Rib N1's
(2) 285/30ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Rib N1's

smbv2h.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Speed is not my overall concern. Fun is my goal and they're supposed to be a blast. A turbo isn't out of the question but isn't a must have. A convertible is a must. Perhaps I'm having a late 20's quarter life crisis but I've wanted a convertible for a few years now.

I understand the convertible isn't as stiff and is heavier. These are things I've taken into account.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I want a 911. That's the car. I realize there are faster cars, better handling cars, coupes will handle better than convertibles, etc. A few of you are trying to talk me out of the car as if I'm not aware it's a naturally aspirated, convertible Porsche. These things I know. What I want to know is if there's any specific reasons not to get one or if anyone knows anything specific about them.

Panda, what your uncle sold is almost spot on to what I'm looking for.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I want a 911. That's the car. I realize there are faster cars, better handling cars, coupes will handle better than convertibles, etc. A few of you are trying to talk me out of the car as if I'm not aware it's a naturally aspirated, convertible Porsche. These things I know. What I want to know is if there's any specific reasons not to get one or if anyone knows anything specific about them.

Panda, what your uncle sold is almost spot on to what I'm looking for.

From what I have heard/read/seen, 2000+ Porsche's have been notoriously reliable. I have heard the newest PDK gear boxes are fairly impressive as well, but have read horror stories/heard to avoid the older auto/manumatics.

IIRC there was a recall that impacted a few early 00's Porsche's or am I way off...?

Personally I'd have an S2000 vert, or look for a classic (Camaro/Mustang/Etc) If I was looking for an eye catching fun/nice Vert in the 20-35K price range.

if you have your heart set on the 911, I'd say go for it! www.vwvortex.com has one of the largest automotive forums in the world "The Car Lounge" and this is one of their 'darlings'

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I would look for a 996 911 Turbo if I were you... I like those cars alot. Test drive alot of differant stuff before you lock down to one vehicle. How about an SL55 AMG? I'm not a huge fan of either car, but I used to drive one of those from the dealership a while back and I did have alot of fun in it.

PS. If you're ready to make a decision and want a good deal on a car shoot me a PM :D

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Buying a non turbo porsche is like slapping god in the face IMO.

obviously you haven't owned a Porsche yet... otherwise you'd understand just how off-base this comment is

Anyway, I'd go for a 993 long before a 996 (but I'm biased toward air cooled 911s and happen to own a 96 993 and an 02 Boxster S -- Love them both for different reasons)

I can see why the guys here would steer you towards getting the turbo even though you came right out in your OP and said otherwise, its just a matter of fact that there is nothing wrong with Porsches, just the one that you are choosing. If you can afford a convertible 911 then get it in turbo and always have a better resale value. No one wants to see you settle for second best when your're almost there

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info