Car audio question...

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
So I am working on a GP that the previous owner bought with the remnants of a system in it. It has a JL Audio 300/4 4 channel amp and it looks like the previous owner had subs because i see another set of RCA's and a power and ground coming out of the amp rack. The problem is that the rear speakers are getting no sound. The owner had a JVC something or other headunit installed because i am guessing it did not come with a stereo hooked up. The HU has 2 sets of pre outs, FRONT and SUB. There is a 4 channel set of RCA's behind the HU and an extra set for the subs that aren't there. Right now the FRONT pre amps are going to the front input on the 4 channel, and it looks like they have the SUB pre amps connected to the rear input on the four channel amp. Can you do this, or do i need to somehow get a splitter for the RCA's from the FRONT preamp to go to the front and rear inputs on the 4 channel amp? Or does she just need a headunit with 3 sets of Preamps on it? I hate going over something that other people have already put together because i have no idea what they did. Also what should i set my multimeter to to see if the rear speakers are getting power?

I wish I could help you man but that sounds like one big clusterfuck and I never really got into the whole process of running amps to speakers. I think that you would need a splitter though, or a better head unit. Honestly I would say your best bet is yank it all and start from the beginning. Cause like you said, working on other people mistakes is a bitch and car audio is by far no exception. You still in the Aurora area? There's plenty of sound shops you could stop by and ask and they could give you some advice or help you out with it.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
You can split the front pre-outs and run to front and rear on the amp.

If I read right, there is an additional set of RCAs? I'm guessing the stereo that was in there previously had 6 pre-outs then.

If the SUB pre-out on the headunit was running to the rear input on the amp and the rear speakers were hooked up properly, then you should be getting some sort of noise out of them, albeit not the proper noise.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I am working on a GP that the previous owner bought with the remnants of a system in it. It has a JL Audio 300/4 4 channel amp and it looks like the previous owner had subs because i see another set of RCA's and a power and ground coming out of the amp rack. The problem is that the rear speakers are getting no sound. The owner had a JVC something or other headunit installed because i am guessing it did not come with a stereo hooked up. The HU has 2 sets of pre outs, FRONT and SUB. There is a 4 channel set of RCA's behind the HU and an extra set for the subs that aren't there. Right now the FRONT pre amps are going to the front input on the 4 channel, and it looks like they have the SUB pre amps connected to the rear input on the four channel amp. Can you do this, or do i need to somehow get a splitter for the RCA's from the FRONT preamp to go to the front and rear inputs on the 4 channel amp? Or does she just need a headunit with 3 sets of Preamps on it? I hate going over something that other people have already put together because i have no idea what they did. Also what should i set my multimeter to to see if the rear speakers are getting power?

Why dont you just re-wire everything, who knows what kind of shortcuts the previous owner took? Do you even know if the rear speakers work?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
:fu: With splitters still only the front speakers work, when i plug the RCA's into the rear input i get nothing... yet she says they worked before this new HU was installed at Best Buy last year. I'm wondering if having the SUB preamp connected to the rear input on the amp fucked something up. Anyone know what to set my multimeter to to see if the rear speakers are getting power, and what to look for on the reading?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
when i plug the RCA's into the rear input i get nothing... yet she says they worked before this new HU was installed at Best Buy last year.

Yep. Got a multimeter answer via google search. Going to test the rear speaker wires with known good speakers and see what the deal is. Whoever did this install originally left no wiggle room with the speaker wire to the amp. You unscrew it from the false wall and still can only pull the amp out a couple inches.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
why dont you just take the fronts rcas, put them into the rear RCA's inputs on the amp and see if you get sound that way first. Lets you know that everything is working right first before you troubleshoot other stuff.

This.

And if you're still having trouble, I'd recommend pulling everything and starting over. I pulled a mile of wire out of my DSM when I first got it and it would have been a huge waste to figure out everything from there.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Known good speaker makes no sound in rear. I've checked everything from the HU to the amp and it's legit. It's either the rear inputs on the amp or the speaker wiring that's fucked up. Going to run new speaker wire from the amp to the rear speakers to rule that out.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
It looks like Best Buy tried to fix it by hooking the rear speakers up to the factory wiring, but never completely installed the wiring harness to the HU. AFTER figuring out the wires were getting no signal is when i noticed two sets of cut off speaker wire sticking out of the top of the false wall that matched the wire connected to the amp... Durrrr.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I don't get it. The amp has a 2ch/4ch switch and everything. They could have just flipped the switch to 2ch and been good. They tried to have her come back, I'm assuming to finish hooking the rear speakers to the HU. I'm pretty sure it was North Aurora.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info