any 300zx info

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
all of the info you will ever need is on twinturbo.net

Engine blocks, crank etc are the same. Compression ratios are different, fueling system is different,injectors are different, heads also don't flow as well.

I have an NA block with girdle sitting in a nice place for a rainy day if I ever do something stupid to my current block.

A lot of new parts have come out in the last year to let us hit about 400-440 on pump gas with stock turbos/engine/transmission, around 500 on race fuel. But they don't come cheap. Just a simple selin dual intake, bigger injectors, electronic boost controller, chip, downpipes/testpipes and a boost controller and boost at 14-16 psi would be a lot of fun for relatively cheap. Most cars you will look at will already have a lot of this done.

Biggest thing to look for imo is brittle EFI harness, especially around the PTU area as it will cause ignition issues. These cars don't really have rust specific areas like the older Z chassis.

Btw if you buy one and put a front mount on it I will punch you in the stomach ;)

Clean ones can be found for -9k. I paid on the high end for mine but it was truly mint for what I got.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
all of the info you will ever need is on twinturbo.net

Engine blocks, crank etc are the same. Compression ratios are different, fueling system is different,injectors are different, heads also don't flow as well.

I have an NA block with girdle sitting in a nice place for a rainy day if I ever do something stupid to my current block.

A lot of new parts have come out in the last year to let us hit about 400-440 on pump gas with stock turbos/engine/transmission, around 500 on race fuel. But they don't come cheap. Just a simple selin dual intake, bigger injectors, electronic boost controller, chip, downpipes/testpipes and a boost controller and boost at 14-16 psi would be a lot of fun for relatively cheap. Most cars you will look at will already have a lot of this done.

Biggest thing to look for imo is brittle EFI harness, especially around the PTU area as it will cause ignition issues. These cars don't really have rust specific areas like the older Z chassis.

Btw if you buy one and put a front mount on it I will punch you in the stomach ;)

Clean ones can be found for -9k. I paid on the high end for mine but it was truly mint for what I got.

9K!?, you can pickup a 03-04 350z for 12K - 13K.... I didn't realize those 300zx's are so pricey

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
9K!?, you can pickup a 03-04 350z for 12K - 13K.... I didn't realize those 300zx's are so pricey

300zx's new in the early 90's were 30-40k and were a luxury GT car.
350z's are far simpler/cheaper/smaller as to get back to the old Z days.
Compare the interiors between the two... you will see where they cheaped out.

I paid 9k for mine about 6 months before the market tanked. Probably worth 8k after it did tank. But it has never seen salt/snow/barely any rain and has the factory paint that was minty, and the interior was flawless. Won 3rd at a national Z car convention with it which is all based on cleanliness and proper parts and not the whole HIN,NOPI gaudy bs. Should have gotten second but I had no time to clean the car as we were swapping injectors the whole day before the car show on one of our club members NA that decide to spew fuel out of them. (don't buy shitty injectors btw)

I have seen low mileage ones at 30-50k miles sell for more.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
The 300ZX TT is also faster than a 350Z lol

I was just comparing it to the same car(well, as close to same as there is) that is 8 - 10 years newer... oh, and:

And a quick Google search yields that they are in fact equal:

1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
0-60 5.6, 1/4 14.1(auto) 13.7(manual)

2003 Nissan 350z
0-60 5.4, 1/4 14.1

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
300zx's new in the early 90's were 30-40k and were a luxury GT car.
350z's are far simpler/cheaper/smaller as to get back to the old Z days.
Compare the interiors between the two... you will see where they cheaped out..

350z's were 26K - 34k brand new, and the 300ZX was 29k - 36k brand new, so I am unsure what your point is here as they are the same price range

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
I was just comparing it to the same car(well, as close to same as there is) that is 8 - 10 years newer... oh, and:

And a quick Google search yields that they are in fact equal:

1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
0-60 5.6, 1/4 14.1(auto) 13.7(manual)

2003 Nissan 350z
0-60 5.4, 1/4 14.1

Yeah, but the 350 is supposed to be a successor. 13 year difference and its not faster lol.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't even consider the 300zx and the 350z to be in the same arena. The ZX was a much "better" car all around and has held it's value due to it's popularity, much like Supras and RX7's of the same vintage. I can't imagine that anyone who would be considering a 350z would also have an early 90's 300zx on their radar so the comparison seems a little silly to me.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
350z's were 26K - 34k brand new, and the 300ZX was 29k - 36k brand new, so I am unsure what your point is here as they are the same price range

You forget inflation dear sir.
What cost $35000 in 1990 would cost $56726.59 in 2009.

Sit in both cars side by side and you will see how different they are amenities wise and interior wise. The other Z cars call ours the couch car for a reason.

In a straight line they might be equal but a 350z is no slouch on a track with actual curves. Plus the VQ motor is simply a very reliable motor that is a lot easier to work on with its NA configuration.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
1996 are harder to mod as the ECU is different and it is OBD2. Also they are rather rare as not many were made so the price sometimes goes up.

http://www.modified.com/features/0306scc_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo/index.html

Also make sure you know when the timing belt was done and some documentation of what was done during it.

whats wrong with front mounts?! :rofl:

Almost all of the front mounts made for the car are less effective than bigger side mounts.

Only set I know of that flows well enough without a lot of pressure drop is the TDM one and those are rather hard to find these days.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
An NA-TT swap is not easy. The rear end needs swapped to take full advantage of the gearing for the turbo motor and that includes a full sub-frame swap. You're much better off getting a TT. They cheap as dirt anyway.

Reid

Not saying it is right or wrong but some of the TT guys swap out for NA rear ends for the higher gearing/acceleration when on smaller turbos or stock turbos. We even have 4.1 gears made every couple of years for people who want to keep the stouter TT rear end and half shafts. I still need to drive my friends car that has this done to see if I like it or not though.

I would check 300zxclub.com or twinturbo.net as people are usually selling cars on there that might be better sorted out. I didn't have much luck locally with rust belt cars but that was my biggest concern when I bought mine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info