I need to find a detailing supply place in the NW burbs.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Needed to ask a question sort of on topic but had a guy tell me that buffers put micro scratches in the clear coat that cannot be seen by the naked eye. Is this true and is it detrimental to use a buffer? Just askin'...

Pretty much exactly what they do depending on the compound, buffer pad and speed of the buffer. Do it wrong and you get hologram swirl marks or can burn right thru your finish. Wet sanding (color sanding) is the same thing only more abrasive and even that has to be buffed out afterwards.

It's only detrimental to use a buffer on your car if you don't know what you're doing or do it too much. Not every little scratch needs a 1700rpm pad being blazed across it when it could've been gotten out by hand. I buff my car once maybe twice a year with the exception of if I get a little scratch but I know what I'm doing and I have years of experience. However I will POLISH my car more than that with an orbital like a Porter or Flex polosher. To me "buffing" is using my Milwaukee rotary that spins at almost 1800 RPM, is not adjustable, weighs half a freakin ton and can and has easily burnt thru paint. Thats what I get for buying another black car.

Pretty much exactly what they do depending on the compound, buffer pad and speed of the buffer. Do it wrong and you get hologram swirl marks or can burn right thru your finish. Wet sanding (color sanding) is the same thing only more abrasive and even that has to be buffed out afterwards.

It's only detrimental to use a buffer on your car if you don't know what you're doing or do it too much. Not every little scratch needs a 1700rpm pad being blazed across it when it could've been gotten out by hand. I buff my car once maybe twice a year with the exception of if I get a little scratch but I know what I'm doing and I have years of experience. However I will POLISH my car more than that with an orbital like a Porter or Flex polosher. To me "buffing" is using my Milwaukee rotary that spins at almost 1800 RPM, is not adjustable, weighs half a freakin ton and can and has easily burnt thru paint. Thats what I get for buying another black car.

Thanks for the info!! I have a dual action polisher I need to try out. :noes:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Thanks for the info!! I have a dual action polisher I need to try out. :noes:

Take it easy at first, you can still make very visible mistakes with a dual action polisher. Make sure you have the right pads for the right compounds (don't use one pad for everything) and don't spend too much time in one spot and burn your clearcoat or hologram your car. Take it slow, watch what you're doing and eventually it'll come to you. If you want some good tips or advice check Adams polishes website or forum and watch the videos.

Color sanding and wet sanding are the same thing and same methods. Done to get imperfections out of the paint or clearcoat and gives the finish a nice deep, wet look. Some detailing places still do it but it's really expensive and not worth the liability for them, it's mostly done at body shops during the painting process. If you make too many mistakes sanding you have to repaint

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info