will a bum 02 cause a missfire under load?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
04 crown vic, no cats, 2.5" to the muffs, and stock tails.
it threw a drivers primary 02 code, i thought it was a coinscience. i just moved that 02 to the passenger side. if the problem moves, easy... i replace sensor. maybe not?

but i also replaced the dreaded cracked intake manifold which was leaking coolant.
seems like now, its got a miss under load. breaktorque it and it pops slightly... converter locks up around 45mph, and it chugs....

thoughts? comments?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
what code? unless its constantly reading low/high or is skewed it shouldnt

unplug and leave disconnected and reset fuel trims and that will run you on base fueling so you can eliminate that possibility.

prob ign cables though since ya had the intake off you prob broke one internally it will slowly get worse as the break in the wire burns the gap open farther and farther

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
the code was P2195:
Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Signal Stuck Lean
(Bank 1 Sensor 1)

i did notice that when i reinstalled the COPs they did no "snap" on. like they didnt pop like pushing a normal plug wire onto a plug. i have NO idea how these modulars are. this is the first ive toyed with.

i went around the engine while it was idling and pushed and twisted each COP. i then went around and unplugged and reconnected. no noticable change. however the moment its under that certain amount of load.......

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if anything a bad plug/COP will cause a rich condition (unburned fuel dumped into the exhaust), not lean. have you checked for vac leaks? maybe a hose didnt get connected after you replaced the intake.
no it will cause a lean condition...the o2 sens only senses oxygen concentration compared to atmospheric oxygen concentration.
a missfire will dump unburned fuel AND oxygen into the exhaust..the o2 will read lean, the pcm will compensate by adding fuel...when this doesnt correct it it will trigger a lean bank code if the missfire monitors dont detect the issue

iirc ford cop doesnt have "clips" its just a steel spring inside the boots that touches the coil terminal and theplug end.

i was thinking the old style 4.6 with wires...sorry

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
rears are diagnostic for catalyst monitors...foulers work great for cat delete's with older style cat monitors...newer systems use multiple tests to test cat oxygen storage capacity so the foulers/sims dont always work for them (fuckin fed emissions)

that may or may not reset the fuel trims but resetting trims will only make it trip a lean code faster...swapping the two without zeroing trims will mean it'll take a little longer as it is in a "learned" trim mode and not as agressivly retesting trims.

from my im240 diagnostic days i can tell ya this...ford has an engine managment philosophy of keeping the cel light off unless its required by fed emissions standards...so if it tripped a code...that triggered the light...you def have a fault...its when them bastards wouldnt trigger anything that i had fun diagnosing em

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if you dont have a scantool that will reset trims, then yeah bat disconnect is the way to go...usually 5-10minutes is enough for all power system caps to discharge, crossing cables while disconnected will drain the caps even faster so yeah you could do that and be extra sure it did a hard reset.

you can unplug o2's before or after..wont mater...you trigger B1S1 and B2S1 heater/fault codes so the light will be on right away as soon as you start it but your looking to see if fueling is skewed by the o2 enough to cause the missfire or whether the missfire is causing the lean fault.

my guess is youll still have the mis as im pretty sure your lean 02 fault is the effect not the cause
regardless its a cheep and simple test and i have seen o2's that get contaminated on their atmosperic side/sensing side, bad enough that it will massivly skew its "stoic" switchover point at 450mv
its not often but i have seen it so it's best to rule it out since its relatively easy.
afterward you can clear trims again and plug em back in...if the lean stays on bank 1 and doesnt follow the sensor start diagnosing ign stuff on bank1

was there oil in any of the COP bores/bottom of the boots?
when its missing is the cel flashing?
btw id suggest investing in a snap-on brick/etc so ya'll can check the missfire monitor counts....makes that shit real easy...if ya get one with the programable cartriges your good to 04 and can read generic obd2 for 05+
i dont know what id do without mine :rofl:

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
if you dont have a scantool that will reset trims, then yeah bat disconnect is the way to go...usually 5-10minutes is enough for all power system caps to discharge, crossing cables while disconnected will drain the caps even faster so yeah you could do that and be extra sure it did a hard reset.

you can unplug o2's before or after..wont mater...you trigger B1S1 and B2S1 heater/fault codes so the light will be on right away as soon as you start it but your looking to see if fueling is skewed by the o2 enough to cause the missfire or whether the missfire is causing the lean fault.

my guess is youll still have the mis as im pretty sure your lean 02 fault is the effect not the cause
regardless its a cheep and simple test and i have seen o2's that get contaminated on their atmosperic side/sensing side, bad enough that it will massivly skew its "stoic" switchover point at 450mv
its not often but i have seen it so it's best to rule it out since its relatively easy.
afterward you can clear trims again and plug em back in...if the lean stays on bank 1 and doesnt follow the sensor start diagnosing ign stuff on bank1

was there oil in any of the COP bores/bottom of the boots?
when its missing is the cel flashing?
btw id suggest investing in a snap-on brick/etc so ya'll can check the missfire monitor counts....makes that shit real easy...if ya get one with the programable cartriges your good to 04 and can read generic obd2 for 05+
i dont know what id do without mine :rofl:

nah, the spark plug bores were clean as hell. the only thing might have been a little anti freeze leaked down those holes, but im sure its dry by now. i did the intake this past saturday.

the CEL is on solid all the time. never flashed.

what are the odds its a junk set of plugs?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
so i went and saw jeff at advance.. we scanned it. that bank 1 primary sensor which is not in bank 2, is reading .000 accross the board. i went ahead and picked one up. stuck it in, and now draining the system to reset everything.

we'll see what happens.

i was throwing a total of 7 codes when we scanned it agian about 45 min ago. egr codes, map code, b1s1 efficincy code just to name a few.

the rear o2s are reading as normal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info