97 cavalier intermitent start

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
friend has a 97 cavalier 2.2L.

she said when it rains/snows and its wet/humidy the car has VERY hard trouble starting or will not start at all. then sometimes when it does it chugs and misfires likes its trying to stay alive, and then it throws a CEL. i dont have a scanner to see. any possible ideas to look at? sounds like water is getting in the electrical somewhere... moisture in the ignition coil? any help is great. thanks guys

Zpan01

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago
I know I had an issue similar to this on my old '97 Cavalier. The plug wires were pretty old and were collecting moisture. I changed the wires and the plugs and that did the trick.

It might be helpful to start there. If the insulation on the wires is cracked, then she won't be getting any spark in the cylinder.

EDIT: also found this... "If you find any damage, it's time to buy a new set. They can be as little as $20 or as much as $100+ for a set depending on your application. It's worth the cost, though. A bad plug wire can be a little monster, it can even trigger your Check Engine Light."

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
at the subframe inboard of the RF wheel is the Tq link/dogbone its only a couple 15mm bolts to remove it and you can rock the motor forward a couple inches and use a 2x4 to space the intake from the firewall.

cav computers like to split and let saltwater/shit inside...its located forward of the RF wheel...most split along the seam due to aluminum corrosion splitting em
buncha odd issues with eric's 97 went away and have never returned after we swapped in a good junkyard computer.

even if its not split ive heard of guys splitting the pcm case and sealing it with rtv to delay it happening again

BillyBru

FoodHead
Apr 29, 2008
okay-face.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info