Nissan NV Cargo Vans

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Thought these weren't going to be sold for a while still? I just say an open car carrier last night carrying 3 of them on route 59...? Test models?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/10/nissan-unveils-nv-commercial-van-available-in-three-different-f/

nissan-nv.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Saw one last night in person at a local Enterprise, First time seeing one up close.

The one I saw was one of the 'bigger' ones, labeled as a "NV2500 HD"

Was easily larger than the biggest Sprinter van I've ever seen, thing is MASSIVE, and the nose is huge. The pictures are very misleading.

wheels-Nissan-NV-blogSpan.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Did it have lettering on it?

My brother in law just got one of these trucks and just got an enterprise account.

I don't recall. it was lined up with a few of the big international box trucks at the enterprise Depot off of 59 by Menards/Micheals in naperville. That's what gave away just how big it is.

I kinda like how funky it looks, but I can't imagine they sell this overseas? (The long nose and thirsty V-8 I'd imagine would not sell worth shit in Japan/Europe.)

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Expect them no not last long with the motor that they have. Nissan is going to have trouble meeting the new CAFE regulations with the gas engine that it has. The titan/armada/qx56 already got terrible fuel mileage and now this behemoth with the same powertrain and platform would probally get worst even unloaded. Shouldve came with a small diesel

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Expect them no not last long with the motor that they have. Nissan is going to have trouble meeting the new CAFE regulations with the gas engine that it has. The titan/armada/qx56 already got terrible fuel mileage and now this behemoth with the same powertrain and platform would probally get worst even unloaded. Shouldve came with a small diesel

Welcome to 4 months ago (see below)

I ASSUME they will be using the diesel they are having cummins develop for the Armada/Titan/Etc for this application also here in the US.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...ng-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan.html

Photos by Cummins, Nissan as published by the U.S. Department of Energy

Cummins is developing a high-efficiency inline-four-cylinder diesel engine with money from the U.S. Department of Energy and in partnership with Nissan for demonstration in the Titan light-duty pickup truck. The project was announced at the DOE’s 2011 Merit Review in Washington, D.C..

Most half-ton truck makers are betting on small-displacement direct-injection gasoline engines to meet future fuel economy regulations, but Cummins expects its small displacement oil burner to get 40 percent better fuel economy over current light-duty V-8 truck engines. The Cummins average fuel economy target for this new diesel engine is 28 mpg while meeting tough U.S. Tier 2 Bin 2 emissions limits, according to the presentation.

Getting 28 mpg combined mileage could mean more than 30 mpg highway, by our estimate, which could help Nissan meet strong new EPA regulations that will raise fleet fuel efficiency standards for light trucks and SUVs to 30 mpg by 2016. The standard for passenger cars is set at 39 mpg by 2016.

Prototype Cummins four-cylinder inline diesel in a current Nissan Titan's engine bay.

Though the project started in September, Nissan and Cummins have already built a prototype version of the four-cylinder diesel and installed it in a current-generation Titan mule for drive testing. Pictures of the engine show four high-pressure fuel rails feeding the engine’s cylinders.

Four cylinders might not seem like enough to power a full-size pickup but that architecture would be ideal to meet fuel economy goals while delivering almost as much torque as some small displacement gasoline V-8s.

The engine has a 2.8-liter displacement (170 cubic inches). Initial power figures on the engine dyno have the mule test engine producing 350 pounds-feet of torque at around 1,800 rpm. A chart in the presentation shows targeted power levels to be approximately 220 horsepower and 380 pounds-feet.

The engine is a derivative of the four-cylinder ISF architecture that Cummins builds overseas, with 2.8-liter and 3.8-liter displacements, according to a Cummins spokesman. The overseas 3.8-liter is rated at 168 horsepower and 443 pounds-feet of torque.

Side profile CAD rendering of the prototype I-4. Note the EGR cooler (purple) and turbo just below it. The front of the engine is to the right.

Innovations highlighted by Cummins in their presentation include the use of high-strength steel pistons instead of conventional aluminum pistons. Steel pistons can handle high power loads with a shorter stroke, which also helps reduce the overall height of the engine for improved underhood packaging. Cummins is also studying the use of variable valve technology, according to the presentation.

To meet U.S. clean-diesel standards, the 2.8 would use diesel exhaust fluid to scrub nitrogen oxide emissions, like Ford and GM use today in their heavy-duty diesel pickups. It would also feature a so-called passive NOx storage system that would capture and hold NOx during cold starts, releasing the gas when temperatures rise to levels of max efficiency for DEF. The passive system would save fuel used today to jumpstart NOx scrubbing when the system is cold.

The total size of the Cummins light-duty clean diesel project is a $30 million effort, with the DOE contributing $15 million. The program is scheduled to run through September 2014, the year in which we expect the next-generation Titan to debut.

Nissan has been working with Cummins for several years studying the potential for a light-duty diesel in the Titan.

The current Nissan Titan is only available with a 5.6-liter V-8 gas engine that's rated at 13/18 mpg city/highway and 15 mpg combined fuel economy.

Stay tuned for more information as it develops.

[Sources: Cummins, U.S. Department of Energy]

Update 2: May-19, 2011 10:15 pm Pacific

We originally reported that "LA-4" was the codename for the engine. That's incorrect. LA-4 refers to the EPA's Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, also known as "the city test." It represents city driving conditions and is used for light-duty vehicle testing.

Cummins says it plans to demonstrate the diesel in a truck chassis using the EPA's Federal Test Procedures (FTP) for emissions certification at Tier 2 Bin 5 levels – used by today's clean diesels – by December 2013 and at Tier 2 Bin 2 levels by September 2014.

LA-4 refers to EPA dyno test procedure for city driving conditions, FTP = EPA Federal Test Procedure, A/T = Aftertreatment (emissions cleaning technologies for soot, NOx, etc.)

We also heard back via e-mail from Nissan spokesman John Schilling after we called the company asking for comment.

"This isn't something we are going to discuss right now," Schilling said. "We don't discuss future product plans including Titan."

-------

Update 1: May-19, 2011 12:05 pm Pacific

In the first version of this post, we said the Cummins I-4 diesel would meet Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards. Cummins says it expects to meet Tier 2 Bin 2 emissions standards with the 2.8-liter engine.

Tier 2 Bin 2 is a stricter standard than the current Tier 2 Bin 5 rules required to qualify as a "clean diesel." Tier 2 Bin 2 standards are the same for internal combustion engines regardless of fuel type (gasoline or diesel). It's equivalent to California's super-ultra-low-emission-vehicle (SULEV) standard.

We've also confirmed with a Cummins spokesman that the 2.8-liter diesel is a derivative of the 2.8 that Cummins builds overseas.

:jg:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Welcome to 4 months ago (see below)

I ASSUME they will be using the diesel they are having cummins develop for the Armada/Titan/Etc for this application also here in the US.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...ng-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan.html

Photos by Cummins, Nissan as published by the U.S. Department of Energy

Cummins is developing a high-efficiency inline-four-cylinder diesel engine with money from the U.S. Department of Energy and in partnership with Nissan for demonstration in the Titan light-duty pickup truck. The project was announced at the DOE’s 2011 Merit Review in Washington, D.C..

Most half-ton truck makers are betting on small-displacement direct-injection gasoline engines to meet future fuel economy regulations, but Cummins expects its small displacement oil burner to get 40 percent better fuel economy over current light-duty V-8 truck engines. The Cummins average fuel economy target for this new diesel engine is 28 mpg while meeting tough U.S. Tier 2 Bin 2 emissions limits, according to the presentation.

Getting 28 mpg combined mileage could mean more than 30 mpg highway, by our estimate, which could help Nissan meet strong new EPA regulations that will raise fleet fuel efficiency standards for light trucks and SUVs to 30 mpg by 2016. The standard for passenger cars is set at 39 mpg by 2016.

Prototype Cummins four-cylinder inline diesel in a current Nissan Titan's engine bay.

Though the project started in September, Nissan and Cummins have already built a prototype version of the four-cylinder diesel and installed it in a current-generation Titan mule for drive testing. Pictures of the engine show four high-pressure fuel rails feeding the engine’s cylinders.

Four cylinders might not seem like enough to power a full-size pickup but that architecture would be ideal to meet fuel economy goals while delivering almost as much torque as some small displacement gasoline V-8s.

The engine has a 2.8-liter displacement (170 cubic inches). Initial power figures on the engine dyno have the mule test engine producing 350 pounds-feet of torque at around 1,800 rpm. A chart in the presentation shows targeted power levels to be approximately 220 horsepower and 380 pounds-feet.

The engine is a derivative of the four-cylinder ISF architecture that Cummins builds overseas, with 2.8-liter and 3.8-liter displacements, according to a Cummins spokesman. The overseas 3.8-liter is rated at 168 horsepower and 443 pounds-feet of torque.

Side profile CAD rendering of the prototype I-4. Note the EGR cooler (purple) and turbo just below it. The front of the engine is to the right.

Innovations highlighted by Cummins in their presentation include the use of high-strength steel pistons instead of conventional aluminum pistons. Steel pistons can handle high power loads with a shorter stroke, which also helps reduce the overall height of the engine for improved underhood packaging. Cummins is also studying the use of variable valve technology, according to the presentation.

To meet U.S. clean-diesel standards, the 2.8 would use diesel exhaust fluid to scrub nitrogen oxide emissions, like Ford and GM use today in their heavy-duty diesel pickups. It would also feature a so-called passive NOx storage system that would capture and hold NOx during cold starts, releasing the gas when temperatures rise to levels of max efficiency for DEF. The passive system would save fuel used today to jumpstart NOx scrubbing when the system is cold.

The total size of the Cummins light-duty clean diesel project is a $30 million effort, with the DOE contributing $15 million. The program is scheduled to run through September 2014, the year in which we expect the next-generation Titan to debut.

Nissan has been working with Cummins for several years studying the potential for a light-duty diesel in the Titan.

The current Nissan Titan is only available with a 5.6-liter V-8 gas engine that's rated at 13/18 mpg city/highway and 15 mpg combined fuel economy.

Stay tuned for more information as it develops.

[Sources: Cummins, U.S. Department of Energy]

Update 2: May-19, 2011 10:15 pm Pacific

We originally reported that "LA-4" was the codename for the engine. That's incorrect. LA-4 refers to the EPA's Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, also known as "the city test." It represents city driving conditions and is used for light-duty vehicle testing.

Cummins says it plans to demonstrate the diesel in a truck chassis using the EPA's Federal Test Procedures (FTP) for emissions certification at Tier 2 Bin 5 levels – used by today's clean diesels – by December 2013 and at Tier 2 Bin 2 levels by September 2014.

LA-4 refers to EPA dyno test procedure for city driving conditions, FTP = EPA Federal Test Procedure, A/T = Aftertreatment (emissions cleaning technologies for soot, NOx, etc.)

We also heard back via e-mail from Nissan spokesman John Schilling after we called the company asking for comment.

"This isn't something we are going to discuss right now," Schilling said. "We don't discuss future product plans including Titan."

-------

Update 1: May-19, 2011 12:05 pm Pacific

In the first version of this post, we said the Cummins I-4 diesel would meet Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards. Cummins says it expects to meet Tier 2 Bin 2 emissions standards with the 2.8-liter engine.

Tier 2 Bin 2 is a stricter standard than the current Tier 2 Bin 5 rules required to qualify as a "clean diesel." Tier 2 Bin 2 standards are the same for internal combustion engines regardless of fuel type (gasoline or diesel). It's equivalent to California's super-ultra-low-emission-vehicle (SULEV) standard.

We've also confirmed with a Cummins spokesman that the 2.8-liter diesel is a derivative of the 2.8 that Cummins builds overseas.

:jg:

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS SHIT FOR YEARS!!!! Goddamnit someone finally figured it out.... Ford makes a goddamn V6 powerstroke that gets really good efficency for what it is, but for some reason they haven't put two and two together to put it in a 1/2 ton application.

ALSO:
The overseas 3.8-liter is rated at 168 horsepower and 443 pounds-feet of torque.

:riski:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS SHIT FOR YEARS!!!! Goddamnit someone finally figured it out.... Ford makes a goddamn V6 powerstroke that gets really good efficency for what it is, but for some reason they haven't put two and two together to put it in a 1/2 ton application.

ALSO:

:riski:

1998-2011 Rangers in other markets are identical to ours in the US except they offer a 4 door version, and a 4 cyl powerstroke IIRC, 2.8 Turbodiesel.

But that diesel in this application would be a blatant attack at the sprinter which has no competition (GM/Ford cargo van's aren't offered in the same 'high top' configurations, and are tremendously expensive with a diesel, while I see these sell for sub 30K with the big gasser, and may be the same, if not cheaper with a diesel)

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
1998-2011 Rangers in other markets are identical to ours in the US except they offer a 4 door version, and a 4 cyl powerstroke IIRC, 2.8 Turbodiesel.

But that diesel in this application would be a blatant attack at the sprinter which has no competition (GM/Ford cargo van's aren't offered in the same 'high top' configurations, and are tremendously expensive with a diesel, while I see these sell for sub 30K with the big gasser, and may be the same, if not cheaper with a diesel)

Exactly why I hate domestic manufacturers for not bringing awesome cars that we make to our own market..... I'd rock the shit out of a 5 speed ranger with a powerstroke.

I can see that competition with the Sprinter would be good. Ford has practically beat out all the other MFR's with the E-series, which I can not knock in the SLIGHTEST, but there's no real competition for vans that notch above a typical 1500-3500 chassis van. MB/Chrysler has a good thing going with the sprinters, but I could see these things coming in to their own in the utility segment.

My thought is that the motor will eventually replace the 5.6 (which is a dog shit motor anyways, and tend to blow up around 60k miles :rofl: )

If it's being developed for the Titans as well, I just hope that the domestic MFR's who already have the full size truck market cornered in the US step up to the plate and jump on board with this, seeing as they already have small displacment diesel engines in box trucks and other applications. (V6 powerstroke I referred to in previous post is from Ford's cab-over box truck line)

Might I add, Chevy Cruze to get Diesel for 2012= Winning.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Exactly why I hate domestic manufacturers for not bringing awesome cars that we make to our own market..... I'd rock the shit out of a 5 speed ranger with a powerstroke.

I can see that competition with the Sprinter would be good. Ford has practically beat out all the other MFR's with the E-series, which I can not knock in the SLIGHTEST, but there's no real competition for vans that notch above a typical 1500-3500 chassis van. MB/Chrysler has a good thing going with the sprinters, but I could see these things coming in to their own in the utility segment.

My thought is that the motor will eventually replace the 5.6 (which is a dog shit motor anyways, and tend to blow up around 60k miles :rofl: )

If it's being developed for the Titans as well, I just hope that the domestic MFR's who already have the full size truck market cornered in the US step up to the plate and jump on board with this, seeing as they already have small displacment diesel engines in box trucks and other applications. (V6 powerstroke I referred to in previous post is from Ford's cab-over box truck line)

Might I add, Chevy Cruze to get Diesel for 2012= Winning.

Ford is really banking on the EcoBoost lineup in their small cars and the F-150, I don't think ford has any desire/need to offer a small diesel in anything state-side since the ranger is defunct, the F-150 has the Fuel miser model, and the Ecoboost, while the small cars are getting better/smaller engines. I haven't even heard a murmer of Ford selling a compact diesel anything in the US.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Thats great that a small diesel will be coming soon but it just seems dumb that they didnt just offer them with it in the first place. Other countries have harsher EPA restrictions with diesels but they still dont bring them here.

What pisses me off the most is GM cancelling the baby V6 duramax

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Thats great that a small diesel will be coming soon but it just seems dumb that they didnt just offer them with it in the first place. Other countries have harsher EPA restrictions with diesels but they still dont bring them here.

What pisses me off the most is GM cancelling the baby V6 duramax

Diesels have a Stigma with them, Black soot, clattery, the people who can afford a new diesel are old enough to think of diesels when they tried to enter the market in the late 80's early 90's, and how horrid those were. (no offense to the older members hear, but the non-gear heads over the age of 30 I'm sure think about diesel trucks and the nasty clattery early VW diesels and things of the like that were around in their childhood.

the people most interested in a diesel commuter probably couldn't afford one.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Those pictures are really misleading. They should have another vehicle their to give some sort of scale. The "small" one is easily the size of a large conversion van.

As for diesels, I remember my dad had an 84' Maxima Diesel. It was loud and slow. It rocked 89hp and 125ft/lbs. We used to have a trailer for the summer up at a "resort" in Volo and they had a big hill that the Maxima couldn't get up unless it got a running start.

In completely unrelated, though semi-related news, the Maxima had a speaking door chime that told you which door was open, if your fuel was low, that your parking brake was engaged, etc. How did they accomplish this magnificent feat in the pre-digital recording era? Phonograph. The car had tiny records in it with a stylus that dropped on precisely the right point of the record to play any particular message. No shit...

http://jalopnik.com/5289581/datsun-voice-warning-phonograph-mystery-solved-it-talks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info