ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Hey guys,

So I'm lookin for some input on a good bike to get comfortable with and that I can learn the ropes on? My experience riding a bike consists of flipping through 21 gears while I go up and down hills, if that tells you anything.

I've wanted one for a while just not even sure on where to look or what I'm looking at when it comes to them.

Thanks in advance.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I loved my Katana for a starter bike. I went with the 600 and eventually upgraded to the 750 but you could just as easily go 750 as a first bike. It's heavy enough that you actually have to learn to ride properly and it allows you to either ride it like a rocket or sit up and "tour".

It's not a full sport bike but it was still fast as hell. I rode on a friend's R6 and just about ended myself.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
It's heavy enough that you actually have to learn to ride properly and it allows you to either ride it like a rocket or sit up and "tour".

So, the heavier the better? And whats the main difference between a 600 and a 750? Is the 750 a significant increase from the 600?

Krang

Snozberries
Jul 12, 2009
I got a dual sport, and I'd do it again. Fun to ride, handles being dumped pretty easily, good MPG, simple to work on and cheap parts. My KLR is going to be coming up for sale soon with having picked up another bike, but probably not for a few months. . . plus being in AZ there are tons of trails out that way you can take them out on.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So, the heavier the better? And whats the main difference between a 600 and a 750? Is the 750 a significant increase from the 600?
No, not necessarily. It's just more cumbersome when you're slow so you're forced to ride properly. At least that's how I saw it.

The only difference I noticed was that the 750 had a lot more usable torque. The 600 was slow off the line and then wound up while the 750 had power right off the line.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
A 600cc bike is a good starter bike,but sooner or later,you want more power!!
I would just go with a 750 and its pretty much same weight as a "6" and more power.

Are you gonna take a motorcycle class for class M license?

HIGHLY recommended. Even if you have ridden in the past, and could pass the test at the DMV, its a great course, and you can take your test right then. The one I went to had 2 different kinds of Yamaha dual sports, and 2 or 3 starter cruiser bikes (Shadow, Boulevard, and something else)

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I'm not into the sport bike scene, but I got a used 07 Harley sportster 1200 as my first bike. I'd buy one used thats in really good shape this way if you drop it or decide to upgrade it's not as big of a deal as a brand new bike. Make sure you bring someone that knows bikes pretty well to check it out.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I second the "take the class" comment. It's cheap and well worth the money. Also don't think that riding in groups is easier than riding by yourself. It's easier to learn at a slow pace than trying to keep up with a pack. If you ride with one or two buddies that are willing to take it slow then that isn't too bad.

Krash7051

Addict
Jan 20, 2011
2 very important things.

1. Enroll in a MSF course immediately. They should provide a motorcycle for you to learn and do the course on. The course will cover everything and should be required for every rider in my opinion. It will also save on your insurance, depending on your age and riding experience it's going to be pretty high for a while.

2. Buy gear, lots of gear. A helmet is not enough, I would highly recommend investing in a good jacket, gloves, heavy duty boots as well.

As far as a good starter bike is concerned. I am NOT a fan of GSXR's. However, the newer ones have 3 different tune settings so you can get a 750 and ride at 50% power, 75% power, or 100% power. So not only can you tune it down to learn and not kill yourself, but you can also save on gas as well.

Make sure you ride with people who know that you're a new rider and aren't going to leave you or push you beyond your skill set.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Kawasaki ZZ600, CBR600 (old steel frame), Suzuki GS 500 or SV650...all decent starter bikes that won't cost a lot. Don't bother trying to be fancy, because at some point or another it'll get some scrapes...any in that lot won't cost much, and are still slow enough to be safe.

I didn't take a class, it's not hard to teach yourself. The safety class is good to remind you that 90% of the cars either don't see you, or respect your place on the road. I would highly suggest reading "A twist of the wrist 1 & 2" Very good insight in the physics of your actions on a bike and easy reading.

NitemareZX

Formerly NITEMARE T/A
Mar 29, 2011
Ok I was kidding but really.....600's seem good bikes as long as you have self control. Everyone always says dont get a rocket as a first bike or dont buy a kid a fast car. Its about the person and their self control more than anything. When I finally do get a bike (after riding lots of my friends and telling myself I need one forever now) it will be a used 600, that way its fast enough to have some fun and maybe track it but still not insane and I wont freak out if I drop it.

To put in perspective though how fast a 600 is. A friend here in AZ had a 08 gsxr 600 he let me ride one day. I rode it for about 45 minutes (and I have been on many bikes and grew up riding so I wasnt just being dumb with not expierence) and I took it down a big straight backroad. I believe I was in second or third and went wot, shifted rolled on again looked down and was going 130 in NO TIME! 600's are no joke and by no means slow just remember that.

Ivan Rajic

Sep 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Ivan
Get what you like and can afford. Then have some self control. Simple as that.

Agree 100%. If you're an idiot you'll get what's coming to you whether you get a 250 or a 1000. The only reason a smaller bike is better to start with is that it's much easier to control due to weight and not as much power available to screw up with. Plus it's much harder to drop a 250 due to it's weight, but on the other hand it's "easier" to drop a $1500 250 over a nice shiny 600+.

I started on an 07 Kawi ZZR600600 and had no issues at all. Never fell, never had a close call and never dropped it. At the same time though, I always ride well within my limits and don't act stupid.

As ilikeMTB said, it's all about self control. I know for a fact I could've started with a zx14 and still had the same experience.

As for gear, I'd highly suggest buying everything... helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots. You're so much more comfortable and relaxed knowing you're well protected, just don't get too comfortable.

Good luck man.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info