Addict
Feb 17, 2011
So my wife needs a new DD. We are looking for some of the following items:

1. AWD or 4x4
2. Good looking (sporty?)
3. Good rear seat leg room.
4. 4 door
5. Decent fuel economy

We looked at the new Kia Sportage, Nice but felt a little cheap. Looked at the Flex, but I would never drive it. We looked at an A4 but it was small. We really liked a A3 with RS badging and TDI, but it doesn't come quattro. We also looked at a WRX, but the back seat is ridiculous.

We also looked at a Subaru Legacy and liked that the most so far. I personally liked the M56x we drove, but she thought it was too expensive with kids destroying the back seat.

Anything I might be missing?

Looking to spend around 30k. No rush either.

Thanks for the help.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Wow you're all over the place :rofl:

If you like the Legacy, check out the 2010/2011 Outback. Same thing on the inside but as a wagon with a little more ground clearance and cargo room. 22/29 mpg with CVT, standard AWD and four-cylinder.

Won't find much else that's AWD and gets that good gas mileage other than a hybrid. Plus Subaru's AWD is badass in the snow. Less clunky than a FWD-biased system like the CR-V and is very seamless and effective.

If you can take a marginal hit with gas mileage, the Equinox is very nice on the inside. It rides solid, smooth and quiet. CR-V is a safe bet and also nice on the inside, but a little loud on the highway and even with the more powerful engine recently added still feels sluggish.

And if you want something really sporty, check the Mini Cooper Countryman S. Just gave one back and it drives very much like the Cooper, though a little softened. Not by much. It's still crazy stiff, loud and handles well. Not very nice on rough roads, however. Countryman is only a four seater.

Malakaone

Addict
Feb 17, 2011
^^ thanks Bru. I came to the same realization. We are all over the place since the requirements are AWD and roomy, but nothing huge like an F150 for her. We lookedbat the Outback, but she liked the Legacy more.

Now the question is....do we get the base engine or the 2.5. I heard (Car & Driver?) the 2.5 needs some refinement.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Base engine is the 2.5 170 hp four-banger in the Outback. With CVT it's a little buzzy and does feel rough. The only other engine is the optional 256-hp 3.6-liter, which is powerful but still a little meh as far as refinement. The Legacy can come with those two options as well as the turbo engine. Turbo is my fav in the Legacy, but is premium gas.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
New A4 is fuel efficient but as you discovered, small on the inside even though it grew in this generation. Q5 is a nice small SUV, but also small in the second row and starts above $35k new.

Acura TL is big and the SH-AWD models are awesome. They are $38k + new but I'm not familiar with used pricing.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
No prob dude. The best thing you can do is just go out and drive them! I can tell you what's out there and my experience with all of these cars but it doesn't mean squat if the significant other doesn't like the way it looks or you don't fit in it.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
What about a Ford Edge of Lincoln MKX?

My parents have an awd MKX and it's plenty roomy, awd system is great (got me through the blizzard at midnight that night!), and decent on mpg's. I think ours get's around low to mid 20's around town and I don't know about hwy...

herb-chambers-2011-Ford-Edge_1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info