Good place to get a Manual Transmission rebuilt/repaired 97 explorer

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just looking to help a bud out, Owner of my old explorer sport (Close personal friend, has owned it for over a year now) Busted the fork inside the trans it sounds like, *Truck can do 1-2, can't do 3/4, sometimes can do 4/5*

He is either looking to get it fixed and then sell it, or I will buy it off him, fix it, and go back to daily driving it over my 4X4 ranger. I bought it off the original owner, and this was its second winter up here (Was a FL truck originally)

He is a ASE Tech, and we can pull the transmission easily enough and deliver it to a shop to be rebuilt or repaired. This is an M5OD-R1 transmission (Mazda, 5 speed, over drive, Revision 1)

Suggestions? Or anyone here willing to take a crack at repairing it?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Why doesn't he do it? Or is he a jiffy lube type tech?

Doesn't have a good press, which is more or less needed for manual rebuilds. He also complained that he doesn't like dealing with manual transmissions, and rather deal with the clearances of rebuilding an auto... I think that's bogus, but I haven't rebuilt a transmission so I have no idea :dunno:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
why not just pull one out of a yard?

EXTREMELY uncommon to find a 96-01 explorer with the 4.0 OHV Motor with 5spd trans and only 2wd, only other thing compatable is the 98-01 4.0 OHV Ranger with a 2wd 5 speed, which is just as hard to come by.

Plenty of 4 cylinder 5 speed rangers, and plenty of automatic explorers.

Honestly, this explorer is the first one I've ever seen with the 5 speed in the 95-01 body style.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Any other suggestions for local to Naperville/Lisle/Woodridge/Etc?

Call beglers in wilmington 8154765107 , they rebuilt my trans for the pacer and it cost me $358 , might be a bit of hike for u guys but these guys know their shit, and fyi their secretary sucks so it may take take a few calls to get an answer

Inspection fee *aka tear down/rebuild for the transmission* is $575 from them + the cost of parts :(

can anyone check what the book time is supposed to be for the R+R as well as the Trans?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info