Need opinions on new vehicle

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
Vehicle is not for me. Friend here at work is looking for something new that's $26,000 or less.

Needs to get good gas mileage and have room to carry stuff around. So some kind of small SUV or cross over? I don't know anything about what's out there these days. I don't think it matter what brand it is. Something reliable at least.

Gas mileage and space are the main factors in this purchase from the sounds of it.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Does he want to carry passengers or just cargo? All of these have average or above reliability and good gas mileage for the class.

Outback is always a good choice but only seats five. Standard AWD and it's big on the inside. 22/29 mpg.

Kia Sorento has the big warranty and 21/29 mpg with FWD. Also good sized on the inside with room for seven with optional third row.

Chevrolet Equinox is on the smaller side as far as cargo but is really solid, quiet on the highway and has gas mileage of 22/32. Seats five.

They're classified as Cars.com Best Bets because of their gas mileage, safety and reliability ratings. My choice would be the Outback because it's lower to the ground and has an easy cargo load-in height. Would be better if he is always lugging stuff in and out of the cargo area.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
2010_ford_flex.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0t (turbo). The best car you will find in that price range. PLENTY of space, loaded with options, 274hp, 35mpg, damn good looking car, right around 26k. For what he's looking for it's perfect imo.

I did research into the 2.0T and there is some sort of engineering flaw present in the 2011's that makes the car pull to the left. I went on a forum and there was a 45+ pg thread of owners discussing it.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I did research into the 2.0T and there is some sort of engineering flaw present in the 2011's that makes the car pull to the left. I went on a forum and there was a 45+ pg thread of owners discussing it.

Really? That's unfortunate, such an awesome car. Is it something a recall could fix or is it a serious flaw in the design of the frame or something?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Well to the op, if the turbo models have an issue, check out the regular sonata limited. Same car, just minus the engineering flaw and change the 276hp to I think 220hp. You also take the car down to 24k I think. I test drove one and loved it. I would owned one right now if I didn't decide I have no need for a brand new car right now.

new or used VW Tiguan, Jetta Sportwagen, 4dr GTI. all can be had new for under 26K. Roomy, with plenty of storage and optional roof rack for the Jetta and GTI.

VW is hella expensive to fix out of warraanty. You might as well own a Merecedes at that point. And WW has quality issues, big time! I don't follow VW that close, but did they ever sort out engine oiling issues on a lot of their 4 bangers?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info