Electronic vs. Manual boost controllers

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Looking to get a boost controller here in a bit. I have had minimal experience with boost controllers, only used a manual. The manual controllers seem to be more of a guess and a bit less predictable than what I like. I never ran into boost spikes, but from what I have read it is possible.

I know electronic controllers are quite a bit more expensive, but is it worth the cost? Seem to market less boost spikes and more controll over boost levels. I know there are some electronic controllers that will retard boost a certain amount of time, or are at least more involved than set your boost level and go and I prolly wouldn't need that much BS. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Thanks.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I picked up one of those aem tru boost controllers from sinister drag designs on this board for a screaming price. Check with them for a deal.

I was going to go manual, but it sounds like a pita to adjust, plus you can't be as sneaky and up your boost at the press of a button like you can with the electric controllers

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
and also FWIW, i run the one Matt M sells on Stattama.com (also found on ebay for $20 cheaper) on the blue car, no boost spikes, and the other one I run was made by James (turbocharged3800) and also has no boost spikes. I think he said it costs less than $15 to make, and he knows a site where it explains how to put it together. Works like a damn charm and is reliable. I set it to 11psi and it stays at 11psi. IMO, it's better than the one Matt M offers. And no James, you can't have it back :rofl:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Meh, how often do you honestly change boost? A manual is FTW, you don't want a boost controller that is nicer than the turbo kit itself do you? :rofl:

Haha, I agree on that one...but really everything else I bought for this car is nicer than the car so I am used to it.

I was really tossing around the idea for track use. It would take all the guesswork out of it and would be easily changed going from street to track. I wasn't excited about the prices of the electronic ones though. this AEM one is at least somewhat affordable. Especially since I am passing on re-working my cooling system this year.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yep. I have the same thing myself. :) Works like a charm. Setup is a bit fussy but once you get the hang of it, its really not bad at all.

Nice, I like that b/c I can get rid of my current boost gauge. I am already going to have to custom make some pods with all these gauges. oil pressure, fuel pressue, 2 scan gauges, boost, and this if I get it. I just dashmounted the wideband

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Meh, how often do you honestly change boost? A manual is FTW, you don't want a boost controller that is nicer than the turbo kit itself do you? :rofl:

I think it all depends on the setup. I wasn't going to get one until I decided to go with a forged bottom end. If I was sitting at only 8lbs and couldn't push more than that, then i probably wouldn't go with a boost controller at all. Needless to say, I think my setup may requires some different boost levels and doing that at the push of a button is nice.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
If you want an older/cheaper unit the Greddy ebc's do the job and I find are pretty simple to setup.

I went from 9 psi to 15 psi using welding jets in the tubes. A year later I put in a Blitz I-color and once I had it tuned right I felt like boost came on a bit quicker. Plus I like having boost by speed and being able to set it to a low setting once spring/fall comes around.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info