TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
2010TDI035.jpg

from last summer:

2010TDI042.jpg

and yes, the tow vehicle/truck is a duramax (so we own 2 diesel cars PLUS I'm on the title for my mom's 2002 TDI Jetta.. lol)

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I'm just a hair under 10,000 miles right now so I haven't put that many miles on YET.

I've been really cautious about making sure I don't put in any biodiesel (a no-no for our clean diesel setup) and only buy fuel at BP or Meijer because they use 0% biodiesel.

My only complaint/issue was that my compass was wrong at delivery (fixed at dealership because it was mounted backwards at the factory apparently) along with some missing screws on the engine cover on the right side (also installed by my dealer).

I went in for the ECU Recall to get it reprogrammed along with my 1st oil change last year. It still stumbles sometimes but not as bad as before the ECU reprogram. I think it stumbles now more predictably with extreme temperature fluctuations between starts/stops along with if being shut down prematurely in the middle of it's regeneration cycle.

I also have the 2-dr so I had the recall to install the thicker padding for the door seals but otherwise I really have no complaints to be honest.

I love the torque... love the 44mpg average I get on my commute to/from work as well!

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I'm just a hair under 10,000 miles right now so I haven't put that many miles on YET.

I've been really cautious about making sure I don't put in any biodiesel (a no-no for our clean diesel setup) and only buy fuel at BP or Meijer because they use 0% biodiesel.

My only complaint/issue was that my compass was wrong at delivery (fixed at dealership because it was mounted backwards at the factory apparently) along with some missing screws on the engine cover on the right side (also installed by my dealer).

I went in for the ECU Recall to get it reprogrammed along with my 1st oil change last year. It still stumbles sometimes but not as bad as before the ECU reprogram. I think it stumbles now more predictably with extreme temperature fluctuations between starts/stops along with if being shut down prematurely in the middle of it's regeneration cycle.

I also have the 2-dr so I had the recall to install the thicker padding for the door seals but otherwise I really have no complaints to be honest.

I love the torque... love the 44mpg average I get on my commute to/from work as well!

No problems with mine, have a little over 16k. That banks system is pretty sweet. His test car is nice too, can't wait till all the stuff on it is released for public consumption.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
nice

Keep us updated

BUT I will be selling my TDI for what I paid for it if things go as crazy as predicted this summer ;) ...and then I'll probably buy the 2012 Golf R :D

The resale value is really good on TDIs. And you usually see ones with 100+k miles on them. I've had mine a year and a half, but i don't foresee myself selling it anytime in the next 5 years.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
I had excellent resale on my 2004 R32 as well... I bought it brand new and sold it 5.5 years later for $21,000 and then paid $25,000 for my TDI.

I will probably keep the TDI for 4 or 5 years UNLESS I can get $25k for it this summer due to insane demand ;)

I'm too emotionally invested in my car (first new car) to sell before the last check goes out.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Ah.. okay

This isn't my first new car and isn't as rare as the R32 was (that one I kept over 5 years and money talked when I sold it because it allowed me to get into this TDI for very little extra out of my pocket!)

..but my TDI is paid off so it would make it easy to sell if demand goes nuts this summer ;) ...but I'm just as content/happy keeping it for a while so either way is a win-win to me!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
^ People panic and just react without even doing the math!

I have to laugh at people who sell their big SUVs at a huge loss only to invest in something like a Prius with the end result costing them $10k to $25k EXTRA.. but if they actually did the math on how much fuel savings per year is, they come up with something between $800 and $3000 max a year in fuel savings.... so if you spent more than $6k to get OUT of your big SUV into a gas saver, where exactly are your savings?

Doesn't anyone do simple math any more?

Remember 2 years ago when gas prices went over $4 a gallon and big SUVs were $10k to $15k cheaper in the marketplace? People couldn't sell their Navigators and Escalades fast enough.... ...and they got exported to Russia (many of them anyway). I'm going to sit back and laugh if the same thing happens this summer!

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
I buy diesel for the same price as regular. i used to get 16-18mpg in my old PT, now i get 32+mpg city. The math speaks for itself on fuel savings and i needed to build my credit while also not having to fork over money to make repairs that were bound to happen on the PT.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I'm not disputing the savings in fuel per year.. what I'm saying is some people need to sit back and do the math to check if it is worth the switch is all.

If it costs you $16K to get out of your car/truck/suv and into a new TDI that will save you $1800 a year in fuel cost, it will take you a long time to make up that $16k (that is what I'm getting at is all)

For example, my R32 I got a whopping 20mpg average vs. the 40mpg with the TDI. I sold the R32 for $21,000 and got into the TDI for $25,000 (so it ultimately cost me $4000 to get out of my R32 and into the TDI)... and that $4000 is easily quickly made up in fuel savings.... much faster than someone who had to pay $16k to get out of their car and into a TDI....

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I buy diesel for the same price as regular. i used to get 16-18mpg in my old PT, now i get 32+mpg city. The math speaks for itself on fuel savings and i needed to build my credit while also not having to fork over money to make repairs that were bound to happen on the PT.

May I ask where you are able to buy diesel for the same price as regular? I buy only from Meijer or BP (no biodiesel additive) and both are charge the same price for Premium as Diesel. I have yet to find a 'less than 5% or no biodiesel' station that charges the same for diesel as regular.

BTW: My 'savings' is interesting... It cost me $4000 to get into my TDI and the insurance was neutral (no change in price). I drive only 10,000miles a year on average on my primary daily driver (have other vehicles that get driven occasionally mixed in thus bringing down mileage on primary).

So to make it simple I break it down as 20mpg on my R32 vs. 40mpg on my TDI (mostly highway driving for my commute to/from work with less than 1 miles of 'city' driving to get onto/off the highway).

At $4.00 a gallon for either diesel or gasoline and 10,000 miles a year, (so 250 gallons to purchase or 500 gallons to purchase), my savings is really only $1000 a year so it will take me 4 years to 'break even' before starting to save money.

Mind you I factored in other things like having 3 years free maintenance along with bumper to bumper warranty so my overall cost of ownership is going to be less anyway PLUS I enjoy having this newer car.

Its just funny that so many people are quick to 'justify' a purchase without doing the math. It would have been really stupid of me to from a financial perspective to do this purchase if it cost me $10,000 to get out of one vehicle and into this TDI though and I couldn't of used the 'saving money on fuel' excuse very easily... lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info