Tips to knock the price down on the car I'm gonna buy

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
This is my first time dealing with actual used car salesmen not a private party with being a used vehicle so it's a bit intimating. The vehicle I'm looking at purchasing is a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 with 69,000 miles on it for $10,990. I thought this was a pretty fantastic deal for the car and after looking at the carfax it was in an accident (doesn't say specific location). Anyways car has a clean title. Unfortunately the website has no pictures of the car, and it's down by Bloomington, IL another problem it is a 2 and a half hour drive from Northwest Indiana. The dealer lost the keys and I'm the first on the list to purchase the car just curious if you have any tips maybe to get the price down. Anything can help if I can pay less a month. Thanks in advance Jamie,

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/06/16/how-to-negotiate-for-a-used-car/

And remember no matter how many times they claim they're barely making money or losing money blah blah blah; they're lying.

Also be prepared to waste 5 hours looking at a junk car. I'm willing to bet it's not very nice.

I hate customers like you. You know there are still a couple honest places out there right? If I know someone is driving out of their way to see a car I tell them every little thing I can down to a light in the glove box being out before they leave the house, and if someone makes makes me an offer and I say this is how much I paid and I'd lose money on that deal, I mean it. I'm usually happy to pull up my back end accounting program and show them exactly how much is in that car. Oh, and if someone walks away, I sure as hell do NOT call them ten minutes later. If someone is a dick like that I make it clear that I could care less if they buy or not and let them walk away without a word. I'd rather sell it to someone else, and probably give them a much better deal that I would have given the other guy for not being an asshole. Just make sure the place is legit, and don't ask for this guy.
images

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
So they have no pictures, lost the keys, and the car has been in an accident? WTF? Why are you even considering this? Sounds like you're about to get your ass handed to you on a plate by another scummy dealer. just sayin.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
So they have no pictures, lost the keys, and the car has been in an accident? WTF? Why are you even considering this? Sounds like you're about to get your ass handed to you on a plate by another scummy dealer. just sayin.

This does sound a little shady though honestly. Just be a good judge of character when you get there and if the guys don't seem honest walk away.

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
My friend used to be a body man, and he showed me the basics of how tell of a car is wrecked (mostly look for more orange peel in paint on certain panels etc) also I'm going to be looking at the fit and finish. If it looks like MAACO painted it I might spend a little more on one with no accident record. I will let you know how it goes. The only thing I find interesting here is the fact that the car is already at such a low price. I feel like I should be able to walk out of the dealer for around $10,250.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I hate customers like you. You know there are still a couple honest places out there right? If I know someone is driving out of their way to see a car I tell them every little thing I can down to a light in the glove box being out before they leave the house, and if someone makes makes me an offer and I say this is how much I paid and I'd lose money on that deal, I mean it. I'm usually happy to pull up my back end accounting program and show them exactly how much is in that car. Oh, and if someone walks away, I sure as hell do NOT call them ten minutes later. If someone is a dick like that I make it clear that I could care less if they buy or not and let them walk away without a word. I'd rather sell it to someone else, and probably give them a much better deal that I would have given the other guy for not being an asshole. Just make sure the place is legit, and don't ask for this guy.
images

I don't act this way towards every used car dealer but you have to admit a lot of them are shady and this place doesn't sound like a great place to buy a car.

I just bought a used civic from continental motors and they were great to deal with on the sales end.

Where you work?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I don't act this way towards every used car dealer but you have to admit a lot of them are shady and this place doesn't sound like a great place to buy a car.

I just bought a used civic from continental motors and they were great to deal with on the sales end.

Where you work?

Yeah I agree with you, sorry if I came off like a dick there. There are a lot of shady places out there, hell, theres a place that's a 30 second drive from mine that's like that. Yeah the guys at continental are pretty good guys, as well as motor werks if you're ever looking in the higher end range. And yeah, accident history isn't a big deal as long as there's no frame work or anything crazy, but pile that up with losing the keys and especially no pics this place sounds pretty shady. I work at a place up in Lake in the Hills.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
My friend used to be a body man, and he showed me the basics of how tell of a car is wrecked (mostly look for more orange peel in paint on certain panels etc) also I'm going to be looking at the fit and finish. If it looks like MAACO painted it I might spend a little more on one with no accident record. I will let you know how it goes. The only thing I find interesting here is the fact that the car is already at such a low price. I feel like I should be able to walk out of the dealer for around $10,250.

If the car is priced real low there's usually 3 possible reasons:

A) They got lucky and bought it cheap, so they're listing it cheap for a quick sale. This is good because that means there's good negotiating room on the already cheap price.

B) They've had the car for awhile and want to blow it out. Not too likely because there's not even pics yet.

C) There's something wrong with it that they're not telling you, or the accident caused frame damage. I don't mind accidents, rebuilt titles, whatever, as long as there's no frame work. Usually the car is never the same after that.

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
Well I checked the carfax and the car was driven locally in the same town as the dealer. So it could have been a trade in, or maybe someone at the dealer owned the vehicle who knows. I think later today we are gonna go take the drive and see what this is all about. One thing I noticed interesting about this car is they have a plastic radiator support, and because of that maybe that's a contributing factor in why these cars don't get totalled out that easy in a front end collision. IDK

ls6velless454

Regular
Jan 19, 2010
10/08/2007 5 Pearl Automotive Group
Peoria, IL
309-643-5866
www.pearlautomotivegroup.com
ww.pearlautomotiveg
roup.com Battery/charging system checked
Brakes checked
Pre-delivery inspection completed
11/27/2007 118 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Vehicle sold
12/14/2007 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bloomington, IL
Title #X7348692271 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
01/23/2008 3,859 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Maintenance inspection completed
Battery/charging system checked
Brakes checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
03/31/2008 8,200 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Tire condition and pressure checked
Brakes checked
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
07/27/2008 Illinois
Damage Report Accident reported
09/30/2008 16,571 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
Two wheel alignment performed
Brakes checked
12/02/2008 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bloomington, IL Registration issued or renewed
12/30/2008 23,254 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
Brakes checked
02/12/2009 26,011 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Vehicle serviced
05/01/2009 32,847 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Maintenance inspection completed
09/03/2009 43,214 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Maintenance inspection completed
12/31/2009 43,389 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Battery/charging system checked
Brakes checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
06/02/2010 Sam Leman Motors
Bloomington, IL
309-662-5000
www.samleman.com Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
07/01/2010 61,500 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bloomington, IL
Title #X0182609056 Title issued or updated
Correction to record
Loan or lien reported
08/13/2010 68,357 Sud's Motor
Normal, IL
309-454-1101
www.sudsmotors.com Vehicle offered for sale
09/07/2010 68,422 Auto Auction
Illinois Vehicle offered for sale

* Millions of used vehicles are bought and sold at auction every year.

10/06/2010 Auto Auction
Illinois Sold at auction
10/20/2010 Auto Auction
Illinois Sold at auction
03/26/2011 Mazda Motor of America, Inc. No recalls open for repair

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Carfax doesn't look bad. I'd go down and check the guys out, if they seem like decent people give it another shot, if not at least you wasted time on a Saturday and not during a work week. We had a Speed 6 in here once, new-ish mazdas seem to be pretty good runners. Hopefully that car doesn't have the RFID key or they'll be handing mazda $250 for a new one. I still think you should ask them to email you a couple quick pics first though.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Carfax doesn't look bad. I'd go down and check the guys out, if they seem like decent people give it another shot, if not at least you wasted time on a Saturday and not during a work week. We had a Speed 6 in here once, new-ish mazdas seem to be pretty good runners. Hopefully that car doesn't have the RFID key or they'll be handing mazda $250 for a new one. I still think you should ask them to email you a couple quick pics first though.

What dealership you work for GT?

That carfax looks pretty run of the mill to me as well. Accidents happen, if I good shop did the work, then fuck it. But, I will say this, if you'r going to be trading that car in, I would probably give you bottom of the barrel MMR on it just because of the carfax. With that said, Ask them to throw it up on a rack for you and inspect all the structural points, see if welds have been fucked with, etc.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
The fact that they "lost" the key is a BIG hint that something is wrong. I wouldn't even consider that drive if they don't send you pictures first and are able to produce a key immediately in case you want to purchase it then and there. Just be careful and good luck!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The fact that they "lost" the key is a BIG hint that something is wrong. I wouldn't even consider that drive if they don't send you pictures first and are able to produce a key immediately in case you want to purchase it then and there. Just be careful and good luck!

I was waiting for someone to say that.

The accident is back from 2008, the first owner continued driving it for nearly 2 years before something else happened, so I wouldn't even be really 'worried' about that accident, I'd be more worried about why the previous owner no longer owns it....

Lost key signifies one of several things, Primarily that this was an auction car that was probably in an accident or repossession. The carfax shows one owner, and then boom, auction. Typically when a car gets traded in to a dealer, it is reported, ditto for it if is sold privately as obviously there is a new owner. This screams insurance, or repossession.

Dealerships don't just 'loose' keys, especially if it was a trade in, so I'd ask them why/how they lost the keys while you are there to see if you get a BS story...

They've had the car since 8/2010 it looks like in the carfax report earlier in this thread... How can they not have the keys for 7 months...

This really sounds like they bought the car damaged or repo'ed at auction, and just got it repaired recently (Or have been waiting on a rebuilt title etc*It says the title got corrected, which is VERY unusual for a one owner car to my understanding) The 'lost keys' story could be just them stalling for the rebuilt title, or additional repairs, or it could be legitimate that they didn't get keys at the auction when the got the car (Probably for a screaming deal), but them being truely 'lost' is a bullshit excuse.... Aside from them stalling on repairs, they should have no excuse for not having pictures of the car since they bought it IMO. cars that are 'deals' like that, rarely stay on the lots long, even if they are junk.

I would steer clear of that car honestly :( KBB is still north of 17K for dealer retail for that car with no options selected and even with the higher miles. "If its too good to be true, it often is" at 10-11K that price sounds about dead on for a rebuilt title.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info