$300 trans install

Just an Idea out on the table.

I had a local place quote me 300 for a trans install.

Should I just save the money and invite a bunch of you fine people over my house and have a transmission install party? Basically just buy 300 bucks worth of beer pizza chips hot dogs hamburgs invite a bunch of people over and after about 2 hours of work fuck off.

What do you guys think?

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Just an Idea out on the table.

I had a local place quote me 300 for a trans install.

Should I just save the money and invite a bunch of you fine people over my house and have a transmission install party? Basically just buy 300 bucks worth of beer pizza chips hot dogs hamburgs invite a bunch of people over and after about 2 hours of work fuck off.

What do you guys think?

what kinda trans? 4l60e? t56?

got a trans jack?

got a garage?

its not that hard. you should be able to do it yourself if you take your time.

Yea I got a garage
I've dropped the trans twice now once for the converter then again for the shift kit.
Oh yea no trans jack but I have someone who will let me borrow his for the day or so.

I just hate doing the trans by myself, Unless you have a lift it's hard on your back.

Yea I found a place in Addison (TSI) they build drag racing transmissions. He normally makes trans that can hold 1500HP or better. This guy is just right up the street from me so it's convenient.

Told me 1600 for a fully built trans, 2000 if he does everything. 300 install 100 for red line

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I owe you some help since you helped with my headers so im in. I have pulled my 4l60e and trans case outa my truck 3 times now so I have some experience with them. The hardest part is going to be getting the car high enough and the top bolts on the bell housing. Besides that it should be pretty quick with the right tools.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Yea I got a garage
I've dropped the trans twice now once for the converter then again for the shift kit.
Oh yea no trans jack but I have someone who will let me borrow his for the day or so.

I just hate doing the trans by myself, Unless you have a lift it's hard on your back.

Yea I found a place in Addison (TSI) they build drag racing transmissions. He normally makes trans that can hold 1500HP or better. This guy is just right up the street from me so it's convenient.

Told me 1600 for a fully built trans, 2000 if he does everything. 300 install 100 for red line

old man don!!!! he is the shit.

old man don!!!! he is the shit.

yea old man don.

He's super cool

No warranty, as far as I know, I did not ask, I will before I give him a credit card. I did not think it was appropriate to ask. I did not want to look like a dick.

Kinda like meeting a fine ass chick in a bar and before you get to know her you ask her if she has crabs, dick head move, ya know.

The guy makes bad ass transmissions for drag race cars, to a point you have to give him a little credit.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
yea old man don.

He's super cool

No warranty, as far as I know, I did not ask, I will before I give him a credit card. I did not think it was appropriate to ask. I did not want to look like a dick.

Kinda like meeting a fine ass chick in a bar and before you get to know her you ask her if she has crabs, dick head move, ya know.

The guy makes bad ass transmissions for drag race cars, to a point you have to give him a little credit.

eh i'd rather be a dick than have mini lobsters crawling around on MY dick.

you get a 4l60e? th400?

i'm always down to help. guaranteed the hardest part is getting that exhaust loose.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

I see NO harm in asking about warranties on anything that costs me more than $100 brand new.... Just IMO.

eh i'd rather be a dick than have mini lobsters crawling around on MY dick.

you get a 4l60e? th400?

i'm always down to help. guaranteed the hardest part is getting that exhaust loose.

4L60e

The point is (or what I was going at) I'm not making a big deal out of it until I got the cash to back it up. An old pro knows when your talking shit, just shoot the shit get to know who he is and then talk turkey later.

To be honest I'm just looking for a good way to get some people together drink some beers and have some fun, ya dig.

To everyone who said they'd help:

You guys rock!

Yea once I get the proper cash rounded up I'll bring this up once again and make some plans.

Thanks again everyone

If your still going to spend $300 whether its installed professionally or in your own garage, I would pay the $300 to have it done professionally. Just my .02 :D

I've been professionally wrenching for about 15 years, A trans is easy, the only thing I've never done was totally rebuild the trans. I did a real nice wright-up step by step in a Trans-go HD3 shift kit. Got about 82 pictures bolt for bolt instructions.

I took the trans downstairs into my basement where it was clean and did the whole thing. Took me about 5 hours while documenting the whole procedure.

Here take a look:
Just the pictures are still on my photobucket page

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh308/carls2001ws6/transmission shift kit/

let me know what you think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info