Why won't my truck pump coolant?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I had this issue last year, and ended up 'solving' it buy just running with no thermostat... Engine got up to Operating temp, and never had any issues of running to cold or hot...

Everything is new (T-stat, water pump was new last season same problem back then, everything is sealed correctly, still doesn't seem to be getting a strong current of coolant past the Thermostat... I feel like I need to bleed the system, but am not finding anything regarding that in my Haynes manual.

On a side note, the radiator cap sits below the highest point of the radiator hose off the top of the engine, and sits at a slight back/forward angle, would either of these facts cause this kind of issue? Suggestions/Ideas/Etc?

The radiator has NOT been replaced, but I have no leaks, so I can't think of why I would need to replace it...?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
how long have you been running it trying to get the air out? dumping hot water in wont do much. the t-stat will close really quick...
pick up a spill free radiator funnel kit (can be had for $20), fill the system and hold the rpms at 2k RPMs until the air is bled out. that should make your radiator the highest point in the system.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i have a moroso in hose radiator cap piece

head gaskets installed incorrectly, radiator tubes clogged with debris/bits of rtv

helps to bleed it out by drilling a small hole in the t stat to allow air out more easily

Ran allllll last year with no T-stat, so I can't imagine the headgaskets were installed wrong from the factory (Fairly low mileage motor)

The thing to keep in mind is this is the same problem I had last year, so I don't think its anything 'new'.

Respond to my PM, I'll prbly buy the Moroso off you if it makes life easier, and We can maybe shift the radiator forward a bit etc...

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
you've never heard the saying "keep it simple stupid", have you....
he should concentrate on bleeding the air out before going after water pumps and headgaskets.:hsugh:

But James does have a good point, if it was not running correctly without the thermostat, it is probably not an air lock situation, even if the WP is correct, incorrect belt routing could cause issues, there are a lot of possibilities

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Maybe I didn't clarify...

I had this exact same issue last year, I 'gave up' and just ran with no T-stat, ran perfect the whole season. I want to run WITH a thermostat this year since it may see this winter, and it will ensure correct temps etc.

Water pump is the same, belt routing is the same, Only thing not the exact same about my ranger Vs a stock 5.0 explorer is radiator placement and the heater core hose being looped *Which the valve does anyways when its plumbed correctly*, So I strongly suspect Bikrboy/smug GXP are correct that the system is filled with air since I'm basically filling it 'bottom up'

I think filling it FROM the upper hose would deal with the air beyond a shadow of a doubt assuming it is an issue with air being in the system. In hind-sight, the heater core is fed by the T-state by-pass, so I could actually fill the system with the heater core hoses if I use a little funnel, but I'd prefer a permanent solution.

K0R3AN

I Love Lamp!
Apr 29, 2008
Denver, CO
ok, sounds very familiar to my problem. i had air in the cooling system, so first, check and see if the thermostat area is hot or cold. obviously, if its hot, remove the thermo and water check it. if not, take your coolant/water and dump it down the feed line. it may sound silly, but this fixed my problem. and explaining it is hard, so if it works and you are interested, shoot me a PM. lol

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Sounds like a blockage somewhere, if your running no thermostat and it reaches normal temprature seems like its a flow issue. could be the water pump as well, I understand its new but ive seen a few where the impeller bearings are quirky which cause a lack of flow. good luck

Reaching normal temp with no T-stat is not a surprise when you are running a V-8 with no Heater core and in a truck that has a smaller motor bay, and is extremely tight to begin with, otherwise I'd agree with you that even being able to reach normal temp is odd.

I will probably 'blast' everything out with one of those flush kits this week as well to ensure everything is clear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info