Cobalt Owners?

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I've had mine since June of 07, and I've loved it ever since. I bought it mainly on an impulse, but I did drive one before buying it. I never had the intentions of racing it when I bought it; hence me (Unlike SilentD) not caring about what it runs at the track.

Pros: Reguardless of what anyone else says; I love it for a DD. It handles really well, shifts softly, and the hydrolic clutch (Dunno how many cars now-a-day have it) is lovely, you barely have to touch it. I learned stick on this car, and my clutch slips a little under power because I abused it a bit when learning. It's really spacious in the fact that I've got some bigger friends...and they all fit in the car fine without bitching about being cramped. It's extremely easy to mod/do work on it yourself (besides the oil change, see cons)...I mean, except for our clutch (apparentaly it's an 8hr job), everything pretty much just comes right off and is easy to get to. It gets REALLY good gas mileage (Up to about 35mpg on the highway in the summer). Right now, I'm getting an average of about 23mpg and that's rarely being on the highways. (Maybe to go to the mall, or meets and whatnot.) For the price, it's pretty quick and all around a really good car.

Cons: Now you're going to do some reasearch I hope, and you're going to see A LOT, and let me re-iterate, A LOT of people complain about this, and that, and this...blah blah...I haven't had anything major go wrong with it so far, except for the sunroof bezel breaking (which was a piece of plastic, OHNOEZ). One thing I don't like about it is the sound of my exhaust, but that was my stupid fault lol. Also, the oil filter is a BITCH to get to...You need to use a 10 inch extension to get to it (or take the blower off, nothx). Other than that, I really can't think of anything else, except the stock pirellis being AMAZING (not) in the snow.

All in all, it's a really nice car, and I've loved it (aside from it being loud) since I got it. If you need to know anything else, gimme a pm, or just ask here. I know i'm not the best guy to talk to, but with some first hand experience I know what i'm talking about.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
hard to change the oil? are you nuts? this is one of the easiest oil changes from GM! i guess if the blower is still hot it would kinda suck, but we change oil on these all the time and they are almost as easy as a regular ecotec. the cost of the oil change is probally the worst thing. depending on the year, they can take up to 7 quarts of Mobil 1 (or any other oil meeting GM 4718-M requirements)

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Pros:

Very quick for the money... Excellent gas mileage/ per horsepower... (like the GTP) I get 23 city MPG and 33 highway MPG.. the car is rare (around these parts).. not everyone has one. the SS is TOTALLY different than the base model.. i have never ONCE seen a car in my entire life, where the base model is a night and day difference than the top model. Recaro race seats (only get the g85 package for the 05-06).. xm radio... great sound system

cons: Yes the oil filter is kinda hard to get to... to kill wheelhop you need a buch of vibration mods. the stock clutch sucks. axles snap if you have wheelhop. really hard to hit 12s. insurance is super high.

Last edited:

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
hard to change the oil? are you nuts? this is one of the easiest oil changes from GM! i guess if the blower is still hot it would kinda suck, but we change oil on these all the time and they are almost as easy as a regular ecotec. the cost of the oil change is probally the worst thing. depending on the year, they can take up to 7 quarts of Mobil 1 (or any other oil meeting GM 4718-M requirements)

Hard to change the oil is a relative comment. The Si is probably one of the worst cars to change oil on period. They wouldn't understand, but I do :bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info