Turbo Buick National Event, July 29-31, Columbus, OH

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
This would be cool to go to, even though I don't own a TR. I will someday.

On behalf of Sean Ryder and the rest of the Board of Directors of the Buick Performance Group, I officially invite you all as Buick owners, enthusiasts and spectators to our 2011 National Event July 29-31, 2011 at National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio. We have had our "reunion events" focus on the Gran Sport Stage 1, and the GSX. Now it is time to devout our attention to one of the fastest, most under-rated muscle cars of all time. The cars that in subdued colors, lacked the flare and tenacity of the Grand National, but had the same drive train and guts on the inside. The cars that ate Mustang 5.0s since their inception in 1986 and were the fastest American built car in the 1980s, and second only worldwide to the Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. The car that had to be eliminated b/c it upset Chevrolet corporate staff because it violated GM “policy” by being the fastest production car built by GM in 1986 and 1987, even faster than the Vette which was a “no-no” in those days. The car that 25 years later, with a simple turbo v6 and a few mods can eat modern day Shelby GT 500s, Camaro SS, Challengers and the likes of any production-built muscle car built today. Yes, ladies and gentlemen we are talking about the Turbo Regals, aka T Types, Turbo Ts, and the Turbo Limited.

In addition, 3 other engineers, synonymous with Buick Performance will be attending, bringing with them never before seen photos, documentation, materials, books, and articles showing the initial stages of testing, r and d work, racing and production which turned the 231 v6 from an oil puking 6 cylinder to a fire breather turbocharged and intercooled motor that became the power plant of choice not only in Grand Nationals and Turbo Regals, but TTAs, GNXs and became the forefather of the 4.3 block used in the Syclone and Typhoon. From its early history and initial builds to its Nascar heritage (hence the name Grand National), to its domination of the streets and tracks beginning in 1986 with added turbo charging and intercooling, these engineers will present to all Buick enthusiasts the rich history of the 231 v6 and the history of the Turbo Regal.

1. Dave Roland- GM Service Writer. Wrote all the service manuals for all the turbo regals, owned a t type brand new in 85, owns an 85 race car and 87 Turbo T. Has rare never before seen assembly manuals, documents and photos of the "G body cars" and some rare GNX and turbo regal photos.

2. Ron Yuile- took over as supervisor of the Turbo Group from 1986-87! He said he has several stories about the race between Buick and the Turbo 3.8 vs Chevrolet and the 350/305 engine for their Corvettes that he says TR enthusiasts will enjoy as well as other stories of the 3.8 engine development. Also has some rare stories about NASCAR and how Grand National came to be coined in name.

4. Ron Kociba- Was at Buick from 1967 through the late 90s. Instrumental in the early turbocharger years, also developed first prototype intercooled/turbocharged car prior to 1986 when the 86/87 were just about to be release. Also worked as head of Buick Motorsports when they terrorized Indy with their 3.8 turbo engines winning the Indy pole many years in a row. Also developed FWD Supercharged 3800s of late 90s and early 2000s and instrumental in getting Buick get the Grand National name for use in its production car and also some funny stories about the front spoiler with the GN/T Types being produced on the street for a NASCAR advantage! Good Story, I’ll let him tell it! Very technical guy about the turbo charger and super good guy! Hopefully will have some paperwork and documentation from the early days, as he is going to start hunting for it as we speak!

In addition, Mark Holder from Muscle Car Review who has been a staple at our events and always given great press coverage will be in attendance covering the event. High Performance Pontiac also stated they will cover the event as well.

In addition for our TTA aka Turbo Trans Am owners and enthusiasts, the following gurus will be there as well:

Scott Kelly was instrumental in the development and production of the 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am. Scott served as the Engineering Liaison between PAS and General Motors throughout the program as well as being responsible for the all of the Trans Ams used during the month of May 1989 including the 3 actual Pace Cars. After the Trans Am program Scott worked as the Service and Warranty administrator for the Anniversary Trans Am, Syclone, Typhoon, Sonoma GT as well as Natural Gas powered trucks that PAS produced until 1994.

Scott and his Wife Ann currently own a small automotive technical writing company name Kelly Automobile Technologies that specialized in vehicle proposals, technical papers and marketing materials. Ann and Scott met under the hood of a prototype 20th Anniversary Trans Am in 1988 as Ann was tasked by Pontiac to develop the Owner’s Manual Supplement for the car.

Also Billy Briggs, the prototype engine builder of the TTA will be there as well.

******UPDATE AS OF 2-5-11

One more guest Wayne Sherman who was one of 7 people allocated from Flint from Buick to help with the TTA and was one of the final people to carry out the legacy of the Buick Grand National will be in attendance. We are also in contact with several other people who did everything from set up the DEA/FBI Turbo Regals, Computer Programming, AE Piston Design, 3.8 Prototype Engine Builder and several others directly involved with different facets of the TTA and Turbo Regals! Will be updated as we talk with more guests and attempt to confirm their attendance for the event.

All speeches and presentations by our guests will be in the luxurious Jegs Suite track side. A/c and a lot of room, perfect for the humid July Ohio days.

1. As announced, High Performance Pontiac and Muscle Car Review will be covering the event.
2. Shootout between TTA vs T Types of various types ie bone stock, slightly modified, all out race cars, etc. will take place at the event and may garner magazine coverage. Once and for all a final showdown to see who truly is the baddest of the bad.
3. First time ever all these Buick and Pontiac engineers involved with the T-Type/GN/GNX and TTA vehicles have ever met in one location other than Flint or Pontiac Michigan. NEVER at any other event, and NEVER again will this happen.
4. Other engineers I am in talks with who did everything from the AE piston design, to the DEA/FBI car ECM testing, to Stage 2 Block development, prototype 3.8 engine block, Buick Indy Motorsports Engine testing. Never has this happened and will be indeed one for the ages. All in air conditioned JEGS suites, with a relaxed "bench racing" atmosphere.
5. Probably the only one left in existence, a Buick T Type factory test bed car that was built by the engineers at Turbo Group and tested the gamut of parts that eventually made their way on our beloved TRs. Not the Oak Ridge test car, this is a FLINT test bed and SURVIVED!!
6. Possible super rare 79 Turbo Century Coupe.
7. Never before seen pictures of the GNX going through the assembly process.
8. Never before seen prototype Buick parts with the engineers who built and tested them.

You will never see this happen again and this event will never be duplicated in any fashion. BE THERE!!!!

WHOSE COMING????

If you have any questions, contact myself at 216.470.8844 for Turbo Regal info or email me at [email protected] or contact Jim Chaudrue if you have questions or issues for the TTA portion of the event. His email is [email protected]. All these personnel have never met outside of Buick and Pontiac factories in Michigan. Never have all these innovative individuals been at one event and never will this type of reunion occur ever again. This is a once in a lifetime event to see and meet the people who designed, tested and build the cars that we still love to this day. Be a part of history in the making! BE THERE!!!

Tony Rose
BPG#1139
BPG Board of Directors
Vendor/Donor Coordinator
T Party Coordinator

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
This is not what I've been trying to get you guys to go to the last couple years :rofl: thats in may, 20th/21st, weekend before memorial day, and thats in norwalk oh at Summit Raceway and the surrounding area

We got a formal invite over on the regalgs.org forum for THIS event as they now know there are multiple turbo 3800 cars on that site and they have created a class for us to race!

I plan on going to both of these events... skeez if you are serious about picking up a nice TR, that is the place to do it! Bring 5k cash and get a deal like dennis did, if not better!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is not what I've been trying to get you guys to go to the last couple years :rofl: thats in may, 20th/21st, weekend before memorial day, and thats in norwalk oh at Summit Raceway and the surrounding area

We got a formal invite over on the regalgs.org forum for THIS event as they now know there are multiple turbo 3800 cars on that site and they have created a class for us to race!

I plan on going to both of these events... skeez if you are serious about picking up a nice TR, that is the place to do it! Bring 5k cash and get a deal like dennis did, if not better!

so turboo fwd junk shit is welcome?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
[quote name='TROSE11SECGN' date='16 August 2010 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1281943709' post='260816']
Hello to all,

I would like to give you all a warm welcome and invite you to the 2011 Buick Performance Group "T" party at National Trail Raceway in Columbus Ohio July 29-31, 2011. In past years we have honored the GSX in '09 and this past year we honored the GS Stage 1. In 2011 we will honor "T" cars, aka Turbo Ts, T-Types, Turbo Limited and Turbo Trans Ams. I would love to see some FWD 3800s as well. Im looking for oddball stuff, since Im the co show director, and am looking for owners interested in bringing T-Type Rivieras, Lesabre T Types, Skyhawk T Types, and YOUR FWD 3800 powered BUICKS. I will be coming up with flyers, online posts about the event, etc. I would love to have you on board and if possible either spread the word (July 29-31, 2011 at National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio) or have interested owners email me at this address: [email protected] or contact me at 216.470.8844 24/7. This goes both ways. I will help promote your events, hand out flyers, mail them out, announce your event over our PA , do anything you ask for in exchange for helping me locate some FWD 3800 cars and their owners to bring their cars to this event. I would love to contact someone via email or phone who is considered to be the head of your events or runs a registry to organize or spread the word to everyone, that I would love to see a bunch of FWD 3800s present and if there are enough, Ill organize a show class for you and make it worth your while! A race class could occur too if we get a good enough response on this board as we have posted on 3800pro.com as well. Im good friends with Ed Morad and may try and get him on board as well! So as you can see, I have a love affair with Buicks (Daily Driver is '00 GS with 151k miles)! Thanks for your time, and hope to see some of you at the event. You have my email and phone #, if you have any questions, issues, desires, or wants, feel free to call me anytime 24/7 or email me at above listed contacts! Thanks again for your time !

Anthony Rose
Buick Performance Group Board of Director- Vendor/Sponsors/Co-Chair 2011 "T" Party
BPG#1139
GSCA#1221
BCOA# 45343
Owner: 69 Gran Sport 400, 87 GN, 87 Turbo Limited, 00 Regal GS 151k miles-Intense Level 1 and Morad tail lights!
[/quote]

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Regal Madness = name of the regalgs.org get together and a different regal nationals type deal in norwalk in may... still over 100 old buicks there adn we get a private rental of summit raceway for a sunday!

Buick nationals = official "nationals" run by the biggest club in the country, ive seen pics, its rediculous the amount of buicks there... thats why I wanna go this year

much like most 3800 guys do, they attending pretty much all meets no matter the club, lots of people who go in may were telling us about the "nationals" in july last year!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info