06'+ Civic or Jetta TDI

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I test drove a 4 door 07 Civic LX recently, and it was quite comfortable, and had plenty of head and leg room for me (6'2", 230 at the time) the base motor is the 140hp one now too, so it isn't a scary experience to merge onto freeways.

I also looked at a 07 civic coupe with a sunroof... and when I say looked at, I mean, I tried to get into it, and couldn't sit in it with the seat all the way back and down without my head being cocked to one side, so I got out and just looked at it cause I liked the way it looks more than the sedan, Lol.

I'm not a fan of VW lately, Too many customer complaints, and too many dealerships turning their back on warranties in the past few years. Also, the TDI would probably be alot better with the stick IMO.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
wait... you couldnt fit into the coupe, but you fit into the sedan? you realize they have the same dimensions for front seat occupants right?

I couldn't fit into a coupe with a sunroof, that didn't have fully adjustable seats as the sedan did (Or if they were, I sure as hell couldn't find out to lower the seat)

Same legroom, Headroom was the issue, and I assume it was due to the sunroof. He is 6'4" *Taller than me* so I figured I'd make mention of it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i have the book somewhere around here.. i think the difference in headroom was .1 or .2 inches with the sunroof. there is an adjustment "ratchet" on the side of the seat... it works kinda like a VW

Someone must have jacked that coupes seat up all the way then :dunno:

I just found it odd that I literally DIDN'T fit, while in my focus, I can have my seat to its max height, and still have 2-3 inches of headroom.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
hmmm... i have a coupe and it obviously has a sunroof. im 6' and my torso is actually abnormally long and i have short legs, so i have the upper body of like a 6'2" person, and i have plenty of room to spare... the seats were probally just jacked up like crazy, cause i know if i put my seats up, i have to do the head tilt to fit inside.

crazy as it may seem... my corvette has waaayyyyy more headroom than my civic. my chin sits prettymuch level with the window sill on the door. you could easily drive that car if you were 6'6"....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
hmmm... i have a coupe and it obviously has a sunroof. im 6' and my torso is actually abnormally long and i have short legs, so i have the upper body of like a 6'2" person, and i have plenty of room to spare... the seats were probally just jacked up like crazy, cause i know if i put my seats up, i have to do the head tilt to fit inside.

crazy as it may seem... my corvette has waaayyyyy more headroom than my civic. my chin sits prettymuch level with the window sill on the door. you could easily drive that car if you were 6'6"....

I believe it!

My 92 Civic Hatch has tons of headroom too oddly enough (then again, the seat cushion is basically on the floor, Lol). I sat in a 91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo recently, and it felt like it was half the size of my hatch!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
whats wrong with diesel? im pretty sure you wouldnt be pissed off if somebody gave you a brand new Tourag II with the V10 diesel

Nothing wrong with diesel, in a truck. It isnt hard to find fuel, but its not always convinient to find it either. Every gas station sells gasoline. Probably 1 of 4 stations sell diesel. I think the smell of the diesel exhaust would bother me too. I dunno if its just me, but id rather avoid it unless I had a reason to buy a diesel specificly.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Last month I was looking at a TDI with only fuel mileage in mind....but...

Diesel is 20 cents more expensive than Premium Gas, 40 cents more a gallon than Regular, and harder to find.

The TDI is rated almost #2 in gas mileage behind the Prius though.

You really have to crunch the numbers and see if it's worth it. Plus everyone was telling me VW = not very good reputation for quality.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I would highly reccomend a new Civic. They're dependable and VWs are not really known for dependability. Honda's reliability is second to none as far as I'm comcerned. I've worked for Hond a for two years and I am more inclined to buy a Honda than I ever was before. My .02 :)

I had an 07 civic ex...and I was 6'01" and 160lbs and I fit OK in it. However, my head was mm's away from the roof at all times...which sucked. If you have long hair it may get caught in the sunroof(not a fun experience). That's why I bought an 08 WRX...WAY more headroom and it is a larger car overall. And as nice as the 140hp is, it sometimes didn't feel like enough. I had alot of traction issues.(NOT hammering on it, trying to get out into traffic on dry pavement and spinning the tires through 2nd). Plus driving in the snow with such a light feeling car with FWD just didn't cut it with me...I was parallel parked once, tried to get out of the spot and the car slid into the curb. Buy what you feel comfortable with, but make sure you test it in the conditions you will be driving it! When I test drove my WRX the salesman let me drive through an open snow covered field cuz I wanted to make sure it would handle/be able to move through snow. Honda does have a great warranty and they are just about indestructable(sp?) and mpg is good.(I always got about 30mpg) Good luck!

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Well, after a day of test drives I think I like the Sentra and Prius over the Civic! Go figure.

I drove a Civic, Scion xD, Prius and Sentra; I want to drive the Fit, Civic Hybrid and the Versa next weekend.

The Civic didn't seem to have enough oomph to get into traffic in Chicago but the others did. The Civic's e-brake was a bit intrusive but the Sentra, Versa and Prius fit nicely.

The Jetta was roomy but I won't see enough savings to accomidate the added cost; a used Jetta TDI is pretty equal to the cost of a used Prius!

Thusfar, the Sentra is leading due to a larger car feel, good gas mileage and enough oomph to get into traffic.

Any thoughts on the Sentra?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Well, after a day of test drives I think I like the Sentra and Prius over the Civic! Go figure.

I drove a Civic, Scion xD, Prius and Sentra; I want to drive the Fit, Civic Hybrid and the Versa next weekend.

The Civic didn't seem to have enough oomph to get into traffic in Chicago but the others did. The Civic's e-brake was a bit intrusive but the Sentra, Versa and Prius fit nicely.

The Jetta was roomy but I won't see enough savings to accomidate the added cost; a used Jetta TDI is pretty equal to the cost of a used Prius!

Thusfar, the Sentra is leading due to a larger car feel, good gas mileage and enough oomph to get into traffic.

Any thoughts on the Sentra?

AHHH CVT *Booooo, Hisssss*

If its a 06+, you're buying a Renault, and I'm not a Renault fan (I think its pretty Fugly)

I'd say try out a new base lancer!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info