New thermostat, wont reach OT

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
hey guys, recently i replaced my heater core, along with flushing the block, radiator and replacing the thermostat with a 185 F unit on my 3.1 cavalier. well after all this and burping the cooling system, it wouldnt reach operating temp, stopped around 140 F. i drove it like this for awhile and finally decided to replace the tstat again with a 195 F unit, but i still have the same problem only now if i let the car idle for 10-20 mins it will reach operating temp but as soon as the thermostat opens it will drop back down to 140 F. Also while cruising it sits right at 140 F. I was thinking maybe the coolant temp sensor but I didnt have this problem until i changed the thermostat. anyone have an idea of whats going on?

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
So what's the problem?

Is the blower not blowing hot air?
What is the STOCK temp needle doing?
Is the upper hose not hot?
Are the fans kicking in or on constantly?

Are you using an aftermarket temp sensor to get your 140 F reading?
And where is the probe located?

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
The problem is the engine is not fully warming up to operating temperature, nothing to do with climate control. any numbers im giving out are largly an estimate based off my coolant temp gauge in my instrument cluster. upper hose to the thermostat is hot. Its almost acting like it has a thermostat thats stuck open. Fans do not turn on at all.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
The problem is the engine is not fully warming up to operating temperature,
You can "say that". But what do you mean?! What is the problem/what is abnormal? No heat? Then say "no heat".

nothing to do with climate control.
Answering the question about the climate control is a very important one. Even if you don't think it's important.:io:

Is there heat at all?
If it is hot does it quickly turn cool?

Since you haven't said anything about the heat coming out (which is why you replaced the heater core anyway!)....
....so far it sounds like your car is perfectly normal and you're bugging out about a problem that isn't there.

Last edited:

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
I guess i should rephrase that and say a problem resulting from the car not fully warming up is it is causing it to run richer than normal resulting in poor fuel economy. I dont see how the car staying at 140 F instead of at a running temp of 190 F isnt a problem. The heat inside the car is warm but not hot, but it never has been. the reason i replaced the heater core was because it was leaking all over my floor.

Last edited:

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
What would lead you to believe the car is running rich?
And that "not fully warming up" is the cause of it?

Upper hose is hot- and car isn't overheating.
You have circulation to the heater core and there is heat.
You have replaced the thermostat twice- trying to fix a ghost problem.
A stuck (open) thermostat would mean your car wouldn't even get heat.

I don't know man, so far your car sounds pretty normal.

Here are some Cavalier Gauges.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995...014QQitemZ330220718460QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...025QQitemZ380008282120QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Judging from those pics- I highly doubt Chevy made it normal for the needle to be pointing to 195 F which is in the exact middle of the gauge sweep to indicate "fully warmed up".
If you're right underneath that first line and it goes there consistently and stays there- then I would say that is your "fully warmed up".

Here's the check:
If after 15 minutes both your upper and lower radiator hoses are hot.
If there is heat in the car.
If the two small hoses going to your throttle body are hot.
If the fans kick in.
If the needle is at "140 F"

Your car is fine!
The ONLY adverse affect your cooling system could have on the fuel mixture is if the two lines going to your throttle body are cold. Which would give you a high idle because the car doesn't think the car is warmed up.
If your idle is normal- then forget that theory.

Last edited:

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
You mean gauges don't you?

I listed a couple different generations just to see what a Cavalier temp gauge looks like.
I wasn't trying to find his EXACT cluster.:ugh:
Thanks for caring.:io:

Yeah, my mistake for making a spelling error... I'm not even a GM guy and I know that The generations you listed didn't come with a 3.1. Waste of a post cock smoke.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
I'm not even a GM guy and I know that The generations you listed didn't come with a 3.1.
I'm sure your parents are very proud! :bigthumb:
You wanna cookie?

For the second time:
I listed a couple different generations just to see what a Cavalier temp gauge looks like.
I wasn't trying to find his EXACT cluster.:ugh:

And just like your "BTW those guages are for the wrong body style." comment.....

Who gives a shit? :bowrofl:

Last edited:

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
I like how you try to act like you're the mature one by pointing out the fact that I spelled gauges wrong, and then saying some bullshit about who cares. IMO why the fuck did it matter that I spelled gauges wrong? I didn't realize that telling you the gauge faces were wrong was going to offend you so badly(not that I actually give a fuck if your pussy hurts). It's really a dissapointment that people like you are bitches and take everything so personally. It is a fucking forum not a support group. Get the fuck out of here...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i've had a rash of T stat issues lately one included a 2 week old duralast T stat that temp stuck closed (overheating) and sometimes stuck open (no heat)
i rarely see one that fails both both ways but it was a rustang sooo (just busting yer balls guys)...but likely you have a bad T stat thats sticking open

buy a Stant T stat...i've had no issues with them and theyre made in the USA... unlike many other cheaper T stats...

i cant understand it...such a cheap, simple part that adversly affects engine perf & reliability and can make and/or break it, is where people chose to save 2-4 bux

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
i have a similar problem but not quite.... my car gets to about 140* (using scan tool) when driving around in anything under 60* weather. if i let the car sit forever idling it will get up to 160 - 180 or so but then drop back down to 140 or lower when driving. Ive got a 185* t-stat. oh and barely any heat.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
I like how you try to act like you're the mature one by pointing out the fact that I spelled gauges wrong, and then saying some bullshit about who cares. IMO why the fuck did it matter that I spelled gauges wrong? I didn't realize that telling you the gauge faces were wrong was going to offend you so badly(not that I actually give a fuck if your pussy hurts). It's really a dissapointment that people like you are bitches and take everything so personally. It is a fucking forum not a support group. Get the fuck out of here...

Waste of a post cock smoke.:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info