98 Ram 1500, Blown Trans

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
This all happened today and I'm going to try and keep it short.

Took the truck out to do some shopping and noticed it would stick in 2nd gear. Just straight up didn't shift. If I let off and got back on it eventually shifted up but then it would pop back down to 2nd. In mall parking lots it was fine, managed first and second just fine.

Headed back home knowing there was a definite issue. Finally got a check engine light and was going to stop at autozone to check it but there was a shorter way home and I took that to make sure I made it home.

Then in the course of driving home I had the following happen. Went to napa for a quart of fluid. Noticed ATF steadily tripping from the torque converter area. Backed out of the spot and had some clunking and noise in the trans. Sounded like a gear or something was skipping a few teeth. Pulled into my neighborhood after a 25 mph, 5 mile drive home through neighborhoods taking it slow and easy. Trans had stopped leaking fluid before leaving. Had a final clunking of noises a half mile from home and completely lost the trans.

My plan now is to yank it out and see what's what. Honestly, based on the amount of fluid that leaked I'm leaning towards a busted torque converter. I'm also suspecting an issue with some sensors considering it flat out wouldn't shift at first but was completely fine other wise. Truck has 118k on it so not really worth much. Might drop the trans off and see what a shop says since I literally know nothing about them.

Anybody have experience with the Ram transmissions or have any ideas/suggestions beside the "typical chrysler transmissions" comments? I was somewhat relying on the truck to go to Cali and to haul the bike there.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you pull the trans,i have a buddy that can rebuild it.Hes a pro at any dodge or chevy trans!! Pm me if you go that route and i can see what he says,price wise and parts.

He works for dodge,so might have some of the parts you need already.

That would be awesome. I need to talk over the plan with my parents since it is their car still and see what they want to do. I really want to keep it it though. Not sure if it would be possible, but if your friend does fix it id like to hang around and see what he does cause transmissions are black magic to me.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
If you pull the trans,i have a buddy that can rebuild it.Hes a pro at any dodge or chevy trans!! Pm me if you go that route and i can see what he says,price wise and parts.

He works for dodge,so might have some of the parts you need already.

talk to your buddy and see if he might be interested but i have two a500 mopar rebuild kits (one complete the other might be missing a few papers/seals) plus i have a shitload of mopar tcm's and 614 planetary's etc.

he can have it all for a buck double and a milkshake :rofl:

both are from when my gramps worked for dodge, and it does look like both of em are unopened, part numbers as follows
04883439AA 1 piece overhaul package 1/98
04883439AA " " " " 6/97 shipped to colonial dodge national city CA 8/97

the TCM's and stuff are burried in the back of my wagon...im affraid i may have gotten rid of alot of the fwd mopar stuff i had.

i would love to see someone get use out of this stuff, the dodge i have now is a 42re and nothing is for it

i just opened one kit and i cant confirm whether they are for a 500 but it looks like it includes steels as well as frictions...i remember he told me they were 500$+ back in the day i think he had em around for his 97 ram van just in case type deal...

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Last minute update. Trans went to a shop. TQ converter and trans are both bad, supposedly very torn up and metal everywhere, quoted $1100 to rebuild plus we have to buy a new trans cooler cause they'll be metal in it.

What are people's thoughts? Any idea if it can be done cheaper, better?

And a decision has to be made today, we're leaving the country for 12 days this afternoon and we'd like it to be finished when we get back.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
They're gong ahead with the rebuild. The guy said the ta converter was shredded. The trans was way toast. Couch basket cracked, clutches melted together, etc.

Going to have to buy a new starter, I broke it when I was taking it out. Also need a new radiator cause it has the trans cooler built in to it, or make my own AN fitting setup if it'll be less.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info