Quick question for you guys...

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
For those who have not seen the "what made u say fuck thread", some idiot crashed into my G8 last night.:angrys00ls: This is my very FIRST claim since 1999... My wife on the other hand:roflpicard: Anyway, the insurance company wants me to take it to one of their shops to get some pics taken and get an estimate. I informed them I would be taking my car to a different shop for the actual work and asked how it works. She informed me that once they make the estimate they will cut me a check for whatever amount the adjuster determines. (minus deductible) Now my question... Is there some database out there that insurance companies/body shops use to make the estimate? So if the estimate is say 6k and they cut me a check, will I be able to take that to almost anybody shop and get the work done for that price? I just want to be prepared if I go to a different shop and they say "Its gonna cost more than that"...

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I would tell them to go fuck themselves and take it to where you want the work done and have them do an estimate. That's what I did when some dumbass merged into our focus.

You'll get screwed over at one of "there" shops and I almost guarantee it'll be less then your quality shop.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
You can take the car wherever you want. Tell the insurance company where the car is at. If they give u shit tell them it isnt drivable. They will goto the shop and write a estimate, if/when the car is getting fixed if the body shop says they need more money they will contact the insurance company and a guy will come out again. Don't goto the insurance own bodyshop so they can hack the car back together and make as much money from you as possible. Take it where you want. Tell them fuck off especially if someone hit you.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Pics of damage please!

Tell the insurance company to fuck off and my car is going to this shop and to deal with it.

BTW it is against the law for a insurance company to tell you where to take your car.

When the shop writes and estimate it is just that. An estimate. There will always be more damage that is not written in the original estimate and the shop will make a supplement toward the end of your repair and submit that the insurance company.

If you dont mind can you tell me what insurance company you will be using for this claim and I can give you a heads up on what is gonna go down.

Epi

Jan 28, 2011
Aurora
Depends on who's insurance, if it's on the other driver take it where you want and make them send their adjuster there. just don't let your friend mention that you are friends or they will start thinking fraud.
I have dealt with multiple insurance companies with work and very seldom have problems when bringing the vehicle to a shop of my choice.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Ill try and get some pics posted tomorrow. Its too fukn cold outside to want to do anything. Im actually not sure where im going to take it yet. I know people at a few shops so im still debating. I couldnt get ahold of my buddy earlier so I asked here since im impatient. :) I just talked to him and got the down low on what the process is like. Thanks

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
when my door was smashed by a tire shop i took it to my own shop got an estimate and had them fax it in. the insurance company didn't like the estimate sent out an adjuster and i got 1k less than what the estimate was...

luckily it was still 2100 more than what it cost me to fix it myself.

but some insurance companies are shady.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Its Founders Insurance, nothing special. Yeah they told me they HAVE to send their adjuster out no matter what. So its not a big deal, i'll go where they tell me so there guy can look at it and no matter what i'm taking it elsewhere for the work. My thoughts was that Founders was crappy insurance, but from what my buddy tells me, they are pretty decent based on his experiences at his shop. Ive been pretty lucky with not having to worry about how good my insurance is since i've rarely had to get them involved. I guess i'll find out now.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Its Founders Insurance, nothing special.

WORST. INSURANCE. EVER.

My wife had them before we were married and they were the most horrible, unprofessional insurance company ever.

Long story short... back in 11/2008, my wife hit black ice in her base model Cobalt, slid off the road and into a tree at 55mph. It took a week for someone to take a look at it as to whether or not to total it. It took 6 weeks to for them to cut at check to pay for the car they totaled out. It took 9 MONTHS for them to pay the ~$5,000 in medical bills (all covered under her insurance) and we were given 4 (YES 4) different adjusters during this time. My wife was getting collection calls and bills on a daily basis beginning around the 6 month mark and we did not know why.

Not to mention they were raping her on her insurance premiums. When she switched to Allstate, her premiums dropped ~$300 every 6 months and the coverage was insanely better.

Good luck with getting it fixed!

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
It's normal for their adjuster to come out regardless. He's probably an idiot however
this is so true

WORST. INSURANCE. EVER.

My wife had them before we were married and they were the most horrible, unprofessional insurance company ever.

Long story short... back in 11/2008, my wife hit black ice in her base model Cobalt, slid off the road and into a tree at 55mph. It took a week for someone to take a look at it as to whether or not to total it. It took 6 weeks to for them to cut at check to pay for the car they totaled out. It took 9 MONTHS for them to pay the ~$5,000 in medical bills (all covered under her insurance) and we were given 4 (YES 4) different adjusters during this time. My wife was getting collection calls and bills on a daily basis beginning around the 6 month mark and we did not know why.

Not to mention they were raping her on her insurance premiums. When she switched to Allstate, her premiums dropped ~$300 every 6 months and the coverage was insanely better.

Good luck with getting it fixed!
This is also true. I cant stand insurance companies like this

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info