I saw something today. silverado with quadrasteer? I need help.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
what the fuck.

okay. so.
didnt get a pic cuz it was dark and 75 mph. but i was driving down 41 next to a silverado.

this body style.

03124181990005-480.jpg

1500, red.

gas.

but the ass end was wider.

not quite dually wide. but wider...

possibly this for a bed...

but was not a quadrasteer truck- as those were only gmc's (right?)

Quadrasteer61.jpg

so basically did chevy make a silverado with quadrasteer? i have never seen one before... and see a verylittle bit about them online... but the truck still looked a lil different in the rear even still...

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
On topic but not answering your question, but what ever happened to that? Was it a bust or what? It was the "coolest" thing ever and i haven't heard anything about it since they first came out. Boom, dead.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i never looked into the quadrasteer stuff, but apparently cost killed it as an option as it was 5600$ at first.... in its final year- only 2k....

but does seem pretty badass- cuts turning radius to 37 feetish... and you also get a heavy duty rear end in a 1500 this way- with a 9 3/4" ring gear, and dana 60 axles... petty fucking cool. quadrasteer trucks also apparently had increased towing capacity due to all of this.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Quadrasteer is cool. the commercials were bad ass. Showing them backing a trailer into a super tight spot. Also makes for more stable lane changes at hwy speeds because the back end wheels turned with the front end so the truck would basically go sideways into the next lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXcSBlVPYQ

Road Test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnT1REHS7j4

Delphi Intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3SJeoEwng

This one shows a Ford with Quadrasteer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9g8oqE7Ghc

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I will say that have the rear steer is really nice even on my 300zx. Made lane changes a lot smoother as mine was only active at higher speeds. Only issue that I had on why I disabled it was that if you correct for oversteer like most any other rwd car you are usually overcorrecting. Plus sometimes it just feels a little odd when you are trying to take a corner at some decent speed. Also limits the width/size of tires you can fit in the rear.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
I will say that have the rear steer is really nice even on my 300zx. Made lane changes a lot smoother as mine was only active at higher speeds. Only issue that I had on why I disabled it was that if you correct for oversteer like most any other rwd car you are usually overcorrecting. Plus sometimes it just feels a little odd when you are trying to take a corner at some decent speed. Also limits the width/size of tires you can fit in the rear.

i didnt know 300zxs had rear steer...thats fuckin awesome.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I flopped because it was too much money.

that and the durability was lacking, the belville springs couldnt keep the wheels straight in certain failures.

yet another case of extra gadgetry and gizmo's that while cool and helpfull are annoying and increase the cost of ownership/repairs

how do i know? i remember one truck owned by an operating engineer, a cinderblock buried in the mud of a jobsite destroyed the rack....it was cheeper to get him a standard rear axle from the junkyard then it was to buy the new rack...we rigged it, loaded it up on a towtruck, dropped it off at the lot next to grossinger, where he promptly drove it over and traded it in for a 3500 :rofl:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
i didnt know 300zxs had rear steer...thats fuckin awesome.

240sx's had HICAS also. I believe 3000gt's had it also. They seemed to throw just about everything at the cars in the early 90. Most of these weren't benificial like the quadrasteer at low speeds. Mostly just made highway stuff easier.

The early hicas was hydraulic with a much bigger powersteering pump. The later hicas models just had an electric setup in the rear which seemed like a better method.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info