Ford guys step in please.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
Im having trouble finding an answer on this.

My crown vic's transmission is starting to have some issues shifting out of first when hammered on, and is randomly running right into the rev limiter before it can shift.

So.... to avoid a total failure, id like to get it replaced before it leaves the building in pieces.

Now my question is, can I use the transmission out of a 2003 Marauder or is it not compatable with my 2002 CV LX Sport? I cant seem to find a straight answer other than the 2004 marauders are different, nothing on the 03's

Thanks in advance

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Did you tune it with the 3.73? J-mod? If not, that's usually why it bounces off the rev limiter on 1-2. J-mod also allows the transmission to shift faster, getting it off the redline faster. If its an 03 marauder, its a 4r70w, methinks it should swap. the 04 is a 4r75w, may have issues swapping, but probably not since the rest of the panthers swapped to the 75 in 04. Might be a flexplate difference as well, but I don't remember.

Hit up crownvic.net, probably some articles on there, or find AKA_Rizzo, he is quite knowledgeable of the trannys.

I don't think there will be tailshaft issues, as usually the p71's and the ex'wheelbase has the longer one.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
EDIT: Problem you may have, apparently most 03 transmissions do not have VSS capability, as they swapped to the OSS to get the speed information from. Chances are, since you are looking to put it in an 02, this could be a huge damper. Check the VSS plug, on the driver side, yellow looking thing, see if you feel teeth, if so you may be able to just put the vss in there, if not, you might be ducked.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/diagrams/electrical/external/bulkhead/index.html
http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/modelnumbers/crownvic/index.html

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
Did you tune it with the 3.73? J-mod? If not, that's usually why it bounces off the rev limiter on 1-2. J-mod also allows the transmission to shift faster, getting it off the redline faster. If its an 03 marauder, its a 4r70w, methinks it should swap. the 04 is a 4r75w, may have issues swapping, but probably not since the rest of the panthers swapped to the 75 in 04. Might be a flexplate difference as well, but I don't remember.

Hit up crownvic.net, probably some articles on there, or find AKA_Rizzo, he is quite knowledgeable of the trannys.

I don't think there will be tailshaft issues, as usually the p71's and the ex'wheelbase has the longer one.

It is not tuned or J-modded. The transmission has had a really lazy 1-2 since I bought the car, so im assuming its on its final run. Wanna J-mod it for me? :bigthumb:

EDIT: Problem you may have, apparently most 03 transmissions do not have VSS capability, as they swapped to the OSS to get the speed information from. Chances are, since you are looking to put it in an 02, this could be a huge damper. Check the VSS plug, on the driver side, yellow looking thing, see if you feel teeth, if so you may be able to just put the vss in there, if not, you might be ducked.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/diagrams/electrical/external/bulkhead/index.html
http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/modelnumbers/crownvic/index.html

Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Ill have to verify that. :jg:

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
It is not tuned or J-modded. The transmission has had a really lazy 1-2 since I bought the car, so im assuming its on its final run. Wanna J-mod it for me? :bigthumb:

Yeah, all the 4r70w's seem to be lazy on 1-2, my 2-3 was also crappy. They set up the Panther transmissions to be a nice smooth shift for the old farts that usually buy the cars. Now, the thing will chirp or go sideways with the right tires on it and 2-1 throws you into the seat. :D

I'd j-mod it for ya, but -40* weather is a little to be concerned with. And x2 to what 95TBirdLX said, what is the mileage?... J-mod is pretty easy though, especially on the newer ones, the gaskets are acquired from the dealer for like $5, trans pan gasket is reusable unless its fawked, good in-lb torque wrench, good set of snap-ring pliers, brake parts cleaner, and the 2 sized drill bits. And fluid of course. Drill the holes, pull the 2 springs, put it all back together and you're done.

Yeah, all the 4r70w's seem to be lazy on 1-2, my 2-3 was also crappy. They set up the Panther transmissions to be a nice smooth shift for the old farts that usually buy the cars. Now, the thing will chirp or go sideways with the right tires on it and 2-1 throws you into the seat. :D

I'd j-mod it for ya, but -40* weather is a little to be concerned with. And x2 to what 95TBirdLX said, what is the mileage?... J-mod is pretty easy though, especially on the newer ones, the gaskets are acquired from the dealer for like $5, trans pan gasket is reusable unless its fawked, good in-lb torque wrench, good set of snap-ring pliers, brake parts cleaner, and the 2 sized drill bits. And fluid of course. Drill the holes, pull the 2 springs, put it all back together and you're done.

:fy:

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
They scare me too, as long as you don't touch the OD piston you're good..lol.

114k, unless it was beat to piss, I doubt its on it's way out. J-mod might spice it up a bit, and you may need to get a tune to work with the 3.73 a little better. And if you want a lil more oomph, MZT with the tune will get you to a little more bite. Except, MZT is about $1-300, and tune (mail-order from BOC) is about 400 if you don't have the xcal

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
They scare me too, as long as you don't touch the OD piston you're good..lol.

114k, unless it was beat to piss, I doubt its on it's way out. J-mod might spice it up a bit, and you may need to get a tune to work with the 3.73 a little better. And if you want a lil more oomph, MZT with the tune will get you to a little more bite. Except, MZT is about $1-300, and tune (mail-order from BOC) is about 400 if you don't have the xcal

Welllllll you wanna J-mod it when it gets warmer out?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Welllllll you wanna J-mod it when it gets warmer out?

Provided it is indeed warmer out, we have a place to do it, and all the parts are in place, that is a possibility. I'd have to get my spring maintenance out of the way first... ($600 later :p )

Having the BOC tune myself, I can give great advice...don't get the BOC tune. As much as I like Lonnie (the person), Lonnie (the tuner) sucks.

I've heard hit or miss with it myself. usually hit, but a few misses in there. Mainly because they are mail order tunes, where its a general "fix" as opposed to being 100% custom to the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info