About to pull the trigger on a blower...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
M90 kit for the ranger...

5.0/GT-40P motor.

Pros/Cons?

Long-term goal was only 350, MAYBE 400whp out of it...

JUST the kit has proven to stuff out 280whp to the floor with no other supporting modifications at 5PSI on stock internals, stock MAF, etc, etc. (They put out about 170WHP/210Crank)

VERY VERY rare, only made by one company, someone happens to still have a kit, and its still brand new, and I can get it for a decent price.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The issue with ALL mustang kits is the same. Explorer accessories are different completely, so all of the brackets would have to be custom made..... So I'd have to swap to all mustang accessories, or make it work with what I have.

Sounds like I should just go Heads/cam over a blower :(

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
The issue with ALL mustang kits is the same. Explorer accessories are different completely, so all of the brackets would have to be custom made..... So I'd have to swap to all mustang accessories, or make it work with what I have.

Sounds like I should just go Heads/cam over a blower :(

Well thats the issue with doing a swap. With the mustang accessories you will have a lot more options for other parts as well.

supercharged would be way more fun than a heads cam truck, especially without a decent torque converter in it.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Even then manual steering isn't bad. My 4000lb buick doesn't have PS and neither does my friends.

It can't be that much to switch to mustang pulleys/accessories. Shit is super cheap and most should be available in the junkyard. I'd try to make that setup as mustang ad possible including wiring harness and ecu. That explorer crap is killing you.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
The M90 doesn't flow enough for the V6 engines it was designed for, much less any V8 out there. Get yourself a procharger and be done with it (if you are going S/C). The M112 still sucks IMO as it generates more heat than boost. Stupid Heatons.

Also swapping your accessories over to mustang 5.0 accessories should take you how long? Get real, go find a real problem to deal with! And power steering? You've been going to the gym -- think of it as free exercise.

Man up, you drive a v8 truck :nannerpunk:

The route I would go is j-mod and torque converter first though, you'll get a lot at the track with just those two things.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I don't think it's a bad deal if the price is right. Maybe down the road look for an adapter to drop the 112 rotors in the M90 case...ZZP was making them for awhile. Not as good as a full-blown M112, but better than an M90. M90 would definately be limited w/o an IC...and even with one it's a pretty small lung for the displacement so you will probably max out around 350WHP.

The other thing is your gearing, you got too much gear for a roots blower. If you wanted to maximize the set-up, 3.20ish gearing would be about right, since you'd have a wide TQ band...Procharger would work a lot better with your current gearing.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The M90 kit sounds rigged. A KB would be better but good luck getting a cheap kit. You say you only want 350hp now but you will want to upgrade. Trust me on this. haha

Swap to the 86-93 Foxbody front drive. You can get the parts cheap enough. And if you get a Vortech kit you only need the motorsport p/s reloacation brackets.Heck, you can get a base S trim kit new for $2000. A Si kit would last you up to 700hp with a different combo.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
x2, thats a light little truck, just loop the line on the rack and put some narrower tires up front so its not so hard to steer if you care that much.

Full rack is only like $120 brand new for a manual one... I'd just have to figure out if the steering linkage is any different... May be worth it though.

I think this thread in the end is more a question of "should I go FI, or Cam/Heads"

The kit I'm looking at with the M90 is $1900, it is still BRAND NEW (They stopped making the kit about 3 years ago) as the owner never installed it. He didn't install it because he went with big heads etc...

The kit bolted on with NO other modifications on a 97 V-8 explorer did 282WHP at 6PSI... With torque monster headers the kit puts down a kick over 300. I'd imagine a Meth injection kit could help the blower tremendously to help dispel some of the heat?

a nice set of heads are going to be about $1000, cam kit will be about $700 + Whatever other nick-nacks I may need, plus all the labor of tearing it all apart.

I'm still all kinds of wishy/washy on it... Realistically any other blower putting out more PSI is going to need SERIOUS money to be put into it (Tuning, and supporting mods)

How much different is the M112 Vs the M90 as far as mounting it up? Aren't there blowers by TVS/KB/Etc that are direct replacements for an M90 down the road?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Meth doesn't work on an M90 unless you can plumb it in the lower manifold and somehow ensure even distrobution. It's been tried, some had success, most didn't.

Intercooling or E85 are pretty much your options.

Also...the 112 won't interchange in any form. If this is a OEM blower, they came with different snout lengths. 3800's have a long snout M90, but the short snout from the M112 will physically fit. There were couplers made for the 3800 that extend the blower case and use the short snout to stuff 112 rotors in it.

There is also an Eaton "universal" style version of the m45,m90,m112...if this kit comes with one of those it's possible the mount is the same...but from what I understand of this kit that the blower is some OEM type. If it's the same M90 from the 3.8 supercoupe it's a lame blower...lame with a capital L.

The gen 3 Eaton's on the 3800's was a huge leap forward, and the Gen V's better yet. Not compatable with the earlier eaton's aside from a few parts though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info