STOLEN CAR!!! 1974 Dodge Monaco aka "The Bluesmobile" from SP's lot

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Please keep a look out. My car has apparently been stolen right out of our lot. It probably didn't help that the keys were in it but it's 25 degrees outside and has a carb! It's not that easy to get started and running right.

The car was taken somewhere between 12:30pm and 6:15pm today 1/25/2011. Please call me immediately at (847) 363-3139 to report any leads whatsoever.

bluesmobile.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
People steal messed up things

im having a hard time believing that someone was walking through their lot trying car doors and looking for key's...almost like it had to be someone who knew about it?
then again i remember posts about people finding homeless people sleeping in their unlocked cars

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
im having a hard time believing that someone was walking through their lot trying car doors and looking for key's...almost like it had to be someone who knew about it?
then again i remember posts about people finding homeless people sleeping in their unlocked cars

That's what I said. I am there every day so it's possible.

especially middle of the day- with how long it takes for the thing to get warm and running from the soudns of it.. somebody for sure knew what to do with it...

Yeah it takes a second to get it going, and if you don't know what you're doing (as most people would since they aren't familiar with the car) they had to be out there for a few minutes. It was such a busy day at the shop moving cars around that I didn't even think twice when I heard any engines start up.

Reid

Reid@SP

www.spracingonline.com
Apr 12, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Here's a copy of the PR I sent out to local news stations and papers:

Press Release: Bluesmobile Theft at Bensenville speed shop

Vehicle stolen and recovered in 24 hour period

Bensenville, IL — January 26, 2011 — A strange chain of events that began with the theft of Reid Dawson’s beloved 1974 Dodge Monaco yesterday, January 25, 2011 leads to an iconic movie moment from the classic motion picture “The Blues Brothers” filmed in Chicago, IL in 1980. The Dodge is painted to resemble Jake and Elwood’s Bluesmobile. The theft of Reid’s own Bluesmobile occurred at his workplace, Sound Performance in Bensenville, IL during the hours of approximately 12:30pm to 6:15pm. Sound Performance is a local speed shop whose claim to fame is the venerable Toyota Supra in addition to specializing in turbocharged street vehicles and offer full tuning services, custom fabrication, and many other model-specific manufactured parts. Reid makes a 120 mile round-trip commute daily to Sound Performance after his business classes at Northern Illinois University. Reid noticed the car was missing at approximately 10:00pm that night but was able to confirm from a customer that the car was already missing by 6:15pm. The Bensenville Police were called and a report was filed. Reid immediately attacked the automotive forums he frequents in an attempt to get the word out along with creating a Facebook group with nearly 600 members of friends and family to inform as many people as possible.

Reid had come to the conclusion that the car was already stripped for scrap metal or would unlikely be found the following day. Luckily the latter turned out to be the case. At approximately 8:00pm, a phone call was received from the Bensenville Police that the Bluesmobile was found in Wilmington, IL. Ironically, the car was seemingly on its own Mission from God having been found not far from Joliet, alluding to “The Blues Brothers” movie where Jake had served prison time. The car was reportedly found abandoned on a small side road not far off Route 55. Further details were to be released the following day upon the return of the Bluesmobile.

Only an hour and a half later, another phone call was received from the Bensenville Police with new details. It turns out the car was not abandoned, but rather commandeered by a soon to be AWOL (Absent without leave) Navy enlistee. The runaway was camped out at a family friend’s house in Wilmington, IL where the car was previously believed to be abandoned. He is currently in police custody and will be prosecuted for possession of a stolen vehicle.

Reid was overjoyed not only to hear of the recovery of his Bluesmobile but also to learn that the criminal was found and the appropriate legal measures are being taken to the full extent of the law. The retrieval offered a happy end to a potentially heartbreaking story, despite the Bluesmobile lacking heat (other than the comforter in the front seat), windshield wipers, and offering pitiful fuel economy on Reid’s daily commute. It’s safe to say that the Bluesmobile has completed its Mission from God after being returned home in one piece.

Additional links:

Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...0798998627663&id=180884368619126&notif_t=like

Google maps of theft and recovery locations:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&r...ocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8gEwA

Reid Dawson
(847) 363-3139
[email protected]

www.spracingonline.com
www.spracingforum.com

It was just too damn ironic of a story to leave untold!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info