Bad Rack & Pinion, How Hard To Install?

shaveradam

www.finishingtouchdetail. com
Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
:noes:So last night, s00ls and I were at Ikea. In the parking lot, the power steering went and when we got home, a short inspection revealed that the boot on the passenger side of the steering rack has ripped and it looks like the seal blew out and all of the fluid has been expunged.

Parts are relatively cheap for what it is, at Napa, but what are we talking in terms of difficulty to replace that beast? I will also be replacing the PS Pump as it just makes sense and is also cheap through Napa.

So again, how difficult, how much time, what's involved?:dunno:

Non related part swap, I will be replacing my struts. Same question as above... how long and how difficult?

HELP!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
either get a good used rack (i have one with 80k) or spend the money on the delco rack, ive had more than a few issues with az/advanced/napa racks with hard steering in one direction/noise....trust me you get tired of swapping through 4 racks before you insist the customer spend the extra 200$ on the delco version from napa...which ended up perfect. (hell this was 2 years ago so it may be even cheeper now)
i will say the napa started out good but less than 2 days later she brought it back that it was hard to steer to the right.
btw, flush the PS pump before you yank the rack, yank the return hose, plug the resevoir nipple and fill it with clean ps fluid and run 2-4 bottles through it

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
btw, flush the PS pump before you yank the rack, yank the return hose, plug the resevoir nipple and fill it with clean ps fluid and run 2-4 bottles through it

I'm sorry... but this made ABSOLUTELY no sense. Mayhaps I'm reading it wrong?:jg:However, I WILL also be replacing the PS pump... so is there still a need to flush the pump?

And I checked on the Delco rack. $472 from a dealer, or Napa can order it for $450. That, vs their $179 refurb rack. I'm sorry... but right now I MUST go with the less expensive one... low on fundage.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I'm sorry... but this made ABSOLUTELY no sense. Mayhaps I'm reading it wrong?:jg:However, I WILL also be replacing the PS pump... so is there still a need to flush the pump?

And I checked on the Delco rack. $472 from a dealer, or Napa can order it for $450. That, vs their $179 refurb rack. I'm sorry... but right now I MUST go with the less expensive one... low on fundage.

I get pretty sick discounts from napa... considering we use them nearly 20 times a day... ill let you know today my cost.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

if the pump isnt whining dont bother replacing it unless the fluid is full of clitter glitter, on the lower left of the resevoir is a rubber hose clamped to a nipple molded into the resevoir, remove the clamp and gently twist/work it off with a pick once its off, shove a piece of 5/16ths hardline into it down to a bucket, put a small 5/16ths vacum cap over the nipple, fill resevoir, start engine while continually adding fluid till it comes out nice and clean.
spend the $ on the rack or get a good used one otherwise you will be doing it twice or living with it being hard to steer in one direction vs the other. reciculationg ball spool valves must be perfect to operate properly.
you can get a junkyard rack with a 30-90day warranty for like 100-150$
id sell ya mine but i know its minty with new inner tie rods so i wanna keep it around for a spare.
maybe youll be luckier than i was but i got 4 different junk reman racks...in a row... from 3 different parts places.
regardless get new orings for the HP and LP hose fittings that thread into the rack

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
if the pump isnt whining dont bother replacing it unless the fluid is full of clitter glitter, on the lower left of the resevoir is a rubber hose clamped to a nipple molded into the resevoir, remove the clamp and gently twist/work it off with a pick once its off, shove a piece of 5/16ths hardline into it down to a bucket, put a small 5/16ths vacum cap over the nipple, fill resevoir, start engine while continually adding fluid till it comes out nice and clean.
spend the $ on the rack or get a good used one otherwise you will be doing it twice or living with it being hard to steer in one direction vs the other. reciculationg ball spool valves must be perfect to operate properly.
you can get a junkyard rack with a 30-90day warranty for like 100-150$
id sell ya mine but i know its minty with new inner tie rods so i wanna keep it around for a spare.
maybe youll be luckier than i was but i got 4 different junk reman racks...in a row... from 3 different parts places.
regardless get new orings for the HP and LP hose fittings that thread into the rack

I'm going to have Datturbosix do the work so this should be much easier with a lift :)

The rack from Napa has a lifetime warranty... so I know it'll be a PITA if I have to replace it again, but at least I won't have to pay for the part.

The fluid I could see in the engine compartment DID have clitter Glitter throughout, so again, that was my reason for thinking it was probably time for a replacement.

I am having a shop look at the car this afternoon to give me a definitive daiagnosis before I go sink money into parts so we'll see what happens. I will be heading to datturbosix's shop tomorrow afternoon to get it fixed, when I have determined what's wrong.

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
see if he'll charge half for the second time around if the rack isnt right

Trust me, I gotcha, but unless I can get the Delco model (new, not from a junkyard) from somewhere for under $200, I will not be able to afford this. The repair NEEDS to be done, as I drive my vehicle for work. I simply don't have a choice.

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
Just drive it as is till you have cash. I drove my gtp with it being manual one way/power the other for like 6 months.

I DRIVE FOR WORK. I drive with clients in my car, I drive probably to 3-5 appointments per day. I can't put up with the steering being bad. I've driven cars with PS issues before, and none have ever been as tough as this beast.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
yes. get the orings for the lines, and bring whatever fluid youd like to run in the system.

in the past, i have been able to battle it out with the parts vendor for compensation on the labor that had to be done a 2nd time... hopefully it wont be the case this time, but as 400sbc said... it does happen. often.

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
yes. get the orings for the lines, and bring whatever fluid youd like to run in the system.

in the past, i have been able to battle it out with the parts vendor for compensation on the labor that had to be done a 2nd time... hopefully it wont be the case this time, but as 400sbc said... it does happen. often.

Where do I find the O-Rings that will be necessary? Also, you do have the ability to swap the pulley from the old PS pump to the new one, correct?
How much fluid do you think I will need to buy for the PS system?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Where do I find the O-Rings that will be necessary? Also, you do have the ability to swap the pulley from the old PS pump to the new one, correct?
How much fluid do you think I will need to buy for the PS system?
ask your parts store. prolly better luck at napa then vatozone.....
couple quarts shld be enough. yes i have a puller.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info