Would you rather: Have a DD/Toy, or 2 separate cars

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Currently I have 2 ford rangers, the 98 V-8, Std cab, 2wd, and the 00 V-6 Super cab, 4X4.

The 98 is pretty beat visually honestly, but the suspension/rear axel/Diff/motor mounts/ECU will work just fine on any 98+ 2wd ford ranger

The 00 is actually a really nice/loaded truck minus a crack in the flare in the bed, but the 4X4 system makes V-8 conversions VERY complicated on these rangers

My 'final goal' for my ranger project is 350-400whp with a blower over next winter, 275-300 NA this spring, and spray before the season is over.

I'm thinking about hunting down a clean 98+ 2wd Super cab ranger, with a standard bed (wider bed, and can seat 4-5 people) and moving everything over next winter

Once this is done, I would sell the 4X4 (I wouldn't want to swap the V-8 to the 4X4 because it is far heavier, the conversion involved for making the V-8 work with the 4X4 system, etc, etc, etc)

the super cab's weigh MAYBE 300-350lbs more than what my truck currently weighs, and I have no problem driving a 2wd truck year round (Especially with the Posi rear-end I have) It'd also be nice to get one with power windows/locks/keyfob etc, etc, etc since the current truck is a total 'stripper' model.

Any opinions?

*CLIFFS*

'project' truck is currently extremely unpleasant to drive in bad weather (My own fault for removing heat, and it being a 'basic' model), but my long term goals are fairly low, thinking about consolidating to one truck Vs. 2.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
get this:
mustangrangersutpic1.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Lol @ Mustranger.

Sad part about that ranger/mustang thing is the bodykit it has on the side of it is EXTREMELY rare now, looks great with the correct front bumper, and no longer made...

Part of me tells me to just dump both rangers and buy a lightening, but on a practicality level there is no real advantage to a lightening since I'd still be stuck with a standard cab truck that has a mighty thirst for Premium, would just have more potential.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It is always nice to be able to push the fun car with out worrying about breaking it and not being able to get to work the next day. lol

Reliable DD and a fun car is the way to go for sure.

I thought about that too, but working downtown I take the train... and am moving to within a mile of the train station shortly...

Ontop of that, I really don't see myself NOT working downtown for many years, I REALLY enjoy it, and the commute is oddly relaxing.

I think with such low HP goals also, I don't think I'll have many reliability issues honestly. I want a high 12sec street truck when its all said and done. If I need/want something faster I'll save up for a GT500 down the road.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Being in the DD/Toy being the same vehicle boat I can safely say it sucks. You'll consolidate and then within a year be buying another vehicle (again).

Don't say you haven't been warned :wavey:

I confess you are part of the reason why I made this thread, thinking about your Diff and head issues etc...

So can you ship that power supply? :hs:, i tried calling back but your phone was dead.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I thought about that too, but working downtown I take the train... and am moving to within a mile of the train station shortly...

Ontop of that, I really don't see myself NOT working downtown for many years, I REALLY enjoy it, and the commute is oddly relaxing.

I think with such low HP goals also, I don't think I'll have many reliability issues honestly. I want a high 12sec street truck when its all said and done. If I need/want something faster I'll save up for a GT500 down the road.

OK. What about getting to the grocery store, friends house, hospital, etc. Not having a running car for even a day sucks. Heck, having a car apart and needing to run out to get a part from the store can become a big issue.

I prefer not to be stranded at any given time. haha Some of the most reliable DD I have owned were not expensive. I had a Pontiac T1000 (Chevette) back in the day. I bought it for like $350. It was mint and even had good working A/C. I got hit twice in it. Nothing major. Both times people wanted it off their insurance and paid me cash after I got an estimate. The damage was so small I was not in a hurry to fix it. And the second accident made the same exact dent in the opposite fender. No missing paint or any thing. Looked like a factory accent. HAHAHAHA I sold the car after driving it problem free for 2 years. Never got stuck in snow, never broke down on me, got great gas mileage and I didn't care I was driving a Chevette. LMAO I sold the car for $600. So I made good money with the car and it never left me hanging. Shit, I wish I still had that little car. HAHAHAHAHA

Different strokes for different folks. But I say buy a reliable DD even if it is a cheap car. Sell one of the trucks and fund your project with out having to worry about getting around.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
OK. What about getting to the grocery store, friends house, hospital, etc. Not having a running car for even a day sucks. Heck, having a car apart and needing to run out to get a part from the store can become a big issue.

Didn't even really think about that... Very true :hs:

I think the main thing is that I should probably get rid of the 4X4 in favor of a civic in spring for MPG if nothing else since I really have no need for 2 pickup trucks...

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
2 fun turbo cars is my preference.

Yep!!

I enjoy owning two vehicles. like others have said... it makes one breaking or an upgrade you want to do much less stressful.

I got two cars, one is a project car and the other is a car I can drive in the worst weather, pick up the kids, grab them groceries and still rip high 12's at the drap strip.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've heard there's no way they will hit $5, simply because price of oil would have to double what it's at now, which isn't going to happen.

With the US dollar becoming more de-valued every day it will not take long for oil to double in cost. The production of that oil will cost more as well.

I will be surprised if it hits $5 a gallon by 2012 with out major events. But then again look what they pay a liter for gas in the UK and other parts of the world. Just some thing to think about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info