Random Rattle/knocking near header area Ques for eagle

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
So after driving the camaro for a while we noticed what sounds like an exhaust rattle/clunking back and forth at idle because of the motor shake. It didnt do this right away when I put the motor together it just kinda started more and more. When I put the car in gear or reverse and its on load the noise lessens and almoost goes away. Also while driving the noise is not there.

Car shifts fine seems to run ok, so I was wondering could it possible be just the exhaust rattle and clunks or could it be in the new 3600 i just installed? I havent been able to get under the car yet so I know eagle had torque converter probs Was wondering if it sounded like this.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The converter should not make any noise if its working & installed properly. Did you need to shim at all? Spacers?

Exhaust is very likely, but should also be VERY easy to find/isolate/correct.

Do you scan or data log the car when you're driving around? If so, anything odd in the scans? If not, start scanning now just to be safe.

I'm sure others will have input as well on this one.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
The converter should not make any noise if its working & installed properly. Did you need to shim at all? Spacers?

Exhaust is very likely, but should also be VERY easy to find/isolate/correct.

Do you scan or data log the car when you're driving around? If so, anything odd in the scans? If not, start scanning now just to be safe.

I'm sure others will have input as well on this one.

We didnt see anything wrong when it was at fast motorsports...... however it has a TCI flex plate now and when I was bolting up the new SS 3600 I wasnt able to use my new ARP torque converter bolts because the head was to tall it was hitting the back of the cam plate bolts..... the new ones Yank had on the converter looked more like stock and cleared them ok. I found that odd and very distrurbing. But the converter was all the way back in the trans, it went down once.... I rotated it around and it slid down again and I filled it with over a quart and a half of fluid before it went it.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Didn't you say you and Brandon thought this was a problem? But you found it was a collapsed lifter, maybe it wasn't what you thought? You never know. Hope you find the problem isn't anything bad! :bigthumb:

this is a different noise a lot quieter than that loud noise we heard lol! This u hear when im cranking the motor when its vibrating back and forth, and then when its in drive or reverse the noise stops clanking

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
We didnt see anything wrong when it was at fast motorsports...... however it has a TCI flex plate now and when I was bolting up the new SS 3600 I wasnt able to use my new ARP torque converter bolts because the head was to tall it was hitting the back of the cam plate bolts..... the new ones Yank had on the converter looked more like stock and cleared them ok. I found that odd and very distrurbing. But the converter was all the way back in the trans, it went down once.... I rotated it around and it slid down again and I filled it with over a quart and a half of fluid before it went it.

hrmmm... did you by any chance measure the clearance between the TC and the flexplate with the TC seated into the trans fully? I think there is a max spec for that measurement - otherwise you need to use spacers or something.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
yea yea, I get the head of the bolt issue - but I was more referring to measuring the clearance between the unbolted TC and flexplate.

well i guess we are going to be doing that tommorow...... lifted it up and it spit out every single torque converter bolt.... yes thats right there were none left. so were prob going to be retapping the converter holes tommorow and putting the arp bolts in since there longer and better for the TCI flexplate..... we shaved the heads of them down 20 mins ago. Im so pissed and depressed. We just got her running and now this. I thought these bolts looked a little short when i was putting them in, and I torqued them to. Thats prob the noise we heard on the dyno at deans.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yea dude... you're probably lucky that its just the bolts. Sometimes the flexplates tear the center out around the flexplate-to-crank bolts.

You might check and make sure that you have the correct flexplate, that your clearances between flexplate to torque converter clearances are within the specified tolerance, that your flexplate did not get bent or damaged, and that your input shaft on your trans is ok too...

Make sure you use loctite on the the new bolts to the TC too.

Good luck man.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Yea dude... you're probably lucky that its just the bolts. Sometimes the flexplates tear the center out around the flexplate-to-crank bolts.

You might check and make sure that you have the correct flexplate, that your clearances between flexplate to torque converter clearances are within the specified tolerance, that your flexplate did not get bent or damaged, and that your input shaft on your trans is ok too...

Make sure you use loctite on the the new bolts to the TC too.

Good luck man.

It's the right flexplate. Just the tci one. I am curious it came with the flex plate and the bolts and this black circular piece that looks like it would fit in the center of the plate like a centering tool but it's to small..... What is that piece? I just left it out because no one could tell me

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
a6898d32-eefb-c604.jpg

That little black thing off to the left.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info