I'm almost afraid to ask

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I'm almost afraid to ask this question, but I have to get rid of the G/P GTP and need a replacement. I want something a little smaller (so people wouldn't always assume I could drive them all over creation), but I still want something with power and a stick. After looking over some options I found this:

Beetlws03.jpg

beetles.jpg

Beetles02.jpg

This is a VW Beetle (duh) Turbo S. It has the 2 tone interior, 6-speed manual, performance suspension and the 1.8T (180 hp Audi TT) engine. It's not new, but it will work. Of course, I can't leave stock alone, so I would upgrade the turbo to a T3, install a larger intercooler, intake, front lowering springs, look into getting bigger brakes and definitely a tune. After doing these mods, it should be around 215 to 225 hp.

Along with taking off the hood badge, black chroming the "VW" and "Turbo S" emblems, adding a spoiler and getting some side and front fascia dress up parts like on...:

Beetles04.jpg

...I think it might look kind of cool. Modding the dash to add a few gauges (Boost, Trans Temp, Oil Pressure or...whatever...) and a couple minor things here and there too.

I was wondering what you guy's (and gals) may think. eember, this would be my daily driver and not some sort of show car. The money I get from the pats from the trans eating GTP will be going into......

5-18-2010040.jpg

...which is a heck of a lot cooler than the GTP would ever be (IMO)

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
does that come with the flower on the dash :hsugh:
the new beetle is probably the worst car volkswagon has put out (recently anyway). save yourself the headache and buy something else. besides, that would make you look pretty gay. :hay:
what else did you look into? also, what's your price range?

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
The Golf I looked up was an R32 and was also a 4-door for around 13K. I'm not too crazy about the extra doors and other Golf's I looked up onlione have between 90K to 131K miles for around 7K. This one is about 9K and has 27K miles on it.

Besides, there are all kinds of people who love Bugs. Doing what I said in the first post or possibly a version of Herbie's Evil Twin would be kind of cool.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
does that come with the flower on the dash :hsugh:

That would be the first thing I threw out the window...if it has one.

the new beetle is probably the worst car volkswagon has put out (recently anyway). save yourself the headache and buy something else.

Why...what have you heard?

I did a few searches and the only thing I found is a leaky valve cover gasket, problems with the hood latch lever (inside the car) and the headlight switch not working properly.

The valve cover gasket is a 2.5 hour job and if you don't use cheap gaskets it's a perminent fix. The hood latch goes right back together. If you pulkl it straight back and not sideways, the problem is fixed. The headlight switch is about a 1 hour job and plug and play.

what else did you look into? also, what's your price range?

My price range is about $10K with the trade in of the used 1999 G/P GTP (valued at $3,500-ish)

I'm not too crazy about Mustangs or anything relatively affordable by Dodge. Being I have a w-body and have nothing but transmission problems with the car I have, I'm not too hip to get an Impala, Bonneville or another one of those either.

I looked into the GTO. The last 2004 I saw went for around $16K and that was for a beat up POS.

The 2002-ish BMW 3 series is cool, but to tune it up will cost...just a new exhaust is several grand. The Beetle will cost too, but not nearly as much.

I like the Nissan 350's but I might as well get a Mustang. Besides, the Mustang and 350's are sports cars-meaning the insurance is high. Being a Beetle, it's considered more of a passive vehicle and the insurance isn't as bad. It will be right around what I'm paying now.

Any suggestions?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
If you're looking for reliability in a DD then a vw is not it. The beetle can be a neat car but it's gonna hurt when it starts costing you 3 times as much to replace stuff compared to a Japanese or American car.

For $10k you could get a Wrx, civic si, a nice srt-4 (04+)or an Acura rsx type-s Plenty of other cars that are going to be fun to drive and not cost an arm and a leg in repairs.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
just sell me that t/a and you can have some more money to buy something else

It will be a cold day in @#$!% when that happens. The T/A is a L92 1991 convertible with a 5-speed manual. The ONLY options is has are leather wrapped shift lever/e-brake/wheel, WS-6 suspension, 225 hp TPI engine (not the standard 205 hp tpi) and gauge package.

It's kind of a rare bird...HA!...(pardon the pun). I sent the vin to PHS (Pontiac Historical Society) who told me at first, "that car doesn't exist", followed by, "well, we found the build sheet for that car and it may be 1 of 1".

Ive had 2 GOOD friends of mine with the Passat (2001-2002) 1.8t lose their engine due to oil pressure problems. Both complained that their VW needed more than usual repairs (axles, tie rods, misc. electrical stuff, at less than 80k). I'd never buy a VW, BUT if I did, warranty all the way.

That's good to know. I did searches and didn't come up with any of that. Thanksfor the heads up.

If you're looking for reliability in a DD then a vw is not it. The beetle can be a neat car but it's gonna hurt when it starts costing you 3 times as much to replace stuff compared to a Japanese or American car.

For $10k you could get a Wrx, civic si, a nice srt-4 (04+)or an Acura rsx type-s Plenty of other cars that are going to be fun to drive and not cost an arm and a leg in repairs.

True...but if it's not a Challenger, Charger or Viper, I'm not getting a dodge (sorry MOPAR guy's)

Hmm...Acura?!?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You can buy a stout little Acura Integra LS for $3000-4000.

Or you can find clean GSR's for $5000-6000 if you want to try to avoid payments all together.....

LS Teggy = 140hp/127tq, 29mpg, huge aftermarket
GSR Teggy = 170hp/117tq, 27mpg, (Typically comes with power everything, leather, sunroof, factory alloys) huge aftermarket

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Or you can find clean GSR's for $5000-6000 if you want to try to avoid payments all together.....

GSR Teggy = 170hp/117tq, 27mpg, (Typically comes with power everything, leather, sunroof, factory alloys) huge aftermarket

Awesome till it's stolen :s00ls:

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry

Awesome till it's stolen :s00ls:

...and there are only 3 on edmunds.com within 150 miles :-(

VW transmissions are notorious for blowing up, too. I'd stay far, far away.

Oh...that's awesome! I was on several VW forums and nobody said WORD 1 about tranny problems!

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
...and there are only 3 on edmunds.com within 150 miles :-(

Oh...that's awesome! I was on several VW forums and nobody said WORD 1 about tranny problems!

I knew three guys in college that owned VW vehicles. Two GTi's and one Jetta. All three 1.8t. All three manual trans. After mild mods (and some aggressive driving), all three had blown transmissions. After the first one I thought he just didn't know how to drive. The second, a coincidence. The third... VW transmissions = shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info