GTO vs. Termi.... Owners please step in.

Which car?

• GTO

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Cobra

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm dead set on getting a new performance car in the spring. After alot of research, I have narrowed my choices down to two cars.

-2005-2006 Pontiac GTO M6

-2003-2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra M6

I've been doing some research on them (I know a fair amount about both of the cars) And I've come to the conclusion that for what I'm looking for, the Cobra is the way to go. I'm looking to do bolt ons for this upcoming season, and then some more major work down the line if I like the car and choose to keep it. The termi's just seem to give you an assload more bang for your buck when it comes to added power : cost. Althought I'm not a fan of the Cobra's interior at all (I'm very picky about car interior's) I think the performance of the Cobra outweights pretty much everything on the GTO. I've essentially made up my mind that this is the route that I'd like to take, so I'm essentially looking for owners opinions about their likes, dislikes, triumphs and hardships during the ownership of their cars. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

:ford:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I haven't owned either but id go cobra. Although its slightly more money I feel its a better car. With the GTO's only being built for a few years and pontiac gone, stuffs going to be expensive for these. Not to mention the resale value of GTO's seems to spiral down. If you are eventually going to build a all out race car id just buy a Fbody.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
^^^^ lol ^^^^ so true. i think what it comes down to is if this car is going to be an everyday car to you or just a performance/fun car. if it is the latter the cobra is the obvious choice. but the GTO obviously has a nicer interior, i dont think anybody would argue that, but is it so much nicer as to warrant sacrificing all that cheap performance/fun/ supercharger whine that the cobra will give you over the gto? IMO no unless it is your year round daily

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
If performance is what youre after, even i'll say cobra. :rofl:

i daily drive my gto, and it doesnt really see track time, so for me the gto is perfect. has that balance of just enough power, and good everyday driveability/comfort. But it doesnt sound like thats what you're after

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
If performance is what youre after, even i'll say cobra. :rofl:

i daily drive my gto, and it doesnt really see track time, so for me the gto is perfect. has that balance of just enough power, and good everyday driveability/comfort. But it doesnt sound like thats what you're after

so basically exactly what i said lol

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
who the fuck would choose a gto over a cobra as a performance car? im like the last person who would buy a mustang but id take one over a gto anyday

Almost word for word that went through my head after reading the topic title LOL

i mean hey, even ford followed the GM brilliant idea of adding a s/c stock :s00ls:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
cobra

i shall add a poll as well.[/QUOTE

Thanks mookey.

I haven't owned either but id go cobra. Although its slightly more money I feel its a better car. With the GTO's only being built for a few years and pontiac gone, stuffs going to be expensive for these. Not to mention the resale value of GTO's seems to spiral down. If you are eventually going to build a all out race car id just buy a Fbody.

The same reasons I saw as well, thanks for your input. I'm fairly concerned about resale, because if I'm not 110% in love with the car by the end of the season, you'll see it in the FS section lol.
Wait u hate the cobra inside but like the GTOs

Vote cobra w/o a second thought[/QUOTE

Not hate, but am disappointed with The cobra interior.

Cobra for sure. The seats are nice, the rest of the interior is pretty cool if it was still 1994.

Exactly... outdated.

^^^^ lol ^^^^ so true. i think what it comes down to is if this car is going to be an everyday car to you or just a performance/fun car. if it is the latter the cobra is the obvious choice. but the GTO obviously has a nicer interior, i dont think anybody would argue that, but is it so much nicer as to warrant sacrificing all that cheap performance/fun/ supercharger whine that the cobra will give you over the gto? IMO no unless it is your year round daily

It will be a summer, nice weather DD and fun car. I don't keep my shit in the garage 6 days a week.

is this a serious question

If you read the OP, you'll see that I had stated I was decided on a for a after weighing my options, this threads purpose was to get some insight as to potential surprises with each car, as well as the strengths. We all know the strengths of the cobra....

DEFINITELY GTO BRO

U would lol.

Almost word for word that went through my head after reading the topic title LOL

i mean hey, even ford followed the GM brilliant idea of adding a s/c stock :s00ls:

The title is probably a bit misleading from my actual intentions of this thread. See below.

I think everyone missed the point once this became a poll. If you read the OP, you'll see that I have decided the cobra is the best bet. I was looking more for insightful things to look for on them, GTO's as well. Like I said, I am fairly familiar with both cars (owned an LS1 Car for 3 years, know LS motors like the back of my hand) and have done some work on cobra over the years as well. I was looking for, from an owners perspective, the things to look for, good and bad, on each car when going to look at them. As well as some insightful tips about necessary upgrades on each car to handle more power. As far as the cobra is concerned, there's no worries about the integrity of the motor, but... how do those rear ends hold up to 500+ RWHP I will make with pulley, tune, full exhaust, etc... stuff like that will he really helpful to me, not "buy a cobra, you retard" type stuff.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
cobra

Thanks mookey.

The same reasons I saw as well, thanks for your input. I'm fairly concerned about resale, because if I'm not 110% in love with the car by the end of the season, you'll see it in the FS section lol.

Exactly... outdated.

It will be a summer, nice weather DD and fun car. I don't keep my shit in the garage 6 days a week.

If you read the OP, you'll see that I had stated I was decided on a for a after weighing my options, this threads purpose was to get some insight as to potential surprises with each car, as well as the strengths. We all know the strengths of the cobra....

U would lol.

The title is probably a bit misleading from my actual intentions of this thread. See below.

I think everyone missed the point once this became a poll. If you read the OP, you'll see that I have decided the cobra is the best bet. I was looking more for insightful things to look for on them, GTO's as well. Like I said, I am fairly familiar with both cars (owned an LS1 Car for 3 years, know LS motors like the back of my hand) and have done some work on cobra over the years as well. I was looking for, from an owners perspective, the things to look for, good and bad, on each car when going to look at them. As well as some insightful tips about necessary upgrades on each car to handle more power. As far as the cobra is concerned, there's no worries about the integrity of the motor, but... how do those rear ends hold up to 500+ RWHP I will make with pulley, tune, full exhaust, etc... stuff like that will he really helpful to me, not "buy a cobra, you retard" type stuff.

On the flipside, I think the GTO is a hell of a value for a newer modern "muscle car". Take that 04 GTO I found a few months back for $7500. You put $10K into that to bring it up near a cobra cost and you got a pretty sick car. But again, if you are going to build a race car, I don't think either of these are the best just because of the "high" initial costs.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yeah there are GTO and Cobra owners on here but for a larger perspective and greater quantity of material to search through for problems and such be sure to check out the forums of each. LS1GTO.com, svtperformance.com, chicagosvt.com, etc.

cobra

Thanks mookey.

Exactly... outdated.

U would lol.

pullied cobras make around 450 plus or minus based on pulley size and how good the tune is. I am not a fan of any mustang interior besides the cobra. The rear end will be fine if you get a rear diff brace and get out of it if you start getting wheel hop.

KaMaSuTrA

Resident Sexi Man
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago IL
467px-CobraCommander-150.jpg

Thread Info