GM Quality Batterys

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
So I go and start my car, and it has trouble starting. I open up my hood thinking my battery or alternator has taken a shot and I gotta get the car jumped. I look at the battery cables, and tighten them a little more. Next the cable and the post falls completelyhe off the battery. I try to attach it back on but the plastic is broke. Sorry no pics, panda was VERY sad at that moment. and pissed because I have to buy a new battery now. So I take the battery out, which was like a major project on the GP. I get the battery out as acid is leaking out of the hole. I throw it in a box and take it to the Auto Parts Store and I go buy a new battery (Ac Delco $89) My dad and I spent like 20 min trying to get the post off the cable that fucker was on there. We finally get it off and I throw the new battery in. As I am hooking it up the alarm has blasting in my ear as if im trying to steal the car or something. I hook it up and stop the alarm with the keyfob.

The battery was the original one from 2000 so it could have gone any time now, I didnt think the positive post would fall off it though. Thats nice quality GM parts.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
syP said:
on a side note... batteries in the trunk.. FTW

no corrosion
the GM Delco batteries are known for acid to leak from the terminals (and wick down the cables and corrode them from the inside out) and the terminals falling out as well
if i were to put a number to how many i've seen do this i'd put it well over 200
it's a pattern failure issue with the delco batteries thats why i rec replacing them delco's when they are ~5 years old

and seriously...pull the battery back out and soak down the battery tray area and dump most of a box of baking soda all over the place, mix a good bit into a deep cup and soak the battery cable in it as well

i've pulled some 6 and 7 year old delco's out and seen where the battery acid that drained down the battery cables and corroded holes in the sheetmetal not to mention what it does to the copper in the cable jacket....

i fucking hate side post batteries anyways...so we put a toppost DG in the rear of the 442...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
MIKES3 said:
Whats a decent battery to buy other than Optima?
the sears diehard gold batteries are still made by johnson controls so their good, interstate's are great and i've had good luck with the autozone gold batteries...not so much with the valuecraft/middle line batteries but they are good for when your selling a car and dont give a fuck...heheh

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
BruGTP said:
Happened to my old GTP and new one, as well as corrosion on the inside of the positive terminal.

Yea from what I've seen nearly every side post battery leaks a little. AC Delco batteries also suck BTW. GM uses the group 75 and 78s alot. We were replacing batterys in all sorts of new GM vehicles for a while. I mean like 5-10+ trailblazers with dead batteries per week. And quite a few of the other newer models.

No bashin, Just sayin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info