2003 Acura MDX?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
What do youguys think of them? I've been looking for a winter car and got brillinace honda down to a pretty good price on one. It's just the base no navigation, back up cams, or anything fancy like that. It drove great and it was actually owned by one of the servicemen at the dealership. Good carfax, lifetime maintenance records, etc. It's got 105k miles. Crazy clean. What's holding me back though is when I was doing research on that model year I kept seeing things about tranny...specifically torque converter issues. What do youguys think? Anyone on here have any experience owning or working on these things?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've heard on more than a few occasions that the early 00's 3.5 Honda FWD Transmissions were 'glass'...

HOWEVER, If you are looking at spending that kind of coin for a 'winter' car like that one, I URGE you to look at a Saturn VUE redline prior to purchasing the MDX... SAME platform and driveline, probably ALOT cheaper.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
ive seen a ton of trans issues with V6 hondas. soccer mom owned mini vans, sedans, and their SUVs. they are great cars, but the transmissions break under stock power. find out if its been rebuilt

Checked the carfax, never been in a single accident. The car is crazy clean, the leather isn't even cracking yet which at 105k is amazing. It's the 3.5 AWD V6. I heard the TC is what causes the issue. As of right now though the thing drives perfect.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
the converters usually start making a whining/whirring while accelerating, which is the beginning of the end...lol

if you like it id say go for it. every car has its own quirks and set of problems. if you're getting it for a good price why not :dunno:

My brother has an 03 mdx and he said it's been the most reliable car that he's ever had.

That's what I was thinking, and I guess if I have to replace the converter the part itself is only $200 and I can get some dirt cheap labor.

Angus that's what I keep hearing about these things, everyone that owns one loves it. The thing drove beautifully. It needed a jump but they said they'd replace the battery Monday morning. I'm really leaning toward this, I loved the car, it'll be perfect for winter, I think I'll bring one of my mechanics with me on Monday and go for another test drive.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Don't really understand your comparison. From my understanding the Vue just used the Honda engine. The MDX is larger and considerably nicer than the Saturn.

Incorrect:

Acura:

Wheelbase, in. 106.3
Overall Length, in. 188.5
Overall Width, in. 76.3
Overall Height, in. 68.7
Curb Weight, lbs. 4328
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 81.5
Standard Payload, lbs. --
Fuel Capacity, gals. 19.2
Seating Capacity 7
Front Head Room, in. 38.7
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.5
Rear Head Room, in. 39.0
Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 37.8

Saturn VUE:

Specification 4-door wagon
Wheelbase, in. 106.6
Overall Length, in. 181.3
Overall Width, in. 75.5
Overall Height, in. 66.5
Curb Weight, lbs. 3361
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. 63.5
Standard Payload, lbs. --
Fuel Capacity, gals. 15.5
Seating Capacity 5
Front Head Room, in. 40.4
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.2
Rear Head Room, in. 39.9
Max. Rear Leg Room, in. 36.8

Consumer guide 'average pricing' for a good condition 'base' MDX is about $13,200, Vs. the Saturn VUE Redline's $6600......

Biggest difference is the extra storage in the MDX because it is a spec longer *Granted the wheelbases are nearly identical*, the legroom and headroom are negligible.

the MDX is a nicer car build quality wise, but for a winter ride I'd never pick the MDX over the VUE

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Your specs prove my point. More maximum cargo room, wider track, longer length. The Acura's suspension is going to be completely different. They aren't going to drive the same.

It's not the same platform, as you stated it was.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Your specs prove my point. More maximum cargo room, wider track, longer length. The Honda's suspension is going to be completely different. They aren't going to drive the same.

It's not the same platform, as you stated.

Its less than an inch wider, and the wheelbase is less than half an inch different. The MDX is a spec longer which is the reason for the extra cargo space, that really appears to be the only 'big' difference.

I didn't say the FRAME was the exact same, My point was just that they are nearly identical spec wise.

And I don't think performance handling is a big concern in the snow... Just sayin :p

*edit*

Freaking saturn is 1000lbs lighter, JEEZ

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yeah, .3 difference in the wheelbase accounts for 20 more cubic feet in cargo space :ugh:

You're getting away from your comparison that they shared platforms, which simply isn't true, and what I was trying to point out.

I URGE you to look at a Saturn VUE redline prior to purchasing the MDX... SAME platform and driveline, probably ALOT cheaper.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah, .3 difference in the wheelbase accounts for 20 more cubic feet in cargo space :ugh:

You're getting away from your comparison that they shared platforms, which simply isn't true, and what I was trying to point out.

I apologize, I just meant Drivelines. I had thought they were the same, but are obviously not. They ARE however very close *within about an inch all around as far as wheelbase/height/width*

The acura is over-all longer, which accounts for the big difference in cargo space.

My main point is that for 'a winter car' I would not pickup a $13,000 acura :dunno:

I agree with Bikrboy too, if you're hell bent on that acura, have a third party shop take a crack at it to make sure the trans isn't going to implode etc.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
the saturn vue is a cheap rattle trap. not even close to the same car

they should let you bring the car to your mechanic's shop. let your mechanic give it a good shake down/check out on the rack. just because the car was mechanic owned doesnt mean it was taken care of.

That's what I loved about the car, the way it drove. I'm so used to these GM cars, SMACK, over every manhole, crack it the road, etc. And the rattly plastic dashboards. This thing just glides across the road, you can't feel or hear a thing. And this thing was meticulously maintained by Acura dealerships by all 3 owners according to carfax.

Will defiantly be having my private mechanic pick it apart before I make any decisions though.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I took a look at the vue. It looks like a decent car, the only things that I dislike are the last few saturns we had sat on the lot for months, it's like no one wants them anymore, and I want to sell whatever I get quick when the time comes. And looking at the reviews it seems like the only things people dislike about it are the specific things that are drawing toward the mdx. "Noted downsides included below-average build quality, low-grade interior materials, vague steering and weak performance"
It's something to think about though. American cars go cheap at the dealer auctions, I could probably get an 09 for the price I'm about to pay for an 03.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I took a look at the vue. It looks like a decent car, the only things that I dislike are the last few saturns we had sat on the lot for months, it's like no one wants them anymore, and I want to sell whatever I get quick when the time comes. And looking at the reviews it seems like the only things people dislike about it are the specific things that are drawing toward the mdx. "Noted downsides included below-average build quality, low-grade interior materials, vague steering and weak performance"
It's something to think about though. American cars go cheap at the dealer auctions, I could probably get an 09 for the price I'm about to pay for an 03.

Yea, it is much lower quality car, but the 'older' redline trim's have the same setup as the MDX which would take care of the 'weak performance' complaint that the 4 cylinder models I'm sure get all the time.

If it is seriously just a 'winter' car, the VUE body panels won't rust either Lol :rofl:, but yea, I'm sure you could get one for BEANS especially now.

Obviously its your money at the end of the day. Looks like you could probably get an 08-09 XR *V6 model* VUE for about the same money as the 03-04 MDX. Dunno if the build quality inside/outside is different for the newer ones

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Yea, it is much lower quality car, but the 'older' redline trim's have the same setup as the MDX which would take care of the 'weak performance' complaint that the 4 cylinder models I'm sure get all the time.

If it is seriously just a 'winter' car, the VUE body panels won't rust either Lol :rofl:, but yea, I'm sure you could get one for BEANS especially now.

Obviously its your money at the end of the day. Looks like you could probably get an 08-09 XR *V6 model* VUE for about the same money as the 03-04 MDX. Dunno if the build quality inside/outside is different for the newer ones

I'm not worried about the performance, I've got the pontiac for that. I'd actually probably prefer the 4 cyl. model for the MPGs. I'm still considering a GM because I could afford an almost new one still under warranty. Last time I went to the auction with my boss we got two 2010 cobalts with 10k miles for 14k. Perfect condition.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info